Did anyplace Sell Out?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Pigumon, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Pigumon macrumors 6502

Pigumon

I walked into my local best buy at 4:45PM and they had a huge stock. Last year iPad 2's were gone in half a second.

My guess is most people are satisfied with their 1's & 2's, and only newcomers, original ipadders, or niche people who want the better screen are buying.

Honestly, though I'm not let down at all by the screen, I feel let down because iPad 2 was perfect except for the screen...

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I don't think that's the case, I just think supply wasn't as restricted this time around.

3. gigaguy macrumors 65816

3 had online ore-ordering, ipad2 did not, huge difference.

4. Rogue. macrumors regular

I went to Currys/PCWorld at about 3pm to buy a case and there were 4 sales assistants stood by the iPad display area.

They said they had plenty of stock, and no one had asked about the 3rd gen iPad for over an hour LOL.

5. redout macrumors member

I collected mine at Currys in Lisburn about 3pm yesterday and the chap told me they had sold over 50 by that stage but still had some left. I think apple were just better prepared this time around i.e. more stock.

6. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

I believe all the Walmarts sold out due to the 12am opening but I should have waited before buying one. 3 out of 3 locations I called still had plenty in stock in various colors and capacities. The nut jobs on craigslist are charging at least $100 over retail but you can walk into any Sams club and get any wifi model for $10 cheaper. And the Apple store still has plenty of stock at least in my area.
    To be honest I think demand is not there for what ever reason. I found it strange that after 2 full days you could still pre-order 16 out of the 18 models and then bam; every last model showed a March 19th date and then a day later every model shows 2 to 3 weeks.
    There was a reason why Tim Cook cashed out $11 million in stocks on March 12th. Think about it. March 7th was the announcement and the only people that truly knew what the demand would be like is Apple. It was actually genius what Tim Cook did. It's legalized insider trading. Do a announcement to get the stocks to go up. Do a pre-order system so that you can judge if demand is there and only top Apple executives would truly know the number. Delay pre-order times on purpose to show demand. Then sale your stocks. And then watch Apple stocks fall because the new ipad will not meet expectations because there's plenty sitting on store shelves. People are watching the left hand but they do not know what the right hand is doing. Can you really trust the richest company on the planet?

7. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Wow. Lots of assumptions there. You know what they say about people who assume too much ...

Anyway, we'll find out from the sales numbers soon enough. I personally think they stuffed the channels this year, anticipating high demand. That plus the ability to pre-order cut down on wait times this year.

8. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

ROTFLMBFAO! As much as I hate Apple and would love to believe that but it's totally and completely absurd. $11mill to Tim Cook is lunch money. He probably needed it to refill the tank on his jet and didn't have his credit card handy.

9. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

But I got you thinking right?

----------

$11 million is still $11 million.

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If he had of waited just 24 hours it would have been closer to $12 million. So much for your know all conspiracy theory.:D

The reason Cook sold some stock is simple: Cash Flow. You don't pay your electrical bill (or any other bill) in Apple stock.

11. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

To answer the OP, around here - Northern NJ - the 3 Targets & 2 Walmarts I went to yesterday after 11AM etc sold out but (according to them) got very few. 2 of my local Target's said they got like 12 total.

The 3 Best Buys I checked out and the Apple store in Menlo Park NJ Mall were without lines and had inventory stacked to the ceiling of all types and sizes.

Funniest part was the Apple store. There were like 20 security people and 30+ sales kiddies standing around and no one buying anything (lots of people playing wit hthe computers and iPads on display). You could barely walk through the store, not because of the customers but because you'd trip over a security person or sales drone every place you moved.

Yet everything you see on TV is showing the masses queued up at the NYC store looking like they are waiting for the resurrection of Steve Jobs. Apple has the press wrapped around their fingers. The free publicity they get is astounding.

FWIW, I got one on a preorder but decided to check out all the non-hype in the area for the fun of it.

12. shortys408 macrumors regular

They really should have included siri. Than the non 4G model would be more of an upgrade. I returned mine after comparing it to my iPad 2.

13. vertigomhs macrumors member

i went to / called about 6 stores in the LA area, all were sold out of the white 16gb wifi :(

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

That doesn't make sense anyway you look at it. The iPad is nowhere near consumer saturation point. 55m iPads were sold in 2010 and 2011 combined. There are over 1 billion people in just U.S., Canada, and Europe. That's a heck of a lot of available "newcomers." But your hypothesis implies that the new iPad had a weak launch based on easy availability at stores.

Another view, same coin:

Last years iPad 2 launch weekend was U.S. only and no pre-sales. Apple sold 1m units. This year Apple launched simulatenously in 10 major countries + a pre-sale in each of those countries. But again your hypothesis implies that most consumers skipped the new iPad ignoring the possibility that Apple just made a whole lot more units this year vs. last.

The sales estimates should be released on Monday. I think you are going to be in for a shock.

15. esanker macrumors newbie

It figures. With the high gas prices, there are more important things than getting an iPad.

16. shotts56 macrumors 6502

Try moving to the UK, when you'll know all about high gas/petrol prices. £1.42 a litre at the moment, which translates to approx £6.44 (or US$10) a gallon.

Welcome to rip-off Britain.

17. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

As far as I can tell from the serial number postings, apple has been building these things since new years. That is 3.5 months! They likely have more initial stock than ever before.

If you read the Steve jobs book, you'd know that he kept tweaking products until he was forced to ship it. He never gave anyone time to prepare anything. I'm sure that Tim cook is a little more rational in that respect and the supply shortages won't be a problem in the future.

18. Built macrumors 68020

I think Apple was smart in not only opening the iPad to pre-orders, but also (seemingly) doing a MUCH better job than last year getting new iPads into the pipeline before/during/after launch day. (Of course, there were some issues beyond Apple's control last year, ie. the earthquakes in Japan).

Frankly, I believe that the experience last year was SO unpleasant for so many of us that Apple was concerned that people would just say, "Screw it" when the Apple 3 came out. While I knew that ultimately I would get an iPad 3, I was literally dreading this year's process of securing one.

Of course...do I actually NEED a new iPad? No. I knew, however, I would get one and the thought of going through what we all went through last year made me seriously reconsider.

I'm glad it's going better this year, and I'm loving my 3.

19. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

You definitely got me thinking. I'm thinking your tinfoil hat needs an adjustment.

20. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

It was funny when I was in best buy and the clerk told me I needed to decide quickly if I wanted one because they were selling out quick. I would have believed him if we were not the only 2 people standing in computers.

21. Skunkape123 macrumors member

not sure about BB in my area, but i was able to go to apple at 5pm yesterday and pick one up with no issue.

was told by one of the employees that their store received a shipment of 2400 new ipads.

22. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

If your still looking for one ill sell you mine, I preordered it, then ended up going into the store for a 32 verizon model so now I have it getting ready to return it to the store.

So if your willing to pay $528 paypal gift (price after taxes) + whatever shipping mode you want I can send it your way.

23. dmylrea macrumors 68000

dmylrea

I'm not sure what I believe less--anything Apple says, or Soviet propaganda from the cold war era. ;)

24. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Apple sold 15 million iPads in one quarter last year. That means they can manufacture at least 5 million per month. Taking that into account, and assuming that they've been making these since November or December, one could assume that they will had beast 20,000,000+ units on hand for launch.

They probably allocated at least one or 2 million To retail stores. The rest were sent off to other countries, as well as to fulfill preorders. With that said, I would not be surprised if they said they sold at least five or 10 million of these during the launch week. This is of course worldwide, not just in the USA.

25. NateEssex macrumors 6502

Menlo Park

I was at Meno Park too, at about 3PM. I just went in to play with the new iPad. Then I left, thought about it and got on line. I spent 30 minutes with an Apple salesman and we compared the iPad2 with the new iPad and aside from the higher quality icons, couldn't see much of a difference. We watched the Avengers trailer side by side, downloaded HD pics, etc. the big difference was sharper text in iBooks.

Ultimately, I left empty handed. They only had wifi and Verizon models left, which I find weird. Verizon models can be used as hotspots and have faster networks here in the NJ area.

Also, I felt like there should have been the choice between a 64G and 128G model. 16 & 32 are too small if you want to have media on the iPad, which I really do.