Did iOS 5 sell you on iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cod3rror, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Frankly it did not for me.

I know completely different things, but I was expecting something fresh to warrant a purchase of iPhone 5. When the software is new, I want to use it with a new hardware.

With iOS 5, I feel like "been there, done that", frankly, even if Apple hadn't offered an update to iPhone 4, I'd feel there is nothing major I'm missing by not going to iPhone 5.

2. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Yeah I hear you, the only thing that I dont like about iOS 4 is the notifications. iOS 5 improves that and when it releases we will be eligible to have it so Im not going out my contract and way to obtain an iPhone 5/4GS.

3. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Jailbreaking ruins most major iOS updates. Apple provides features that jailbreaking provided but doesn't go beyond that. Of course you can't please everyone and most iPhone owners don't jailbreak so those people will probably be really happy with iOS 5. I have it on my 3GS and it's kind of meh to me.

4. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

Well I'm up for an upgrade so it really didn't take much to sell me on a new iPhone. If it has a dedicated notification light I will buy it the day its released. I went from my 3gs to a blackberry and have always wanted features of both. It seems like its getting closer.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No it didn't. However, I do not plan on upgrading this fall. Got my iPhone 4 on day 1 and plan on keeping it until next summer.

6. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I am totally getting the iPhone 5. Its good timing, my contract ends around the time that it should come out - and I really really like IOS 5.

7. jdwilsh macrumors newbie

jdwilsh

The way I see it is the next gen iPhone, whatever it will be called with be intended for iPhone 3GS users and the handset released after that (2012 iPhone) will be intended for iPhone 4 users.

It fits in perfectly with contract lengths etc for the 2yr contracts. Plus anyone who had a 3G iPhone wouldnt have exactly rushed out to get the 3GS but would for the 4. Anyone with a 3GS iPhone wouldnt have rushed to get the iPhone 4 but may do so for the next model. etc etc.

8. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

For many it's going to depend on the hardware. If iPhone 5 has basically the same hardware few will upgrade. But, if it's a new design you can expect those long lines at Apple Stores again.

9. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Most of u have iphone 4...
    So, you are not eligible to buy iphone 5 at discounted price anyway.
    iOS 5.0 is just a software update. There will be something on iphone 5 that will make iphone 4 outdated a bit.

Yesterday was about iOS 5.0 and I got pretty much what I wanted. I am not happy with lack of turn by turn direction with MAP support on iOS. It's not a deal breaker, but I need something that can match Android's Google map.

Other than that, I am very happy with iOS. iOS is very well supported and well written OS.

10. andymodem macrumors 6502a

Yes, but no. To explain, a couple weeks back I was bored of iOS, so gave an Android phone a try. Specifically the Atrix 4G. I kept it for two days and returned it and went back to my iPhone 4. Technically, Android sold me on the iPhone 5, but iOS 5 made the sale even more final.

11. bryanjc macrumors regular

These are not ground breaking improvements. None of them really.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not me either but then I was not expecting the new OS to push me into getting the iPhone 5. I expect the hardware to do that and to be honest I'm quite content with my IP4.

My expectations for iOS5 have been met since I was not expecting apple to blow the doors off. They have always done some incremental updates, heck the notification system has been the most requested feature and its nice that apple implemented that. iOS5 brings iOS up to parity with its competitors that's all, they failed to leap frog them but as I stated, I wasn't expecting apple to that.

13. Harpoon Spoon macrumors regular

Meh, I'm more satisfied having the notification center and the to do list. If I upgrade it will be because of the hardware. I'm content with my ip4 until something convincing makes me upgrade.

14. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

To be honest, the birth of Steve Jobs ultimately is what sold me on iPhone 5 (and 6 and 7 and 8). The only thing that will keep me from upgrading on launch day is I'm a hopeless JB addict now too :p

15. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Thats a very very good theory you got there. Its exactly what Im gonna do.

16. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I've already sold my iPhone 4 and set the money aside for the 5. I'm using a samsung focus (WP7) phone now and love it. iOS 5 looks amazing, and I can't wait to see the iPhone 5. Worst case scenario, I don't use the iPhone 5 often and stick to my focus. Mango is coming and that looks awesome too...I've got a great year of phones ahead for me

17. Centient macrumors 6502

Some nice stuff, but I have a feeling that the really, really good stuff won't be seen until next year when we get a whole new phone.

Had they gone with built in Nav, and integrated that AI/Voice recognition software they are working on, then I would say I was sold.

Having said that, I have an i4 and am content with it. The improvements through iOS5 are definitely welcome.

18. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Yes, Windows Phone 7 does look good - I'm sure you'll like the new iPhone 5 when it comes out though.

19. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

no. what it did sell me on, is the fact that thanks to it being available for 3gs and 4, a lot of people might end up skipping iphone 5 and staying with the new ios 5 instead. to quote steve's cheesy saying "if hardware is the brain, then the software is the soul" (or something like that). unless iphone 5 brings a whole set of new features with its own version of ios5, then i don't see much of a reason to upgrade except to brag to your fellow apple fanboys about having a new version of the phone.

20. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

A great man once said:

"Just when you think you're out, they pull you back IN."

21. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

22. vladtheimpaler macrumors regular

vladtheimpaler

You must be locked in an iphone 4 contract. Good luck with that logic.

23. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Well, Im sure the next gen iPhone will bring some AMAZING hardware features, because if it doesn't then whats the point of upgrading?

24. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Michael Corleone wasn't a great man. :p

25. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Absolutely, I will buy an iPhone 5 even though my contract is up. I want the dual core processing power when using iOS 5