Did everyone who bought a rMBP get additional warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dammit Cubs, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

Either Applecare or Best Buy Service Warranty.

Applecare is $300 - covers 3 years (actually just gives two years extended).

Best Buy Accidental Protection $450 is 4 years and covers any physical damage or accidental coverage.

2. cgully macrumors newbie

I didn't, as I never have before with Apple products and I've had good luck so far. Given that it's a 10% premium, it just seems like overkill.

But for anyone who has that little bit of extra cash, there's nothing wrong with a bit more peace of mind. But please don't get the warranty from BestBuy. We should do anything we can to stop them from continuing to make money through the provision of inexperienced, ignorant, and apathetic service. In my most humble opinion.

3. Dammit Cubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I'm more concern with the potential risk of memory failure since the RAM is located on the logic board. The SSD i can always find a replacement, not so much the ram.

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I will have a year to decide once i take delivery of my rMBP if I want to proceed with AppleCare. if these first gen rMBP`s prove to be troublesome then yes, if not like all my other Mac`s the $$$ will go towards the next machine ;)

Buying AppleCare on day one makes no sense, after 11 months you will have a far greater understanding of the reliability of the particular machine and the line as a whole :apple:

Before anyone says; iCal set a reminder :p

5. cgully macrumors newbie

Excellent advice, thank you!

6. gpzjock, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

gpzjock macrumors 6502a

The battery is glued to the case ($200 replacement fee!) and the SSD has a non standard connector I hope you can find a replacement after market one, OWC are working on it. Soldering the RAM on adds insult to injury.
    Making all the easily replaceable parts non user replaceable is a deal breaker for many.
    If you are buying a rMBP to keep long term Applecare is a must imho.
    I'm wondering the replacement cost of a retina screen too.....
    All the problems I have had with Apple products have been in the laptop department I wouldn't trust one as far as I can throw it.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think AC is even more important now on the new retina-MBPs than previous models because you have less control with the insides. I also have always bought AC on my laptops because I think anything with a display should be covered. It's silly and I've actually only used AC on my MacPro, but I like peace of mind.

8. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I bought AppleCare at the student price ($239) - Plus, with my Discover Card they add an additional year. So I have four years of warranty.

My concerns:

1) First generation product (in many ways)

2) Low repairability, investment more apt to pay off

Well worth it.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

Hopefully Apple does as well with the R-MBP on-board RAM design as they did with the MBA. The Airs are coming up on five years with no major run of RAM incidents being reported in the Air forum here.

AFAIK, the cost to replace the battery is the same with or w/o AppleCare, if that was going to be a deciding factor for anyone.

10. double329 macrumors 6502

I do like BB extended w. I used it few times and I was satisfied. I got apple ext warranty for my new mbpr. It is $239 for educational discount. One can argue, but it is a piece of mind.

11. brand macrumors 601

brand

So after the three years of AppleCare is over the Discover warranty starts?.

12. SaleenS351 macrumors 6502

I opted not to buy the additional warranty. I have a year to reconsider.

13. WRP macrumors 6502a

With laptops I wait until just before the year runs out. With desktops I don't bother. Never had any problems except with my laptops. g4Ti powerbook, first gen aluminum Powerbook, 2 macbook pros have all had to get some service.

None of my desktops ever have.

14. mstgkillr macrumors regular

I purchased my RMBP and AppleCare with my Discover Card... How did you get an additional year?

15. molingrad macrumors member

You have a year to buy AppleCare I feel like I spent enough money already...

As for best buy I would never get a extended from them. I worked there ( for the AMAZING discount ~ 5 % over cost!) and they force you to push their bull **** warranties on everyone for everything.

16. ms. d macrumors newbie

I didn't, since I figured I could upgrade after a year if I changed my mind later.

But what exactly does AppleCare cover? I live in Europe, and consumer rights are well covered legally here. So if there's anything wrong with the computer for the next five years, and they can't pin it on the consumer, then Apple is legally bound to fix it. And I assume Apple's extended care does not cover accidents like spilling the Mac, dropping it etc., I don't really see why I should spend money on it.

17. Kaemon macrumors member

Okay... so a retail operation made you try and sell something...? I'm sorry? What? No, actually I'm not. Sorry, I lied. A Sales person having to sell something at their job, amazing. I've done things where I've had to offer a security service at the end of the sale, I didn't like doing it, but it was my job and of course you're forced to do it, thats why they're paying you (More than its worth probably, anyone can do retail)

Their iphone protections are also pretty good, got my phone replaced twice, and its like $14 a month. Worth it to me.

18. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

I have a year to decide and i plan on taking 364 days of that year to decide, i got applecare for my MBA last year and considering i am already changing laptops it turns out that was quite the waste.

19. bioyuki macrumors member

Using my credit card for the extra year warranty for free, suck it Applecare. I usually get a new laptop every 2 years or so so it's perfect.

20. molingrad macrumors member

There are ethical concerns I didn't want to sell the family with no money an expensive warranty they don't need. Apparently you were asked to mace babies all the time and did it with a smile.:eek:

( I just wanted to say mace babies mmmmmmmhhhhh :apple:)

21. alwaysaangel macrumors regular

I got applecare on my 2007 MBP - came in handy since I was one of the first to have a logic board/NVIDIA graphics card issue. So when my computer suddenly failed a year and a half in they did the $1000 repair for free and I didn't have to worry about coming up with the money - granted in the end it was recalled and I would have gotten a refund but its nice piece of mind knowing that for the next 3 years if something unexpectedly fails I can walk into the nearest apple store and hand my computer over and get it fixed for free.

I also got 2 free batteries out of applecare on that computer. So for me it more than paid for itself.

Like all insurance its just a matter of whether you are willing to pay for the piece of mind and I am, I don't have enough time to worry about whether my computer might breath tomorrow or not and trying to pay to get it fixed.

22. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Yeah, it's a funny story...

So, I bought the new MacBook with my Discover card. This was the first purchase actually made with the card. And Discover decided that the three thousand dollar Apple Online Purchase was possible fraud.

I was one of the 3-5 day processing orders, but that was delayed with a "Awaiting Payment". So, I had to call Discover to approve the purchase. This moved me to the 7-10 day group of orders. :/ When I called and approved the purchase, the Discover rep informed me that an additional year is tacked on to the manufacturers or extended warranty of a computer purchase up to three years... I quizzed him, and he said that if the manufacturers warranty is to 36 months, Discover will add a year to that.

It's an inherent warranty by using the card. I have a standard Discover % Cashback card... Nothing special, so it's worth a call to find and see if you're covered.

There are lots of unknown benefits to most credit cards. Was happy to hear about this condition ;)

----------

You can usually get a bit more on resale if you say it's still covered under AppleCare...

23. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

And if not, call AppleCare and they will send you a check prorated for the amount of coverage you had left. It's really easy and the check arrive within a few weeks. I do it whenever I sell an Apple product; I've found that most people in the cheapo-used market don't give a crap about AppleCare and are not willing to pay extra for it.

24. leadfeather89, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

leadfeather89 macrumors member

I'm new to apple. :confused::confused::confused:

So if I use my Wellsfargo Credit Card, I get a 1 year warranty on top of the already provided year?

Correct? Or am i totally off the boat?

25. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Pretty sure you're off the boat. The people with the extra year seem to be getting them directly from the customer service of their Discover card. That means that it's not really AppleCare, but a separate warranty (with separate terms) than AppleCare. I imagine it's a much bigger PITA to deal with the DiscoverCard warranty hotline than the Apple Genius Bar.

I'm of the opinion that AppleCare is always worth it. 100% of the time.