Did Apple store lie to me???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by smkkm5, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smkkm5 macrumors newbie

I am kind of concerned.... This is how my iphone purchase went down...

I purchased my Iphone 3g at an apple store and the man pluged it into one of the iMac computers and told me they do this to activate the iphones.... so later I brought it home and went inot the iphone store and it was asking me for a itunes password for some random email that I never seen in my life... then I check the weather and it shows the weather for a place called Capertino, USA.... and all my time zone and stuff is in Cupertino, USA ..... now is this a used phone? or did all this information transfer from the imac that the rep connected my iphone too when I bought my phone.

2. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

Apple is headquartered in Cupertino, so everything on your phone will be set to PST you must change this. They didn't "lie" to you you just arent thinking. As with the password I have no idea what you are talking about

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I can't believe this question was actually asked! My iPhone last year was the first Apple product I purchased besides an iPod. When I saw that the weather was already set to Cupertino, I knew it was meant just as an example and all iPhones were like that. This post made me laugh!

4. smkkm5 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. smkkm5 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I click on apple store on my iphone it asked me for my apple account password and it had someone elses email already on it... I had to restore my iphone because of this

6. jcde7ago macrumors 6502

jcde7ago

Not trying to be mean, but there seems to be a large influx of iPhone users who seem to have no clue about even the most basic things. I mean, granted, the friggin' phone is one of the most feature-rich electronic devices yes, but people can't seem to figure out the simplest things and it makes me wonder why they would even choose such a device or if they should be allowed to own one. It's like buying a Ferrari and not knowing ANYTHING about its history (so no appreciation there) let alone how to change a flat tire....:confused:

7. phannon666 macrumors regular

Let me guess, the email was for John Appleseed? :D

8. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

It's because the guy at the Apple Store plugged it into a computer with iTunes that had someone signed in. It's not a big deal, and it's not some scam, the iPhone always keeps the last iTunes account in the iPhone. That will almost always be yours, and therefore not an issue. :)

I sometimes charge my iPhone at a friend's house, using the charger he has hooked into his computer. When I do it and don't cancel the sync fast enough, it puts his e-mail into my iPhone's iTunes account. No biggie. It resets when I sync it to my computer again.

9. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Don't take it personal I was a noob a about 10 post ago. It's all in good fun.

10. jcde7ago macrumors 6502

jcde7ago

This thread fails. It fails HARD. And yet i lol'd...so it must be made partly of God and win.

Can i haz DIVISION BY ZERO NAO PLZ?! :D

All jokes aside, that is NOT the reason why iPhones contain information from Cupertino. That is all default, factory settings, it has nothing to do with whatever computer the Apple rep. plugged it into as it is not yet ACTIVATED. And seriously, you should learn to use the AC adapter that came with your friend's phone...yeah, it might be fine syncing now but once you both get a lot more loaded into your phones, it's going to be a mess. Please do not give out bad advice... :rolleyes:

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

++++
    It is a little...baffling. Aren't these guys supposed to be the young ones who grew up with computers and cell phones as well?

12. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I wasn't talking about the Cupertino stuff, which had already been addressed. :rolleyes::rolleyes: I've had Apple products for over 25 years, so I'm well aware of Cupertino as the default. I just didn't feel the need to repeat what had been said several times.

Yes, as Phil said, I was talking about the iTunes e-mail/account issue, which, amazingly enough, is what I said.

I'm not giving out bad advice, you're simply not very good at reading comprehension.

And gee, thanks for the unsolicited advice on how to take care of my phone. I'm having not one problem with it, but I'll be sure to listen to some random guy who can't read.

13. jcde7ago macrumors 6502

jcde7ago

Never asked you to listen, and how does one write/type when one cannot read? :rolleyes:

Anyways, you might be fine plugging in your iPhone to a friend's computer and letting it sync if you don't hit the "X" button fast enough, and then having to resync it when you get home..that's all good and well. But stating this in a public forum where a lot of people who do not know better roam/lurk around and saying "No biggie" is just not something you should be saying. If people who have large amounts of apps and data stored on their phone do this and sync it to a friends computer and think it's all fine and dandy and has automatic syncing on, there is going to be a mess. With backups and such taking up too much time as it is, this suggestion is simply unwarranted.

But i guess i directly addressed YOU, and clearly instructed YOU on what to do with YOUR phone, right? Even flash drives have limited read/write cycles, so if you wanna keep doing what you're doing, then by all means. But i am going to disagree with you politely and say it IS a big deal, and no one else should be doing this...and that is of course MY opinion.

14. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

YOU TELL EM jcde7ago sometimes people don't read!!

15. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

What I actually said was reading comprehension. Look it up.

Are you saying you didn't directly address me?
    Looks to be addressed to me.

And BTW, I don't sync with my friend's iTunes, I cancel the sync. Hence the phrase "when I don't cancel the sync fast enough." We both have tons of apps, a lot of work and documents on our iPhones, and coincidentally, no problems. Amazing that we've managed to make it this far, huh?

When I said "no biggie," I meant that there was another e-mail account in the Original Poster's iPhone. I wasn't telling anyone else to do what I do, or not.

Whatever. I'm done trying to help you understand basic English. Have fun.

To the Original Poster, I hope you found the answers to your questions somewhere in this ridiculousness.

16. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

you might not want to use abreviations such as OP he might not get them lol

17. Rigsby macrumors regular

OP, have you checked the speakers at the bottom?

If one doesn't work it's a very common problem and you should get the phone replaced.

18. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

oh yes mine had the same issue man this 3G thing sucks!!:D

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

As much as I enjoy a good ribbing this thread is awful. One of the best things about macrumors is that it's such a friendly source of information for those starting out with anything Apple. Anyone can ask a question at any level and usually receive help/encouragement/advice. That's what has made it such a great forum over the years. Having a whole thread (bar a couple of posts) at the expense of a new poster really isn't conducive to the feel of the community.

There's no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

20. philgilder macrumors 68000

it should be friendly, and when i joined about a year ago it still was
    most of the forums on here are, but the iphone forum is probably the nastiest forum out there
    and i think its because there are many stupid questions (this question is not) - but things like "one speaker broken", "whats this dot next to at&t" etc are stupid, simply because an answer can be found by reading the manual or spending 2 minutes on google, and people get infuriated by 1st time posters not bothering to research things

21. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

22. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Everyone in this thread, go to your room. No dessert.

23. robrose20 macrumors 6502

robrose20

mine was the same way. Change your location, Apple is based in Cuppertino California. Its not a used phone.

24. ACKRITE macrumors member

ACKRITE

While I agree with most of your post, you can be rest assured that the majority of people who own a Ferrari have no idea how to change a flat tire, and even if they did they would opt to pay someone else to get their hands dirty. That's at least how most of the Ferrari owners I know are.

Peace.

25. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Which makes it annoying to Ferrari owners who have actually taken the time to research and appreciate their car, and don't just view at as another vehicle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.