Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
The early years of iPhone had vital upgrades:
  • Noticeably faster CPUs and GPUs.
  • More RAM.
  • More storage.
  • New sensors (accelerometer, barometer, compass, gyroscope).
  • New networks (3G, etc.).
  • Retina displays.
  • Bigger displays.
  • Better cameras and lenses.
  • Touch ID.
  • NFC.
  • etc.
Later models are not as significant because the biggest differences, Retina display to OLED and TouchID to FaceID are kind of side-grades.

What can they add or improve, hardware-wise, where it makes a noticeable difference in how you interact with a device or the quality of content you can use on your device?

The biggest problems are in software, namely, iOS. More specifically, with having a model that is so app-centric and restricted that it gimps tons of workflows and tasks that are easy on laptops.

stafil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2017
What can they add or improve, hardware-wise, where it makes a noticeable difference in how you interact with a device or the quality of content you can use on your device?

I see this argument being used all the time, but it’s really a trick question.

1. People were saying the same at the age of Nokia phones. Then iPhone came out and took everybody by surprise.

2. If anybody really knew the answer they wouldn’t be here talking to us. They would be either starting their own company or working for Apple.

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
No it's not a trick question. I'm asking what can be done.

1. People were saying the same at the age of Nokia phones. Then iPhone came out and took everybody by surprise.

So an answer in the Nokia-era was the iPhone.

What's going to iPhone the current iPhone? Or even improve upon it enough for me to care to upgrade every other year?

2. If anybody really knew the answer they wouldn’t be here talking to us. They would be either starting their own company or working for Apple.
Everyone here talks about an ARM Mac. Doesn't mean they can do it. Talk is cheap and implementation is everything.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

Nokia’s were about an eighth of the price of an iPhone so these days it’s more of an informed purchase with an iPhone. At this level iPhones don’t change enough year on year to be losing £200-300 swapping out for another iPhone that is slightly faster and looks a bit different.

Reactions: Raist3001

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
I agree, even though I think it's funny how last year I thought the X was too expensive and told myself i'd never drop that kinda money on a phone, then the next year proceeded to drop that amount of money + an extra $200 for the Max lol. I can only justify it because I will most likely be keeping this for 3 years, maybe even 4. Otherwise, there is no way in hell i'm dropping $1249 every year for a phone. Apple can kick rocks with that bs lol

This is exactly me!!! The Xs is future proof for no less than the next 3 years.

I also said I'd never spend that kind of money on a phone. This Silver 256GB IPhone Xs is the dream iPhone I've wanted for years!!! Wireless charging, no home button, and now 600mhz as a loyal T-Mobile customer I'm GOOD TO GO, for some time!!!

Reactions: MyMacintosh

raylo32

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2018
Yup, phones are crazy $$$, prices headed up, up, up while all other electronics prices go down, down, down. I just spent ~$800 on the XR, a non-flagship model... that still should be viable for several years with the hardware spec it has. It had better be....

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
This is exactly me!!! The Xs is future proof for no less than the next 3 years.

I also said I'd never spend that kind of money on a phone. This Silver 256GB IPhone Xs is the dream iPhone I've wanted for years!!! Wireless charging, no home button, and now 600mhz as a loyal T-Mobile customer I'm GOOD TO GO, for some time!!!
the silver is honestly so stunning. Every time I see that back I gasp a little bit and stare at it lol

Reactions: Wide opeN

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Pricing is heading up because Apple buyers are affluent and can afford anything Apple makes. People who have Android phones are nearly twice as likely to default on credit card loans as those who own iPhones. That finding supports the generally accepted notion that people who buy iPhones are more affluent than other smartphone users because iPhones are more expensive. What type of smartphone a consumer owns has proven to be one of the best indictors of whether someone is in the top 25% of income distribution, according to a Frankfurt School study.

Further, even Apple users making purchases on their cell phones are three times more likely to default on an order than those who do their online shopping from a desktop computer, and two and half times as likely to default than those who order from tablets.

People who only use lower case letters when entering their name and shipping addresses were found to be “more than twice as likely to default as those writing names and addresses with first capital letters,”

People who shop online at night are two times more likely to default on payments versus those who shop during the day. The study found that “customers purchasing between noon and 6 p.m. are approximately half as likely do default as customers purchasing from midnight to 6 a.m.”

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Pricing is heading up because Apple buyers are affluent and can afford anything Apple makes. People who have Android phones are nearly twice as likely to default on credit card loans as those who own iPhones. That finding supports the generally accepted notion that people who buy iPhones are more affluent than other smartphone users because iPhones are more expensive. What type of smartphone a consumer owns has proven to be one of the best indictors of whether someone is in the top 25% of income distribution, according to a Frankfurt School study.

Further, even Apple users making purchases on their cell phones are three times more likely to default on an order than those who do their online shopping from a desktop computer, and two and half times as likely to default than those who order from tablets.

People who only use lower case letters when entering their name and shipping addresses were found to be “more than twice as likely to default as those writing names and addresses with first capital letters,”

People who shop online at night are two times more likely to default on payments versus those who shop during the day. The study found that “customers purchasing between noon and 6 p.m. are approximately half as likely do default as customers purchasing from midnight to 6 a.m.”

I never trust surveys that claim iPhone users are more affluent simply because I see far too many examples in daily life where that is proven to be absolute tripe lol.

Reezus

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2018

This is a joke right? Not everyone who buys an iPhone or an Android phone is well off. Judging someone by their phone of choice is about as basic as it gets. Beyond that, Android competes at the low,mid and high end, some of those folks don't have a lot of money. What does that have to do with Apple and this thread?

Reactions: Shanghaichica

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I never trust surveys that claim iPhone users are more affluent simply because I see far too many examples in daily life where that is proven to be absolute tripe lol.

This is a joke right? Not everyone who buys an iPhone or an Android phone is well off. Judging someone by their phone of choice is about as basic as it gets. Beyond that, Android competes at the low,mid and high end, some of those folks don't have a lot of money. What does that have to do with Apple and this thread?

as astonishing as it sounds, this seems to be the case in reality and it has been pointed out in various statistical data and surveys.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/research-shows-different-mobile-os-users-spending-habits_id106795

http://uk.businessinsider.com/apple-users-spend-twice-apps-vs-android-charts-2018-7

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/13/u...017-have-an-average-of-45-apps-installed/amp/

I know this to be one of the major reasons why a lot of corporate companies choose to focus on iOS way more than Android. Data don’t lie. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I have never seen what you describe

I was just making the point that I see hundreds of non affluent people on a daily basis who use iPhones. You only have to look at the nuns at my daughters school who are far from well off or the workers on the factory floor at the company where I work. It’s a good job really as you’d create a stereotype and assume someone using an iPhone must be rich but it’s rarely the case these days.

Reactions: akash.nu

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I was just making the point that I see hundreds of non affluent people on a daily basis who use iPhones. You only have to look at the nuns at my daughters school who are far from well off or the workers on the factory floor at the company where I work. It’s a good job really as you’d create a stereotype and assume someone using an iPhone must be rich but it’s rarely the case these days.

If they’re on the latest models then one should wonder if they’re really in as bad a condition as you think they are.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
This is classic one-sided, upside-down, spotlight ‘research’. It’s exactly the sort of report that will end up forming the basis of clickbait headlines for months to come.

The real question here isn’t about the smartphone you own predicting your wealth, it’s more like “why are users in the top 25% of earners more likely to buy an iPhone?” Start looking into that and then we’re getting somewhere useful.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
If they’re on the latest models then one should wonder if they’re really in as bad a condition as you think they are.

Some are the latest models, some last years and some iPhone 7’s. I don’t think you can fake where you live and what you earn etc. Some people simply are happy to prioritise a phone over other things which is why you can’t assume someone is well off by the phone they use.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
And all the people on benefits with iPhones.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I used this example in a previous thread, My neighbor is a Certified board Podiatrist, an makes well over a million in gross income annually, and uses a cracked 5s. I think my point speaks is clear we all value different things, but an iPhone doesn’t define you’re overall well-being, not when they can be financed in today’s society.

Last edited:
Reactions: I7guy and akash.nu

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Some are the latest models, some last years and some iPhone 7’s. I don’t think you can fake where you live and what you earn etc. Some people simply are happy to prioritise a phone over other things which is why you can’t assume someone is well off by the phone they use.

Just can’t fathom how some people can prioritise a phone over their quality of life.

Reactions: the caveman

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I used this example in a previous thread, My neighbor is a Certified board Podiatrist, an makes well over a million in gross income annually, and uses a cracked 5s. I think my point speaks is clear we all value different things, but an iPhone doesn’t define you’re overall well-being, not when they can be financed in today’s society.

Not at an anecdotal/ individual level but when it comes to statistics, the numbers don’t lie. But then if one is looking for a correlation then any number can be associated with anything.

Reactions: 44267547

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Just can’t fathom how some people can prioritise a phone over their quality of life.
You’d be surprised. There are people here on benefits paying £80 per month for Sky TV, pay £10 a day for a packets of fags, can’t afford to drive but use brand new iPhones at the school gates all thanks to the British tax payer.

There are guys on our factory floor who earn minimum wage but have top of the range smartphones. In their case they don’t have huge outgoings so can afford it. Some even drive flashy cars but again it’s all they spend their money on.

Contrast that to my boss who is one of the richest men in the Netherlands, drives several Porsche’s but uses an iPhone 7+. This is why I laugh when people suggest you can tell if someone is affluent by the mobile phone they use. You simply can’t due to how easy it is to finance phones and people from all demographics and backgrounds often splash out on expensive gadgets.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Sure they could have done that. But they didn’t. They innovated and delivered a better solution rather than the clunky, makeshift solution that is widely criticised on other devices.

If you were to go out and ask iPhone X-series users whether they want touchID under the glass, the answer would be a resounding “er...why?!”

I love Face ID and do not want Touch ID under the screen. Wouldn’t that make screens more expensive to replace and thus make iPhones even more expensive for the consumer?

RebelOU812

Suspended
Nov 20, 2018
The South
They killed it with the iPhone 7. You can take a A9 device, root it, and make your phone work around you, instead of forcing yourself to conform to the phone. Then the A9 thrashes the walled in ecosystem on the A10, A11 & A12...plus has 4x the sound quality. The audio quality is trash post A9.

I have had a lot of Apple employees seriously triggered when I speak truth to customers in their store, because they can't polish that piece of turd enough to sell once the consumer know what's up.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.