Did i just download a virus?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tom_from_myspace, Mar 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tom_from_myspace macrumors newbie

Hello everyone

So I was on a webpage (blogspot) and it redirected me to another website similar to the apple page. it soon said "Flash drive outdated" and it automatically downloaded something. (I use google chrome). so i panicked and quickly exited out, and i deleted the file in the download section on chrome. I didn't click on it so i have no idea what it was. But i notice when i looked at my downloads on my "My computer", the file was there and it said some weird name. so i quickly deleted it and permanently deleted it from trash. at this moment i am now running sopho on my mac. what do you guys think? am i panicking too much? Should i be more concerned? that fact that i downloaded something that i am not aware of is scary.

I still use macbook pro from 2011 and i have version 10.11.6

2. killawat macrumors 65816

Nah man you're good, especially if you didn't execute the download.

3. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Sounds fine, though you can run a scan through MWB for Mac if you're concerned: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac-download/

This'll only take a minute to scan. There are very few points of infection on a Mac.

5. Ries macrumors 68000

It is highly likely malware, but since you didn't open it (or safari automatically opened it, there has been expolits were just opening it would infect you), it didn't get installed. So I think you're safe.

6. Tom_from_myspace thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay so when i looked in my finder>download. the file was there but i deleted it and i permanently deleted from my trash. does that mean the file was already installed to my computer? or do i have to click it in order for it to be installed? sorry if i'm reaching, I have high anxiety. especially if it comes to computers lol. I hate how google chrome just downloads instantly without asking lol.

7. elf69 macrumors 68000

elf69

You should be fine.

there are several spoof flash players out there.

flash player pro being very common.

8. Winterfibre macrumors regular

Should be fine, you never clicked on it, to open it, so you have noting to worry about.

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Just downloading it wouldn't do any harm at all - if you'd run it then it would be a different matter!