Did I go overboard?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wingnut330, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

Hey all,

I'm looking for some advice. I recently jumped into the Mac world and I'm loving it. I'm just wondering ig I could streamline my setup. Here goes...

My first Mac was a Mini - got it, love it but decided I wanted to go a different direction so I'm selling it to get something else.

So, then the AIR comes out. Got it, love it.

To replace my Mini, I decided to go with the iMac as my 'base' machine for the heavy duty processing of editing pictures, slideshows etc as the Mini wil be gone and the AIR isn't as powerful as I'd like for editing.

Then the new MBP comes out and now I'm wondering if I should return the AIR and the iMac for a MBP! It seems like it would combine the best of both worlds for me: powerful, portable and then connect it to a 23 ACD for those long sessions of work/editing.

What do you guys think?

2. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

4. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I agree...I'm loving my MBP, and I can only dream about the new ones... :)

5. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will I get credits back from Apple for AppleCare on these machines?

6. jeffmc macrumors 6502

definitely not.
    applecare is non-transferable. you could sell the machines yourself and advertise it as under apple care and charge a few more bucks.

how old are they?

you are aware apple only has a 14 day return policy and a 10% restocking fee on un-opened computers/ipods/iphones right?

7. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Well do you need the extra power? it seems to me you like teh new products more then you have the need for them. If you do need a MBP insted of a macmini thats alright but if you just want to get it because its new then apple is not for you, you will be replacing your computer every 6 months or so if that 2was the case.

Just get what you need.

9. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

The Air should really be powerful enough for photo editing. Are you running a UB version of Photoshop? Older versions run under rosetta (emulation of the non-intel codebase).

The MBP 15 is nice, but it's a big heavy lump to carry around a lot.

I own a PB15 and a macbook, and the macbook is the only one that I actually can be bothered to carry around. The Air is so much nicer to carry around that if you do a lot of carrying around, it will be really worth it.

The iMac will take care of your really heavy duty needs, and has more storage than the MPB.

If you dump all that, and buy a MBP + ACD, you're spending a hell of a lot of money to get not much extra functionality.

10. munckee macrumors 65816

If I had a choice, I'd stick with the iMac and the Air. Seems like the perfect combo to me. Ultraportable for when you need to travel and solid power when you're at home.

11. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Wrong, it is transferable. Apple AppleCare FAQs

Also people have gotten refunds for their remaining extended AppleCare.

Attached Files:

12. methodmano macrumors member

I would do this as well. It's not like you won't be able to do any editing with the Air.

13. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys - I'll simmer down and keep what I have. Sometimes I think I over analyze things! :)

14. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Hey Wingnut, you sound alarmingly like me :eek: .....ie bought an iMac, then wondered should I have gone all out and bought the Mac Pro.....bought a MacBook, then wondered if I should have bought the MacBook Pro.....bought a 40GB Apple TV, then wondered should I have gone for the bigger capacity model.....bought a 16GB iPod Touch, then regretted not waiting for the 32GB.....bought a wired keyboard, then reckoned I should have got the wireless....bought Logitech speakers, then regretted not going for the Harmon Soundsticks.....love my iPod Touch but the Nano is so beautiful I'd like one of them too, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

In other words: I always want more.

I'm now trying to settle down, trying to realise how incredibly lucky I am to have all this stuff, trying not to be so greedy, and trying to enjoy and appreciate what I have.

But it's hard....there's always something bigger and better. :)

15. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

sounds like a good plan to me I would suggest getting the middle MBP so you have more VRAM memory along with a slightly faster processor.

ChrisN

16. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I was content for a couple of days, but now I'm thinking about it again. It's becoming more of a convenience argument now. I'm not sure how to sync email from one machine to another and it sounds like it might be a hassle.

It might just be easier to have the MBP for carry around use and a nice ACD for long editing sessions. The MBP isn't significantly bigger than the MBA. 2 pounds and a quarter of an inch isn't too much to sweat.

Argh...another sleepless night...

17. jeffmc macrumors 6502

yeah it's transferable meaning it stays with the computer if it is sold.

i meant you can't sell your one year old macbook and transfer that apple care to a different computer.

18. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Applecare is returnable within 30 days of purchase - I know because I did it.

After 30 days you can still return for less than you paid for it - this final return price is pro-rated for how many days you had it past 30 days - I know this because the applecare rep told me.

You'll be fine. Call applecare to get a refund on your money and then when that comes through (normally 2 weeks) you can go out and buy applecare on new machine. I do think you can ask to switch applecare to a different machine, but if the models are different ie macbook vs. air and the applecare is a different price for one or the other they would have to find a way to charge or refund you the difference. Just call them.

19. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I'd do this. Portability + Power = :)

It's so true though, if you always want the latest and greatest, :apple: is going to frustrate you. Since I bought my macbook there have been 3 if not 4 revisions. In less than 2 years!

20. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not the type to want the latest and greatest, just trying to determine my best setup. I LOVE the iMac and and Air, but I think I would like the portability of the MBP. It would be nice to have my pictures and music with me.

If I could find a way to sync my iMac and Air, I would be ok with that. It would just be nice to work on things on the couch vs in my den.

21. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Yes actually, you can. It can be transferred at any time to a new computer within the agreement period. I have transferred the same Applecare plan 3 times to new computers since I first purchased it.

22. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Personally, I'd go with the iMac + MacBook Air if I could. The iMac is great power, which is what the MacBook Air trades for great portability. As long as you don't need the power on-the-go, I'm sure you'll appreciate how easy it is to carry around the Air.

If you need the power of your iMac on-the-go, then the MBP is a better single solution. But otherwise, the Air is a great machine to carry around, and you have the iMac for power when you need it.

I don't know how much you'd like paying $99 a year, but a .mac account allows you to sync your Air and iMac. Look into the Back to My Mac feature to control your iMac anywhere from your Air. In your case, I'd say it's a great value for the convenience, but it sounds like .mac is what you're looking for.

23. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It looks like I can only sync things like iCal. It would be nice to Sync iTunes, iWeb etc but I don't see how to do that with .Mac. I have a .Mac account and admittedly I'm new to the Mac world, but I'm not sure how to make that happen.

BTMM might work, but I haven't read much about that yet.

24. GirthP macrumors regular

I think i'd like to be downhill when you get rid of your "mistakes" !! :D :D

25. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I do this ALLLLL the time with anything of substantial value that I buy. Always 2nd guessing myself after the fact, finding something better, contemplate returning to get the other thing. Its a mania.