Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
None of this will matter in 2 weeks. I remember people being FURIOUS at the design of the iPhone 4 (from the leak), and thinking that it was ugly and no one would like it. Once people got it in their hands that all changed.

The notch is necessary and lets us have some pretty awesome technology. The screen color from an angle is a known OLED downfall, but who actually looks at their phone at an angle that often? And Face ID is going to be the new standard across all phones, so we can only improve from here...and I think this is a pretty good start.

I think Apple has bitten off exactly enough, and is changing the game once again.
Well stated

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
WTF IS IT WITH THE SEEMS?

NOT THE SEEMS!!!

ITS SO UN APPLE TO HAVE SEEMS!!!

THOSE SEEMS ARE SO UGLY!

IM NOT BUYING A PHONE WITH SEEMS!!!

WHAT IDIOT DESIGNS A PHONE WITH GLASS BACKS?!?!

GLASS BACKS ARE THE DUMBEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
None of this will matter in 2 weeks. I remember people being FURIOUS at the design of the iPhone 4 (from the leak), and thinking that it was ugly and no one would like it. Once people got it in their hands that all changed.

The notch is necessary and lets us have some pretty awesome technology. The screen color from an angle is a known OLED downfall, but who actually looks at their phone at an angle that often? And Face ID is going to be the new standard across all phones, so we can only improve from here...and I think this is a pretty good start.

I think Apple has bitten off exactly enough, and is changing the game once again.

Lol...the notch is absolutely not necessary.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Everything I have read has been super positive regarding the X. The notch is a non issue, screen is a major upgrade from the 8 plus, and Face ID works really well and fast. Can't wait to get mine.

Reactions: HEK

balaplus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
Ultimately, even if the Face ID works well, what Apple needs is the perception of a perfect phone to sell in large numbers at high prices!
The more new parts you have, the more the chances of something not standing up to scrutiny..

Reactions: sdwaltz

iScone

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Lol...the notch is absolutely not necessary.

If it isn't the notch, it's a bezel. You might be happy with them on your Plus, but most people would rather be without. Given tech doesn't yet exist to place all the sensors within the screen, I don't see how the notch isn't necessary. It's an unfortunate necessity, but it's better than the colossal housing on your phone.

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
If it isn't the notch, it's a bezel. You might be happy with them on your Plus, but most people would rather be without. Given tech doesn't yet exist to place all the sensors within the screen, I don't see how the notch isn't necessary. It's an unfortunate necessity, but it's better than the colossal housing on your phone.

Who says the bezel/housing needs to be "colossal"?

Look at how far the "notch" comes down from the top. What is it, maybe 1/4 inch? From a design perspective, it would've made far, far, far more sense to have a 1/4 inch bezel, housing the earpiece and truedepth camera, that goes above the screen.

I stand by what I said. Not necessary.

balaplus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
Who says the bezel/housing needs to be "colossal"?

Look at how far the "notch" comes down from the top. What is it, maybe 1/4 inch? From a design perspective, it would've made far, far, far more sense to have a 1/4 inch bezel, housing the earpiece and truedepth camera, that goes above the screen.

I stand by what I said. Not necessary.
The top bezel reduction could have easily been done last year at Iphone 7 - they wouldn't then look like copying the S8!

DiveKitty

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2017
People hated TouchID when it first came out. Now some don't like FaceID, the same ones who hated touchID, but now think it's great.

Give me back my Slide to Unlock!

Oh yeah, and GETOFFMYLAWN!

But seriously, I am really excited to try out the FaceID when my X gets here today.

malevolant

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Boston, MA
I love my phone. FaceID works great. I have the phone on a wireless charging dock at an angle that picks up my face sitting normally in my desk chair. 0 complaints thus far.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
In the end it will be like every other iPhone. Some people will love it, some people will hate it, and millions and millions will buy it just because it's an iPhone but actually have no strong feelings about it one way or the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: balaplus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.