Did my scuffed iPhone just become cool?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Raggsokk, May 22, 2013.

1. Raggsokk macrumors member

Today, I dropped my iPhone. Again.

I've rocked this thing naked since day one, and while I almost pissed my pants and froze the first time, at this point I merely moved with the speed of a ninja to pick it up, breaking my coffee cup in the process.

So I had a discussion with a couple friends the other day. One of them uses the awful otterbox case, even though he rarely travels further than the fridge. He asked me how I could stand my scuffed iPhone 5 with the obvious scuffs.
    I didn't get to respond before my other friend, this one being a fashion freak, shouted:

"Dude, that thing is awesome, like it's a vintage iPhone! You can see this phone has been around the world, seen some ****!"

That guy proceeded to carefully scratch his iPhone in just the right places with his car keys not long after.

What I'm trying to say? Well.. You got some scuffs? Don't worry. The girls dig it.

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

You need to pick up some classier chicks. You know. The ones who don't judge people by the state of their phone and misuse the word 'vintage'. A Vintage iPhone is clearly an oxymoron.

But whatever floats your boat dude.

3. Raggsokk thread starter macrumors member

Wow. Just wow. No further comment.

4. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

You need some new friends. Mint is always better than minging in my book!

5. Ann P macrumors 68020

No, nothing is "cool" about a beat up or cracked phone.

6. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

While I prefer my products to be pristine, I truly respect those who could give two shists whether their iProduct had a scratch or three. And the otterbox is the true abomination!

Stick with your friend, the fashiony one...

7. Raggsokk thread starter macrumors member

First off, I don't believe what I wrote would give you any reason whatsoever to suggest me getting new friends. I'm perfectly happy with the ones I have, however quirky they might be.

Now I got a question. A philosophical one. Kinda.

We divide iPhone owners into two groups.
    1) Those who really care about their iPhone, using screen protectors, back protectors, big cases, small cases, otterboxes and so on.

2) Those who are in it for the software and the premium feel of the iPhone, avoiding the cheap feel of cases and protection. And those who just don't give a damn.

Both say something about ones personality. whitch is a bad thing? Being obsessive, or being carefree?

I'm in the latter group. But I do use condoms.

8. allthatjazz macrumors regular

Or how about we all enjoy our own and not worry about condition of other people's devices.....

No it's def. not cool throwing your phone around BUT to each their own.

9. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Did my scuffed iPhone just become cool?

No. It did not.

10. BoostDeuce macrumors member

I care about my phone but i'm not about to put a case on it. if i drop it, i'll be upset especially if it gets damaged, but life goes on and i won't beat my dog because my phone is scratched.

Its a cell phone, not something super important.

11. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

well i would be in category number 2. BUT i have an iphone 4S and i take care of my phone by not putting it in the same pocket with keys or coins and what not. common sense stuff. so there are a few tiny scratches in the glass after a year bit i dont mind those - they are hardly visible.

i say this because the iphone 5 is much more prone to scratching and them scratches standing out, and to me there is nothing *cool* about walking around with a cracked or severely scratched phone - in the same manner its not *cool* placing ones phone in hideous rubber cases.

12. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

I think your friend who intentionally matched your phones scratches on his phone with his keys should seek psychological help. :D

13. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

No he didn't!

14. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I suppose I would fall into this group. I use my iPhone naked not because I don't give a damn, but because I like the feel of a naked iPhone compared to having a case on it.

Buck cheddar nothin' better!

15. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Just scratched my phone deliberately in the back! (thought "what the heck!")

I have to admit, its a very liberating feeling!!

:cool: Now instead of scar stories I have scuff stories!

16. Fouracre44 macrumors regular

Does it matter? Scratches on a phone are not a big deal, nor do they ruin the iphone either. I prefer using cases and otterbox cases are not " awful " they're excellent quality and they provide a sturdier feeling the iphone 5 which is nice but a tad light.

Some prefer to baby their devices, some are in the middle, some treat their device like crap. Personally, I like to throw an otter box or silicone case on all of my phones for shock absorption. I won't be putting an otterbox on my lumia 920 only because the phone is sturdy as it is, and because the otterbox is too big, I am putting a silicone gel case on it because I don't give a damn about looks, it's a phone I'm not using a Nokia Lumia as an acessory, I use my phone as a tool & I only have one because I have to, I only have a smartphone because there are a few things that I do that requires it ( emails, browsing, media ) .

IN the end we have to ask ourselves.. does it really matter?

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't give a hoot if my iPhone is scratched or dinged, but that doesn't mean I like it that way. If I had a choice, I'm replace it every time there was a permanent mark on the phone.

:rolleyes:

18. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 68040

The-Real-Deal82

I stick a screen protector and a clear slim case on my iPhone, not because I want it to look pristine and make me appear cool, but to enable me to get a decent price for it at the end of my contract. I simply look after things I have paid good money for.

I don't give a damn what people think of me, and if they are judging me by what phone I am using or how I have treated it, they aren't living life to the same level as me :)

----------

I hadn't read this part carefully enough initially, but this sounds a little made up to me.

Girls in my experience aren't bothered by what phones you are using unless they are mid teens and just like to show off what their parents have bought them. Most girls in my age group (late 20's) are professionals who use their phones as an everyday object and this sort of status attention rarely comes into it. The iPhone is just a popular phone and its only really places like this that give any real attention to it in my experience. The example/tale/story quoted above sounds more like a point being put across in a rather fictional way. Is the message stating that girls 'dig' guys who deliberately scratch their iPhones or treat them mean because it shows they have a lot of money and girls respect that or are somehow impressed by it? They must be an easy catch but not so great in the long haul on the long winter nights lol.

19. Raggsokk thread starter macrumors member

Getting a better price for your used iPhone 5 is an extremely valid point, and the only reason why I would consider a case myself. I use my phones till they're broken though, then I buy a new and shiny one.

The story is not made up, although it would sound different in it's original language. The translation might be a little over the top, but the point remains the same.

As far as girls go, that's completely made up, and I hope I didn't cause any teenage boys to scratch their iPhone before the big prom date.

Seriously guys, if a girl ever says anything about your phone, whether it being cool or hideous.. Run for it. And be sure not to give away your personal information.

20. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 68040

The-Real-Deal82

Not teenage boys, but I just ran mine over a disk sander and am hugely disappointed to learn you made it all up.. :p :)

21. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Short answer: No

22. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Well, plenty of things can happen on couch to fridge excursions. It's not something to downplay.

23. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

The only way we can really tell if it's cool or not is if you post a picture.

24. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Is obviously a covert move by Apple to decrease the number of store visits by cosmetic reasons. :D

25. AmazingGraceTx macrumors regular

AmazingGraceTx

My thought is, it took me so long and so much effort to finally get an iPhone, I'm gonna baby that thing. I have cases, a screen protector and a specific pocket in my quilted Vera Bradley that holds my phone perfectly. My goal is to have a pristine, or close to it, phone in two years when I plan to upgrade. I also plan on having my original phone. I know stuff happens, but this is my goal. I can't get over the whole scuffed is cool mentality for something so expensive.