Did I buy a stolen iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by yani2k8, Dec 22, 2010.

1. yani2k8 macrumors member

yani2k8

Hey guys

Just bought myself a 64GB 3G iPad from a listing on Gumtree. It's second handed and the guy claims he lost the box and the power lead, so all I got is the iPad itself and the USB cable.

So what do you think? Stolen or legit? Is there any way to find out for certain, eg. by using the serial number.

Thanks in advance.

Yani

2. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

I wouldn't worry about it. I throw that stuff out so if I ever sell the iPad it won't have a box or anything either.

3. leethefilmer macrumors member

leethefilmer

Thief!

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

There's no way to tell. Just tell yourself it wasn't stolen and worry about something else.

5. yani2k8 thread starter macrumors member

yani2k8

Great, thanks for your input guys. If it was stolen though, would I have any problems registering it with iTunes?

Thanks

6. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

My box is long gone and I'm always misplacing the power lead. So I wouldn't worry too much.

7. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

If the iPad was reported stolen, you would not be able to activate it in iTunes.

8. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

In the us at least, thats absolutely not true.

9. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Do you have proof of this?

10. ArchXyrho macrumors member

I'm sure the local of the Apple store have like a blacklist for the iPad if it was stolen from the Apple store. But in the end I don't think there is a way to find out.

11. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

If you bought it in good faith then you don't have anything to worry about. No way to tell if it was stolen unless it was reported to the police and you find that police department and ask them.

The previous owner has probably already reported it to their homeowner insurance and has a replacement in hand.

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

read through some of the Stolen Apple product threads ... the thing may even have AppleCare on it. Apple does not help track stolen products

13. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Apple could care less if your iPad is stolen. They just want you to buy apps!

14. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

15. poloponies macrumors 68030

The very fact that he's asking demonstrates otherwise.

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

17. old-wiz macrumors G3

bought it in good faith is not necessarily a defense against receiving stolen property. If the iPad is stolen and the police find you you will lose the iPad at the least and will probably need an attorney to argue your case in court.

18. yani2k8 thread starter macrumors member

yani2k8

I'm only asking because it came without the box and other accessories. I wasn't aware of this until I met up with the seller.

I registered it with iTunes without any issues.

Thanks for your responses everybody.

Merry Xmas! :)

19. PCClone macrumors 6502a

definitely stolen and you may be in big trouble. You may want to check if the local prison has WIFI.:D

20. edwardbdrecht macrumors newbie

edwardbdrecht

If mine would be stolen I would nag them by locking it , display creepy messages, track location and play creepy sounds :)

21. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

There is no way to be certain and I do not believe Apple keeps a list of "stolen" Apple products. If you purchased it from a local seller you could try and see if it was reported stolen with the police. Most likely, the seller simply lost/threw away the items. You shouldn't worry about it. Enjoy your iPad!

22. yani2k8 thread starter macrumors member

yani2k8

And how would you do that once the iPad gets formatted and restored? ;)

23. mstout macrumors member

I have read a few comments here that I believe are wrong. Apple DOES care if the iPad was stolen. When you take it to the Genius bar (if you ever need to) if it was reported stolen (not saying it was) they will have a record of it. I watched a sketchy guy try to reactivate a stolen iPhone right next to me. They asked him lots of questions, figured out it was stolen, and security came and led him out the back, along with a friendly Chicago Police officer. I hope yours is fine, but Apple keeps records of everything. And they actually love busting people for stealing because the customers who find out that the guy who stole their stuff was caught are Apple fans for life. If yours is stolen, you will probably not be able to activate iTunes. And contrary to some other comments, it's not whether you know it was stolen. It's all about whether you had reason to think it might be stolen. Then again, lots of people lose the box. Now as for the power lead, that IS sketchy. I'd check it out. The guy has no box, no receipt, no power lead. Hmmm. Gee. I wonder...does that really sound legit to you?

24. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I agree with everything that you said. The OP seems not to have asked the question: "If the original owner lost the power adapter, then how did he recharge the iPad?" And to the wingnuts in the Apple-doesn't-care camp, explain Find My iPad. If the legal owner activates this feature, then the OP will effectively run-up a flag showing the police his GPS coordinates when the iPad next accesses the Internet. Not too bright.

25. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

He could have hept the charger for his iPod which don't come with a charger, or to simply have another charger for something else. I went straight to monoprice and got a couple chargers and cables just to always have one around the home and office. Apple charges way to much for those things.