Did I just get a 128GB iPhone 6 for $46.70?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by badger91, Oct 10, 2014.

1. badger91 macrumors regular

Hey everyone! I got the 6 plus on AT&T Next on release day. On October 1st I exchanged it for a 128GB iPhone 6. Upon exchanging it we ran into some issues where Apple had to call AT&T to reset my eligibility. By the time I left I had 2 copies of the Next agreement and paid $46.70. About 4 days after I received a text saying that my line will now be paying $40 per month because I signed a contract. I called AT&T and sure thing I'm on a 2 year agreement. I tried to get them to change me to next but they couldn't change it. Now I got to thinking and I basically got a $850 phone for $46.70 due to the complications at the store. Does this sound right? I might go back to the apple store because I feel like it would be unethical for me to keep the phone without paying the normal price for it

2. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

It's $399+tax value since you signed a 2 year agreement. FBI will knock on your door though. Good luck. :p.

3. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

You are right, it doesn't sound right.
    Besides being the ethical thing, you don't want to be in a situation where 10 months from now, they go back to you and make some bigger claims (e.g. pay full price for the phone), or you actually have 2 lines, or fraud, or, or, or...

Best to go back to the store and clear it up.

Good luck!

4. badger91 thread starter macrumors regular

The funny thing is I wasn't even eligible for an upgrade. My "discounted" price with contract would have been $650. I think I want to go back to the plus anyways. I just need to find one haha

5. 617aircav Suspended

Did I just get a 128GB iPhone 6 for $46.70?

They gave you a good deal. Be happy. If it's a mistake they will catch it in a couple of days.

6. badger91 thread starter macrumors regular

It's been 8 days now. I'm going to call AT&T before I drive 150 miles back to the Apple Store.

7. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Only thing is you are now paying $40 a month for the access fee instead of $25/$15 (depends on your data plan).

So you will still be paying an extra $15-$25 a month for this iPhone.

8. badger91 thread starter macrumors regular

That would be $600 over 2 years I'd pay on my plan in addition to what I normally pay. I guess I didn't get that good of a deal I guess. I'm going to call AT&T this afternoon

9. coolweirdo macrumors regular

coolweirdo

FBI will not knock at this persons door would you like a ham sandwich with that haterade your drinking :D:D

10. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

There was also a guy on the forum who did 3 Next programs and only 2 showed on his bill. He had called to verify it with AT&T to check the error, but on their systems it indeed showed only 2 lines that were on Next not 3. I think with all this uptick in upgrading to the new iPhones & Note 4. Errors are bound to happen..

11. badger91 thread starter macrumors regular

Did he return it to make things right? I feel like ethically I should get it fixed but i don't think the typical consumer would have figured this out.

12. unnamedny macrumors newbie

Why do you even bother? It's their mistake, if they ever catch up they will charge you with what you owe. Just go on with you life. Posting it here will make you even more obligated to fix it. Here is my view, You suck if you go fix it. "please take my money, because you forgot to charge me 800 bucks" you are pathetic.

13. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

He didn't mention of returning it. But the odd thing about it, it didn't show he was eligible for an upgrade on the line in question. As if he signed on to a 2 year contract instead of the Next. But, yeah.. I think you should go to AT&T and show them your Next contract & receipt. You don't want it come back and bite you to have them backdate your Next payments.

14. badger91 thread starter macrumors regular

Yep that's exactly what happened to mine! I'm on hold with them right now.

15. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

FBI? What the... lol. I would be pissed if they used their resources on something like this.

16. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

It's the moral thing to do. Its simply the "right" thing to do, the shady thing to do is go on as if nothing happen.

17. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Rather than call the person pathetic, why don't you take a step back and analyze the situation as this poster did:

So maybe he "sucks" if he fixes it and he has to live the rest of his life knowing that you think he's pathetic, but at least his wallet will come out ahead.

18. marine0816, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014

marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

Cell phone companies are robbing the world daily with overpriced phones and charging for BS data overage charges. I jump for joy when we can get a little of our money back.. People here will cry ethical blah blah, but what is ethical about a bogus "upgrade fee" that all corrupt cell phone companies are charging?

19. DigitalPharmcst macrumors member

DigitalPharmcst

All this morality is killing me, they can't backdate you for something that THEY messed up on. It's as simple as saying "you effed up, you didn't charge me like you should have." People always feel like it's a moral obligation to report something when someone does something wrong in their favor; do people report that they found your iPhone that you accidentally dropped on the street while you were walking ? Of course they don't, they steal it and you never find it.

20. coolweirdo macrumors regular

coolweirdo

if you contact them and they don't have any records of the mistake consider yourself lucky and go about your life I've never heard of any of these things I'm reading in this thread such as back dated payments, 10 months later having to pay for the phone full price this is ridiculous lol its just like walking down the street and you find $20 on the ground, it was ur lucky day enjoy.

"stay thirsty my friends" :cool:

21. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

But in his situation.. All 3 lines showed the $15 for the access free. It was definitely odd, hopefully AT&T resolves it for you. And if they can't fix the issue at least reference everything as far who you talk to and somehow put on record so it won't come back on you.

22. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Huh? I was just helping him with the math.

23. Godmode macrumors newbie

I am laughing so much at these comments. Everybody on here is quick to jump down somebodies throat if they got lucky. It IS NOT fraud. It isnt illegal. It is their error and you will NOT have to pay for it. The world is full of ****, appreciate a come up. The big companies will not go bankrupt because of you and it wouldnt be a bad thing if they did. Corporate wankers the majority of you

24. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Exactly. I was talking to the other poster I quoted, and I was using your post as an example of a reasoned and intelligent response.

25. badger91 thread starter macrumors regular

It comes down to be about a $265 net benefit if things don't get fixed. I'm considering going back to the 6 plus, so that will make things go back to normal if I find one. The only downfall is that I'm now under contract instead of NEXT. Thanks for the opinions.