Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Messy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Hey chaps,

Today I had the choice between a 21.5" i3 iMac and a 24" 2.8ghz Core 2 Duo.

If you had to choose between the two what one would you get?

I decided on the i3, it cost me £650. The graphics card and newer chip seemed to make sense, but i'd appreciate your opinions. The Duo had a larger screen, although at the same resolution as the newer 21.5

Thanks

:)

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
CPU power was the right choice imo.

I made a similar call a few days ago. Had the option to buy a mid 2010 i3 27" for the same money as the new 21.5" with the Quad i5. While I love the larger screen... I use my iMac for video conversion and ripping DVD's for my iPad etc... Not to mention Thunderbolt option which will allow an easy route to add storage that is as fast/faster then the Sata connection inside. The screen real estate can be made up with a 2nd monitor if I have to.. no way to augment the CPU power and Tbolt port. Those two things, imo, makes the new tech a much better choice for the next few years.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
I think you made the right decision. Newer is usually better, especially with Apple.

Plus, I like the design of the current iMacs better than the older ones with the bigger chin...those seem uglier now that the new ones look more refined.

Sirolway

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
London
Completely agree - correct choice

As long as you don't find yourself squinting, I go for max resolution over max size everytime. So if you got the same res, having a smaller physical screen isn't a big deal IMO

I'm on a Core 2 Duo (2009 13" MBP) & every time anything is slow I wonder if it's cause I've got this rubbish old CPU & wish I had Sandy Bridge. Completely unfairly, I'm sure!

Messy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Thanks for the feedback guys, im at work at the moment with the iMac sitting next to me in the box, can't wait to get home with it!

You've all pretty much confirmed my decision, great :)

Messy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Corrr just got home and set it up, its looooovely!

Where have you been all my life iMac?

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.