Did I get screwed here? (Double tax?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jake36wi41, Jul 13, 2008.

1. jake36wi41 macrumors member

Last time I checked, 8.25% tax on $199 isn't $32.92. I called in and was told "come to the store and we'll get it fixed for you". After waiting in line for over an hour today, I now get to go BACK to the stupid store for the $16 they owe me? Really?

How does something like this actually happen? Am I missing something here? Or did they just completely screw up like it seems. How many people DIDN'T notice?

Attached Files:

2. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

You defiantly got charged too much, but not quite double (a bit more actually.) 16.5% would be $32.835. Take your receipt to the store you got it from, if they don't fix it on the spot, call your state comptroller.

3. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

Dude why did you leave the store without checking your receipt? After standing in line for hours..I am not leaving the store till I check everything..

4. patrick92260 macrumors member

I got charged $38.67 in tax for my 16 gb at the apple store. They told me it was tax plus the $18 upgrade fee...

5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I saw this on another forum ...

$399.00 x 8.25% = $32.92

you weren't really double taxed, you were charged tax on the full amount. I'm not exactly sure how the law applies in this case and might vary state to state but my guess is apple treats this like you have a $200 coupon. So you were likely properly charged tax, hopefully they'll adjust it for you but I mean they might end up just getting this explanation and losing out on some gas.

Apple has only been in the business of selling subsidized cell phones for three days, they probably never checked, or their accountants / lawyers and worked with the logic I provided.

6. jake36wi41 thread starter macrumors member

you're right, it's completely my fault for not double checking, but seriously, it says right on the receipt "Tax @ 8.25% $32.92" How does that happen? You've gotta wonder if it happened to someone else and if they didn't take the time to notice it. I'm hoping it get SOMETHING out of my trouble going ALL the way back to the store just for my freaking $16.50

blah, I know I should've checked before i left the store, but still, it's an annoyance.

7. jake36wi41 thread starter macrumors member

ah, that explanation makes sense. I wish it'd be laid out a little clearer on the receipt though.

8. theotherrogue macrumors regular

I got a $299 iPhone 3G in Pennsylvania. My Tax of 7.0% came out to $20.93, exactly what it should be.

9. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

That sounds like a possible explanation.

I know that at my local stores, if I get something free (as in a coupon for 100% off), then I still have to pay tax on the value of the item.

I always wondered about it when I would get a free movie rental whenever I rented a certain number of movies. They'd say on your next visit, you'll get a free movie. So, I'd go in the next time, and get my free movie. But, they'd still charge me 2 cents for tax.

10. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

mine was 40 bucks for tax. that is the 8.25 plus 18 for upgrade fee.

11. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

My tax was charged on the subsidized price. I would still inquire about it at the store.

To those claiming the upgrade fee is in the tax, it is not. It is added to your 1st bill. Again contact the store.

12. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You're required to pay the tax on the non-subsidized price, just like any other subsided phone. It's not a discounted price. AT&T is paying part of the price, providing you fulfill your contract agreement.

13. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

Sounds like your fault.. Should have rang a bell when she told you your total amount due!

14. UWSpindoctor macrumors regular

It differs by state. In CA the tax is on the unsubsidized price.

15. jake36wi41 thread starter macrumors member

Oh i'm not denying it's my fault, and the explanation makes perfect sense, that's why I figured I'd ask here before I made the trip back to the store Granted calling them didn't help, first they tried to say it was the activation fee (which it's obviously not) then told me I should just come to the store.

Just glad everyone here helped to figure it out before I made the trip back. Thanks!!

16. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

I was told at the Apple Store I bought at (in MA) on Friday that tax was on the unsubsidized price, and I was charged accordingly.

We got a second iPhone at an AT&T store (also in MA) on Saturday and they only charged us tax on the amount actually paid!

So, either Apple was wrong and I got overcharged, or AT&T was wrong and we got undercharged.

17. UCLAkers macrumors member

haha.. that's pretty weird tho. so which is it? has this been the case for you CA buyers out there.. difference in tax charged depending on purchasing it at the apple store and AT&T store?

but whatever, I just want my iphone! hopefully there aren't anymore crazy lines at my apple stores or my local AT&T stores actually restock. it's been insane here in socal.

18. GutBomb macrumors regular

I am in MA as well, and bought at the apple store. I was taxed for the amount of the unsubsidized phone but paid the subsidized price.