Did anyone sign up for OnLive for iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mac.World, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

So, this just went live today for the iPad, essentially turning your iPad into a desktop PC to work on Microsoft's word, excell and powerpoint.

"Based upon OnLive's instant-action cloud gaming technology, OnLive Desktop delivers a seamless Windows desktop experience, with instant-response multi-touch gestures, together with a full on-screen Windows keyboard and handwriting recognition, enabling complete and convenient viewing and editing of even the most complex documents."
    Link: http://desktop.onlive.com/overview

The app is free, and I'm still waiting for access, but if this is true, the iPad takes another step towards a post-pc consumer world. Has anyone received access into this yet? I'm curious how the iPad handles the load and if the apps function as advertised.

2. 199708 macrumors 6502

What I wrote in the other thread.

In the same boat, Also waiting for some real powerhouse apps on the ipad such as word, excel and recently hoping adobe lightroom will release something that i can use on the go seeing as I can view my raw data hen copied to the ipad.

This is worth trying out and seeing how it works, Im sure its not 100% what we are after but a step in the right direction to providing users a valid reason to purchase an ipad.

---

I'm also trying to login, however no luck just yet. :(

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

will be interesting to see how it handles the data requirement if the iPad 3 has the retina quality display

4. Stealthipad, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012

Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

The only problem I see with this app is it needs constant access to the Internet which is not feasable for some in the field. If you are on 3G with a data plan, how much data will this app use?

I would still pay dearly for a Office Suite I can install on my iPad.

I am afraid it is not going to happen.

5. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Based on my experience with CloudOn, which is basically the same thing (a cloud hosted MS office suite) I am not optimistic. CloudOn is just too leggy to be a real productivity tool. And I tried believe me. The interface is also....complex to put it mildly.

I signed up for onlive but am waiting for account activation. That also doesn't bode well. I mean jeez if they're throttling new account additions, I can't imagine performance is very robust.

I'm also bummed (though I get it from a business perspective) that they will throttle performance to free customers so that paid customers have better performance. I wonder...can we sample paid performance before signing up for the paid version?

6. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Based on their cloud gaming, if you have a good Internet connection, you should not experience much in the way of lag. I already had an account with them, so checked it out this morning very briefly. Was impressed by the responsiveness. However I only messed with the windows media player and Word.

7. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

I got an account ok but haven't been able to use it. Every time I try and log on it says it's full. Pretty rubbish really.

I've also tried the CloudOn service and as said above, I find it pretty laggy. But, its big advantage is its ability to connect to DropBox, which OnLive doesn't do. So, in an emergency, I've been able to amend Word files. Wouldn't want to use it on a regular basis though.

8. ghostworld macrumors member

ghostworld

I'm going to try this as soon as I get home tonight. I already have an account so I should be good to go.

9. 01blu-gsr macrumors newbie

Working great for me! It's only lagging when I have multiple programs running.
    Also, I singed up on the web site this morning (10am) and was able to get right on to the app.

10. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I signed up this morning while at work. I'll give it a go this weekend.

11. King Julian macrumors regular

Either this App is not available worldwide or it has been pulled from the App store. I can't seem to find it.

Edit: Only available in North America and the UK

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I signed up and downloaded the app in less than a few minutes. Then when I tried to start the app it took 10 minutes before it would let me OnLive as it says it was full and I must wait.

Nice to see a windows home screen show up on the screen with a full MS Office Suite! To my horror you can only use the OnLive keyboard which has so much lag it is impossible to use.

Is this all there is?:eek:

13. ghostworld macrumors member

ghostworld

Damn, it seems it's not available in Canada yet, I'll have to wait.

14. 01blu-gsr macrumors newbie

You can use a Bluetooth keyboard! This works for me!

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

So a BT keyboard would not have any lag? Interesting.

16. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

I signed up but my account has not been approved yet! :(

17. Mac.World thread starter macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Got in this morning. Pretty simple to the point that it makes me wonder why M$ hasn't released a version of office for the ipad already?

18. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

My account finally went live this morning. I'll be using it over the next few days and posting my thoughts. Lag, and the UI are my primary areas of investigation...

19. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I've been using the Onlive gaming platform and was pretty impressed with implementation and how well it works. The games look almost as good as their locally installed counterparts and are as smooth when playing.

This app is also pretty impressive. While it has some limitations the concept is impressive. It works better than any remote apps that I've tried.

It's exactly as if your running Windows7 on the iPad. The Office apps work very well and the ability to write text by hand or stylus is an added bonus I wasn't expecting.

The biggest limitation as I see it is having to have a solid connection. I don't know how it would over 3G, but I suspect that using LTE would be just fine.

Of course having MS Office installed on the iPad would be the better option but for now this is a viable alternative.

20. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Been playing with it and LAG rules! Someone can have my spot. Looks like I will KEEP waiting for MS to come out with a Office Suite. I would pay what ever!

21. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Are using 3G or wifi? If wifi what's your u/d speed?

22. Mac.World thread starter macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I'm using it on wifi and have zero lag. I did get dropped off once though. But speed wise, it's just as fast as using it on my desktop.

23. rasputinj macrumors regular

It has been laggy for me also, looks like it could have great potential, but the lag sucks.

24. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

Pretty much unusable. Great potential, but it "unfocuses" so much, you can't even see it.

25. Masterfox72 macrumors member

For all intents and purposes, if you want Office, CloudOn is the best option. Plus it has unbeatable Dropbox integration.