Did anyone think the Watch wasn't that special?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by totten76, Apr 10, 2015.

1. totten76 macrumors regular

totten76

Of course none of us have had actual usage with the watch because they were all demos, but after my appointment today, I really was shocked at how non-special the watch was.

I ordered the 38mm Stainless Steal with Black Classic Buckle. The price was $705.
    Went to the store for my appointment and here's what I observed.

-On the wrist the watch really does feel very light. Compared to the Invicta I was wearing it was virtually weightless. Moving my wrist around, the watch felt very secure.
    -The Milanese loop is a really cool band. Very comfy
    -The magnet ideas are great for the perfect fitting watch.

But none of this makes the watch $700

From some reviews and the hype I was expecting something that made me go. "Hmmmm this is pretty nifty", instead I felt like I was just buying a $700 full color display watch. For $700 you can get a Swiss fake Rolex. Of course you can go with the sport and pay around $350, but Apple wants to charge $250 for a strap? Haha that just blows my mind. $250 is a couple nice looking Invictas or even a Eco-Drive

Sure none of the other watches are "smart" watches, but that's not the point. For $700 I expected something that would at least catch my eye and make me feel like it was $700. I was sadly disappointed.

2. deadstockmarket macrumors regular

deadstockmarket

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Go try on a Pebble watch and let's have this conversation again :)

4. sterl320 macrumors 6502

5. totten76 thread starter macrumors regular

totten76

Hey I'm not saying it's not the best smart watch. Was just disappointed realizing how far $700 would get me, when not spent on something I'm not fully proud of. :/

6. Eric5964 macrumors regular

Eric5964

Gimme a real Apple watch over a fake Rolex any day of the week.....

EricE

7. mackinmike macrumors 6502

I also thought it was meh. Lots of hype but no substance. On top of that I don't like the looks of it. Looking for something that resembles a real watch.

8. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Lol.

Oh to think if we had traditionalists like yourself running tech companies. Cell phones would have a rotary dial and corded handset. :)

9. mackinmike macrumors 6502

Yall too sensitive to negative comments. Lol.. smh.

10. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

Trying it on tomorrow. I'm expecting to be impressed. I have no doubt that I will love it!

11. totten76 thread starter macrumors regular

totten76

That's how I was until GG

12. hojoon0724 macrumors regular

Yup. There was no wow factor. I'm getting one anyways. If I don't like it, then I can always sell it.

13. KhunJay macrumors regular

KhunJay

Its not for me...im not betting that it will become a cult must-have object either...but this thread meade me google Invicta...lol...whats that all about?

14. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

It's only as good as the apps.

Just like the rest of the eco.

If there are no apps it's not anything. It's not a watch really anyway, what with 14 hr battery life.

We shall see :)

15. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Hope you back it up and cancel your order. Someone may get a bump in delivery date.

16. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I'm the opposite. I'm even. Ore excited now that I've tried it on!

It looked and felt perfect and I really think it's going to make a difference to my life.

17. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

It's a great piece of kit but it hasn't reached its full potential yet. It is limited in what it can do at the.moment but once the developers get to grips with it then it will offer a lot more.

18. RodDavies macrumors regular

RodDavies

Yeah. I just thought it was ok. Nothing SPECIAL. the band were lovely... Especially, I thought, the sports ones. The crown seemed sturdier on the stainless steel model, the one on the sports model a shade flimsier. The screen was nice but SO prone to fingerprints. Laggy Apps. Haptic was nice as demoed. But not earth shattering and no way the nicest thing Apple have ever produced.

I wanted to like it.
    I thought I wouldn't.
    And I didn't really.

Neither did the wife who, during the Apple presentation of the device said she so wanted one of those. Now, no thanks.

19. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

You see value in a fake rolex so go get it. I wouldn't pay 1 cent for anything fake

20. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I probably wouldn't spend $700 on the Apple Watch, personally, so I understand some of what the OP is saying. On the other hand, I think the $400 price point is pretty reasonable.

21. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

22. richardjhurst macrumors member

Let me start by saying I'm a huge Apple fanboy and have a iPhone 6, Mac mini, iPad mini, MacBook Air, 2 x 27" iMacs and the list goes on. I preordered the 42mm space grey sport and had my try on appointment at midday today. I've left the shop and am totally disappointed. The 42mm is too small for my liking, coming from a Brietling Superocean it feels tiny on my large wrists. It also felt to light and cheap. The jog dial was not to my liking. I'm gutted. I had big hopes for this. I will now just sell mine on for a profit when it arrives.

23. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Let's put a few things in perspective here.

$350.00 buys you all the features/functionality that the Apple watch has to offer. Anything beyond the Sport model you are paying for luxury. If you feel that you are not getting enough luxury at the $700.00 price point no one is forcing you to buy that model.

The $350.00 Apple Watch Sport brings with it the features/functions of:

Fitbit: Tracks your steps and heart rate. Costs $200.00

iPod Nano: convenient way to listen to music as you run or exercise. Costs $129 (someone correct me on price if I'm off)

Smartwatch: Watches like the Pebble Steel cost $200.00 and don't even have a touch screen to interact with.

I'm getting an Apple watch because I want all the features the devices above have to offer. I also want more luxury so I went with the SS model w/ Milanese loop.