Did I upgrade HD correct??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spmiz12, Dec 12, 2010.

1. spmiz12 macrumors regular

Nov 17, 2009
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Have a 13 MBP, standard 250gb drive; ran carbon copy to external drive; installed new 500gb drive, booted off of external HD, formatted new drive , am running cc to now clone to the new HD.....

Did I do this right??
  2. Intell macrumors P6

Jan 24, 2010
  3. spmiz12 thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 17, 2009
    Everything seems to be running great...... I upgraded to 8GB Ram and 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT drive; and it is very fast.....
  4. Aries326 macrumors 6502

Dec 28, 2007
    Any problems with noise, heat or decreased battery life? I'm thinking of buying the same drive for my MBP 2009. Thanks!
  5. gr8tfly, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010

gr8tfly macrumors 603

Oct 29, 2006
    ~119W 34N
    There're several other threads discussing the XT drive - just search on Momentus XT and they should show up.

I've had mine installed for about a week and it's fast and quiet (see: Love my new Seagate Momentus XT !!! for other posts gushing over the new drive). I upgraded the firmware to SD24 yesterday, and it's even quieter. From the reports I've read, and my own experience (so far), I'd recommend upgrading. I used Seagate's bootable ISO CD image, which was very easy and straight forward to use. Others have used the executable running Windows from BootCamp. I'd recommend the ISO - it seems that if anyone has problems upgrading, they're always pointed to that as a solution.

I'm running a battery test right now. If anything, it's looking like the XT could use less average power than my WD Scorpio Black.

edit: I just finished running the battery to automatic sleep. It ran about 6.5 hrs, doing light work - surfing, watching forum-spy, some reading and some idle time (display still on). Bluetooth was on (with two devices active); display about 50%; hard-drives set to sleep when possible. This is pretty similar to other tests I've run, so off-hand, I'd say the XT uses about the same power as the WD Scorpio Black (the spec sheets predict this). If I were to get into a mode where I was reading from the SSD, there might be some savings.

I have to add as a side note that this drive still seems to run cooler than the WD (as I've mentioned in other threads).
  6. Aries326 macrumors 6502

Dec 28, 2007
    Thanks for the reply! I'm going to get mine right now!