Did logic board replacement work for your mid-2010 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by namethisfile, Apr 22, 2014.

1. namethisfile macrumors 65816

namethisfile

hi,

i was just curious if there are people out there who's had their logic boards from a mid-2010 MBP w/ the nvidia GT330m dGPU replaced by Apple and is now trouble-free....

if so,

1) how long have you been using the computer without any trouble regarding the GPU?
    2) what OS are you using?
    3) if applicable, is FCPX and Motion 5 fully operational after service?
    4) also if applicable, can you play intense, very graphic-extensive games like COD or something similar?
    5) did it work?

i'm curious b/c i have one of this model MBP with the affected nvidia GT330m dGPU and considering what route i should take.

thanks in advance!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

The logicboard is Apple's term for mainboard or motherboard, if you open up your computer, the logicboard is pretty much 90% of what you'll see. The only detachable parts from it off the top of my head are the hard drive, dvd drive, speakers, fans and battery.

So of course it'll work, you basically get a brand new computer under the hood.

What you should truly ask is: how long does it last? If the logic board put in is one where the defect has not been corrected, (I don't know if there was a second gen 330M like there was a 8600M) then the problem will eventually be back.

3. namethisfile thread starter macrumors 65816

namethisfile

hey,

i don't understand. my question wasn't even about what a logic board is.

and what would be brand new about apple replacing the logic board. how would one know if the logic board they put in is brand new?

anyway, i didn't ask how long it would last because how would they know that? my question is basically, is it working? are the gpu-related crashes gone?

i got my mid-2010 15" mbp in december of 2010. from my research, this model macbook pro (mbp 6,2) was introduced in april 2010 and then discontinued in feb 2011. so, i got mine towards the latter half of the production cycle. not sure if that makes a difference since there is an article out there that the affected models basically span the entire production cycle of this model mbp.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

It is illegal to sell a used part unless it is known to both the seller and the buyer it is used, so of course it is brand new.

It'll work just like your computer did when it was new. I'm not sure what you don't understand about this.

Your car dealer can put in a brand new, never-run engine in an old car. The problems your old engine had would be gone. Apple can put and brand new, never-run logicboard in your computer. The problems your old logicboard had would also be gone.

In both cases, if the problem is a known design or manufacturing defect that has not been fixed, then it will come back.

So like I said: it will work, but for how long? Nobody can know. If they fixed the issue in a later revision of the logicboard, you wouldn't have problems down the road. If they put in the very same model and revision of the logicboard you currently have, expect to have the same problems later down the road.

5. namethisfile, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014

namethisfile thread starter macrumors 65816

namethisfile

you explain what a logic board is when my question wasn't even about that.

where did you get "it is illegal to sell a used part" from?

if i were to have my logic board replaced, it would be through apple. or a certified apple repair shop. where and how they get logic boards for this model is not my concern. my concern is whether or not the logic board they use to replace mine is working and free of gpu-related crashes.

your dealer will put a new engine in old car?

what?

misinforming much there bud?

i don't think that when i send my mbp in for a logic board replacement that there is any guarantee that they will use a brand new logic board. i don't even expect that since this model mbp has been discontinued since feb of 2011. my expectation is that they will be using a refurbished logic board. whether or not this will fix the gpu-related crashes is one thing and is why i created this thread to ask if people who have this mbp and had their logic board replaced are now free of the gpu-related crashes.

so, scenario is this, John Doe has same computer as me and has their logic board replaced. my assumption is that John Doe should be able to fire up Motion 5 right there on the spot and see if his newly repaired computer will crash or not. at least, for me, Motion 5 in mavericks and mountain lion will trigger a KP without fail. so, if John Doe can run Motion 5 and stuff without his newly repaired computer crashing with the same gpu-related symptom as before then i would consider the new logic board somehow fixing it. so, i don't think, John Doe even has to wait down the road for the issues that this particular model is affected with to show up. at least this is my theory.

6. rapicell macrumors regular

To put it simply, there is not a 100% chance that the replacement logic board will not end up with the same failure as the pervious one. Usually older macs will get refurbished ones and typically (as seen with the 2011 macbook pro 15-17'') the problem may return.

7. namethisfile thread starter macrumors 65816

namethisfile

yeh. i've read horror stories about the 2011's as well. but, according to what i've read, the symptoms are different from the 2010 and 2011 ones. the 2011 seems to be about solders getting loose or something, so it needs time for the problem to resurface. the 2010 mbp's, at least mine, is more about gpu-related kernel panics. so, as i mentioned above, a newly replaced logic board for a mid-2010 mbp should be diagnose-able on the spot and not have to wait for symptoms to occur down the road. right?

8. rapicell macrumors regular

If nothing shows up when they test it after replacement, they're not going to do anything further. I'm not hardware savvy, so I have no clue if a kernel panic would show up instantly or not.

9. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Ex-Genius and ex-tech for AASP who is still ACMT certified here...

Sorry to say but you're incorrect. Apple uses a mix of new and reconditioned parts, making no attempt to differentiate between the two. Basically, if you require a part for a Mac that is only a couple months old then the service part you receive will likely be brand new. If you require a service part for a Mac that is a year or two old then it's almost guaranteed that it will be reconditioned. Technicians (both in and outside of Apple) have no way to order a guaranteed "new" part unless they just happen to order it in a short time frame following the release of a new Mac.

Is the failure rate any different between the two? In my experience (well over 1,000 repairs over 6~ years) not really. Only Apple could say for sure, since they are the ones who oversee the parts, but I've never noticed a trend in replacement part reliability. The only exception to this that comes to mind was the MacBook Pro NVIDIA REP, where the revision one boards were used until a revision two board was released to fix the issue.

Is it illegal? No, Apple's warranty (AppleCare) and service agreements (what you sign when you drop something off for repair) explicitly state that they can at their discretion use new or refurbished parts, that have been tested to ensure they function reliably, for repairs. One such excerpt from AppleCare is here.

Reasoning behind this? Apple would need to manufacture substantially more replacement components than Macs it ships if they didn't re-use parts that had been fixed and tested out as ok. Not to mention the environmental impact that would be had if such recycling wasn't in place. Almost every major manufacturer, including automotive brands, follows this practice. Not all have quite the same level of quality control but they still reserve the right to re-use components as necessary provided they have been confirmed as good.

In addition to that - while the logic board seems like the end all fix to issues like this the fact is that software can be just as likely a culprit. This particular issue was a cat and mouse game between software fixes and hardware level fixes for several years. To the best of my knowledge (haven't been a technician for a couple years now) there's still a lot of disagreement in the Apple repair community as to what actually fixes it.

My point, don't be so quick to jump on people asking questions.

To the OP...

The majority of repairs I've seen with this have been resolved with the logic board replacement. I had several customers who worked heavily with video (one was multiple mid-2010 15" MacBook Pros for a news channel) who I never heard from again following logic board replacements. Thats about as close to personal experience that I can offer.

I'm sure you're aware of the REP covering the intermittent black screen issue, if your Mac is affected I would highly encourage you to contact Apple.

edit- Didn't realize you were running into kernel panics. If you do have it repaired make sure you leave explicit instructions for the technician to test it using Motion (leave detailed instructions on how to) in your OS. They might further test it by booting to your OS from another Mac to see if the issue persists. Hopefully that helps.

10. geralddarden macrumors member

geralddarden

1: I purchased my MBP 6,2 in June 2011, had my logic board replaced in July 2013.
    2: 10.9.3
    3: N/A
    4: The most graphically intensive game I play is Kerbal Space Program. So, not really.
    5: Yes, it did resolve the random kernel panics.

11. namethisfile thread starter macrumors 65816

namethisfile

i'm not hardware-savvy, as well. just using common sense. if my mbp would kernel panic without fail while creating a motion 5 project, then my newly repaired mbp should not, right? and this can be done on the spot by quickly creating a motion 5 project, working on it until one is satisfied that the problem has been fixed.

12. namethisfile, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014

namethisfile

whoah! 10.9.3!!! that's not even out yet!

so, did you purchase your 6, 2 mbp brand new? june 2011 was beyond the date that apple made them. i believe the 2011's were out by then with quad cores. i remember this b/c i got mine and shortly after that the new quad cores came out. lol. but, those 2011's also has dGPU issues.

yeh. mine has random KP's and replicable KP's when working in Motion 5, FCP X, etc....

i can't afford to have my logic board replaced so trying to find alternatives.

i've rolled back to snow leopard and no crashes, yet!!!

mountain lion was the same KP ridden experience as mavericks.

the only problem is that snow leopard is not a solution since most of my apps aren't compatible with it like Motion 5, FCP x and even pixelmator.

something in the OS when they made the jump from snow leopard to the newer OS's like Lion, ML, and Mavericks is inherently making these model mbp's graphically unstable.... not a tech tho. just from observation.

at least, i am hoping that this is a case of driver issue more than hardware b/c i cannot afford to have my logic board replaced. I K i keep saying that. lol.

what the heck is Kerbal space program?

ps--thanks for taking the time to answer.

13. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I suffer from the same bug as you on my mid-2010 15" MBP. Unfortunately, I missed the 3-year logic board replacement window (I found out about it a week after the offer expired). I think that you should go for it.

Only a small number of logic boards were affected by the issue so you'll probably get a board without the bug. After replacement, everything should be working as it should be without any kernel panics.

I personally just stick to the iGPU using gfxCardStatus.

Best of luck. Do let us know how it goes.

Raptor

14. namethisfile thread starter macrumors 65816

namethisfile

thanks for explaining this to us in such detail, sir! and from an insider, nonetheless. it makes perfect sense that what you explain is common or are shared practices with companies and should have dawned on some people what these practices are simply from common sense. but, thanks, since this is first hand account from an insider.

well, if i do get my logic board replaced, i will make sure to test it on the spot by firing up motion 5 or fcp x or something and see if i can replicate the KP.

----------

are you using mavericks? doesn't certain apps fire up the dGPU anyway, regardless, of whether you're forcing the iGPU w/ gfxCardStatus?

i rolled back to snow leopard and no crashes! this is my solution at the moment.

i wish i could try to have my logic board replaced but the effort is worth $310. i just can't afford it, right now.

15. geralddarden macrumors member

geralddarden

No problem man. I purchased mine directly from Apple as a refurbished unit in 2011. I signed up for the open beta program with Apple and installed 10.9.3.

As for Kerbal Space Program, be prepared to enter the land where spare time goes to die.

https://kerbalspaceprogram.com
    http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/

Here is some more info on my system as of this morning at 10:25 AM CST:

http://imgur.com/a/h3KPI#8JcuOHx

16. namethisfile, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014

namethisfile

cool. thanks for sharing that.

how do you get info on the nvidia drivers though, such as shown on the bottom last image?

like the NVDARESMAN or whathaveyou?

also notice that your dGPU profile of device ID, Revision ID, ROM Revision, gMux version are the same as mine.

having the same MBP as you spec-for-spec, do you think i should look forward to 10.9.3?

i am running snow leopard 10.6.8 for 2 days now and no crashes.

all the apps that i have that are compatible with snow leopard hasn't cause a gpu-related KP or any KP, for that matter. nothing. nada. zilch!

i am re installing Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty (Heart of Swarm is not compatible with OS X 10.6) as i am typing this just to see if i can play it without crashing.

speaking of games, Kerbal Space Program looks interesting. reminds me of Legos.

Update: oops. can't play SC2: WoL either on snow leopard!

17. l.a.rossmann, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014

l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Let me make it simple.

The 820-2850, 820-2915, and 820-2914 motherboards are the worst motherboards Apple has made. The 820-2850 is the worst of them all(a1286 15.4" 2010).

We interview customers before repairing their machine. If they state their intention is to do video editing or play video games, we will not repair the computer. No, replacing the GPU isn't a permanent solution, nor is replacing it with leaded solder. Go ahead and try, and you'll see the results if you take in any real volume of machines for component level replacement on the board. Ask any company performing component level rework and you'll hear the same. Many won't admit it because they like to advertise high percentage success rates.. but the market speaks for itself. No one doing that work for a reasonable price(read: less than the cost of a replacement board) offers more than 30-90 day warranty, becuase they know better. :)

If the board gets heavily used in this manner, it will always come back. It's just a question of when. :)

There is nothing you can do to make machines with an 820-2850, 820-2915, or 820-2914 stop failing, short of you using them inside of a freezer.

The 820-2850 has many other PCB faults that will cause it to die even if you DO use it inside a freezer.

If you're planning to use final cut, or do anything nuts with your machine, get your laptop fixed, and sell it the second you get it back. Put that $$$ towards a Retina with INTEGRATED VIDEO and be happy. The Iris in a 2013 retina is close to the dedicated video in a 2010 machine, and it also won't boil your lap, or repeatedly die on you.

The Retina also has ventholes that are missing on every Unibody model that has ever existed.

For mobile use - Intel gets graphics right.

The A1286 2008, and 2009 boards(820-2330, 820-2523, 820-2532) were bosses when it came to not failing, and some of those didn't even use two fans! I much prefer those to the garbage that are the 820-2850 and 820-2915 :(

18. raptor402 macrumors 6502

I'm using Mavericks. Only some full screen apps (games rather) trigger the dGPU. I've had no problem with Lightroom 5. I don't do any video editing so I can't say about that. Quitting all dependant apps (apps that require the dGPU) switch gfxCardStatus from iGPU only to dGPU only, forcing you to manually switch back. It's a known issue but not really that big of a problem since I usually have chrome open all the time (it's require the dGPU on my MBP).

If you need the latest OS, you should try gfxCardStatus. It made my MBP useable again. Let's hope that it stays so for another year or two at the very least.

Best of luck!
    Raptor

19. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

I had a 2010 which needed a logic board change (display corruption). Both before and after running graphically intensive games would cause it to lock hard after 10 minutes or so. Using fan control apps and setting them to max could make it work for up to an hour, but it'd always fail eventually - the GPU cooling was basically completely inadequate. Of course, take it to an apple store and they'd say it was fine..

That machine died completely last year, I don't miss it, it was a lemon.

20. geralddarden macrumors member

geralddarden

Personally, I would recommend contacting Apple and request a main board replacement. With the new main board, on 10.9.3 you should be good to go, barring any other issues (third party kexts, incompatible apps, etc...).

21. namethisfile thread starter macrumors 65816

namethisfile

i went to their support page and chatted with an Apple Rep. I spoke to 2 people. I told them everything. they seem to just re-iterate the 3 year from purchase thing even though it's obviously way, way past that. i basically just said in the end that i can't afford a logic board replacement. and i also made sure to ask if he knew what the "defect" was and he said, that it is a manufacturing defect. manufacturing! i didn't go any further than that. and then towards the end, he told me that he'd passed the info on to apple engineering support or something and they will contact me in 5 days or so about the issue. i asked by email? and he said yes. the chat then ended.

any more ways of contacting apple? do you think like an email or letter to apple such as to a higher up person like whoever replaced steve jobs will help?

22. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I had the issue shortly after I purchased my mid-2010 17" MBP. Top half of the screen went all multicolored pixelation.

That was probably sometime in 2011 for that repair. It has been working like a champ since. I don't do anything too graphic intense. I have tried out a few games since the repair, but nothing where I am addicted and play everyday for hours. I do photo editing but that is not anything that taxes the graphics card like high frame rate videos/graphics.

I'm running Mavericks 10.9.2, if it matters.

If you can get it fixed/replaced, I don't see why it would not work for a number of additional years.

23. Boneheadxan macrumors regular

Boneheadxan

I saved up and picked up the latest gen!

While, I too missed the replacement window (I don't see why this is a limited time offer! They have the serial numbers) , I tried a lot of possible back & forth fixes, other than the logic board replacement. gfxstatus was a life saver for almost a year. I still wish there was some way to boot with the forced Intel graphics.

I was quite convinced it was a software issue and finally jumped back to Snow Leopard.

It worked fine for a day and then the issue re-surfaced. That is when I finally gave up. :mad: Used it for a year, being careful not to trigger the Nvidia graphics. On the day I wanted to sell it, I reformatted the drive and it never recovered from that. I can barely manage to boot in now. Can't even sell this crap.

24. namethisfile, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014

namethisfile

i'm going to wait to see if someone from Apple Rep will follow up an email regarding my MBP. I guess it will be 5 business days or something. so today and tomorrow which will be sunday will not count.

i can foresee a future where i will also be stuck with a machine i spent $2500 in december of 2010 that i can't even use to work in either FCPX or Motion 5 and/or Compressor which is also another wasted $600-$700 (or however much it cost to get those 3 apps in the app store). so that is a grand total of ~$3100-$3300???

yowzer!

bye bye dough down the apple toilet.

in related news, after running Snow Leopard fine for 4 days, I went up the Apple Operating System Ladder and went with Lion. that is Ten dot 7 point five!

FCP X or Motion whatever are still not compatible.

Although, from the brief day or so experience running OS X 10.7.5, the machine is behaving like it was behaving in Snow Leopard. Meaning, stable... or stabler... i should say. this means that i ran whatever apps i have that are compatible with this OS and didn't crash.

maybe i can smash this computer to pieces, though. then i'd feel better about blowing $3300!!!!

what do you guys think?

PS--I have to hand it to Apple though for giving them all that money in the first place. i don't feel jipped. or ripped off. it's just money! but, it's good marketing. it's good design. it works. i gave them almost everything i had to own one of their laptops. the shiny thing and aluminum thing. the OS X thing. the FCP X thing. The aspiring artist thing. I was totally sucked into it for a period of time. totally believing i needed to own a mac. i think some people feel this, too. but, it's not all that! it's not at all. feeling this not just because my MBP is crapping out or is crippled by some anonymous defect. but, just taking a step back from it all to realize how much ridiculous nonsense that I myself put into their products and thought that my own career depended on owning a mac. this did happen to me once believing that i was hired simply because i had a mac laptop. it's ridiculous!!!

PSS---the only good thing out of all of this from my perspective is that i didn' get this computer on credit. yikes that would have been! so, yeah, money goes down the toilet all the time. and i'm putting this computer, virtually, if not literally, in the same down the toilet hole story. not rich or anything but even poor people knows this. its down the toilet. and move on!

PSSS--this is partly why i will give up pursuing a fix for the logic board if it is anything but free. i don't wanna blow anymore dough than i have to trying to get this computer back to normal.

PSSSS--good luck to all the rest!

25. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

If you have $3300 invested into it already $300 is worth spending on it, even if you just resell it you will make a return.

Barney