Did i get a trojan from mac rumors site?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by mattg3, Sep 1, 2012.

1. mattg3 macrumors 6502

Last night i was listening to music on itunes and reading posts on this site when a drop down dialogue menu appeared.It also started reading it to me on my speakers interrupting music i was listening to.I paid little attention to content and wanted to get rid of it but the dialogue box only gave me OK option.i could not go to another site and the audio kept going on.i hit OK hoping it would stop but it would not.I tried to restart my computer but it would not let me.i panicked and hit the Imac button to shut off the machine.It went dark and then just came back on again with audio still going.
    i was in a frenzy and hit my power strip shutting everything down.After a few minutes i started up and it was gone.Went hunting on internet for advice.Disabeled Java in safari and Firefox.It was firefox i had been using when problem started.
    My Imac is almost three years old running snow leopard and all software updates are in place.I am really lost on this one.Never had a problem before.Came back to this site to post this using safari and no problem.
    Mu itunes account is all my old CDs i own copied to itunes so no concern there.Anyone ever have this happen to them?Besides getting rid of java is there anything i need to do to prevent this.Very scary since at time i lost complete control of my Imac.All seems okay this morning.

2. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

When you hit the button did you just press it or press and hold. pressing it just puts it into sleep mode.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

1. You didn't get a trojan. A "trojan" is software that pretends to be something that you want to use, but actually isn't. For example, if you go to a website that offers pirated copies of Microsoft Word, and you download it, but what you downloaded is actually some software that steals your credit card numbers, that would be a trojan. A trojan is something that _you_ have to download yourself.

2. Anything that would do damage to your computer without any action on your side would be a virus. There are no viruses for the Macintosh in the wild.

3. A website can do lots of things. Like showing text, showing images or movies, playing music or speech. That would be normal. Of course a website can play sound that annoys you; that would also be normal.

4. You should be able to quit any program, usually by pressing Command-Q. You should always be able to quit a browser that way. If that doesn't work, you can Force Quit any program: Press Command-Option-Escape, and a window will pop up showing all the running applications, and you click on one of the applications and press Force Quit. That will quit _any_ application. Best try it now so you know what to do should you have to.

4. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Macrumors only occasionally infects computers with viruses so it's probably not that. Clear the cache and stuff.

5. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

Mac rumors can infect your brain also if you take them too seriously.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

And I WAS on my first espresso.

Thanks rdowns..

:p