Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What readings do you get in the level app on iPhone 5S with iOS 7.0.3?

• 0 on all sides and back (perfect).

Votes: 92 59.4%
  • 0 on back, 1 on one or more sides.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • 1 on back, 0 on all sides.

Votes: 34 21.9%
  • 1 on back, 1 on one or more sides.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • More than 1 on one or more sides and/or back.

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ughbrandon

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2013
Did iOS 7.0.3 fix your accelerometer/gyro?

Wouldn't bother getting it replaced for 1 degree. For other things, sure.

Im getting mine replaced because touch ID is defective on mine. Im just saying i will tell you the stats of the new phone

mustu

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
okay I have check my phone as well as 2 other 5s and one 5 the all are -1 on the back on 3 different surfaces.

my goes from -1 to 0 if i rotate the phone.

hobspain

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
i think they just masked the problem. as when i run iHandy and Clinometer it is showing the same results as before.

I think they did fix the compass/accelerometer/gyro system wide with iOS 7.0.3, not just patching the builtin Compass app.

I did the same test with my iPhone 5S and did screen captures both before and after. On my office desk -which I wouldn't say it is perfectly leveled anyways (architectural issues)-, with iOS 7.0.0 I got -93 degrees (sitting on the long side opposite to volume buttons) with the builtin Compass app, and 85.2 degrees with Clinotener (no custom calibration or anything). After upgrading to 7.0.3, I did the test on the same spot and got -1 degrees with Compass and 89.3 degrees with clinometer.

Great update so far, specially for the web search on the spotlight.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
The sides are more critical then the back. Bottom side is used for panos and long side for games. Mine are both 0 and there is no drifting in any games what so ever. On the back I get -1 but using more detailed level app it's more like 0.5. The compass app rounds to the bigger number. 0.5 on the back side will not have an impact on anything. My ipad 4 is even less accurate.

----------

I just read in the other thread someone did the dnd method and it worked. Maybe it was disabled pre 7.0.3. My sides are perfect and I don't know if I have a perfectly flat surface so I'll prob leave it alone.[COLOR=

Bossyman

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
I was at -4 and now at 0.

Fixed for mine.

Also fixed for my son's who was at -5 and now at 0.

So the update fixed both of our iPhone 5S phones.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
It means your calibration is probably about .5 to .4 on its back and it probably doesn't pick up the .1 degree change when you rotate it. When mine says -1 I can even lift it at one of the sides a bit and set it down and its stays at 0. The app rounds to the nearest 1 degree.

There is an app called gyro level that will give you the exact degree it off.

Worked for me too. Can someone explain how that is?

haxtothejax

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
Had to have my 5s replaced last night because it turned into a brick and crapped out.

My replacement has 7.0.3 and is -3 on the back. 0 on the bottom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.