Did OSX 10.6.3 slow down your bootup time?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ermir4444, Mar 29, 2010.

1. ermir4444 macrumors regular

ermir4444

It slowed down mine with almost 15 sec. My MBP used to boot up in 30 sec no the best i could do after trying several times is 45 sec. Do you guys have the same problem?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Repair permission with Disk Utility and run OnyX

3. ermir4444 thread starter macrumors regular

ermir4444

I did that last night with osx 10.6.2. But ill try it again

4. The ArchAngel macrumors regular

So, I don't really care too much about boot times on my MBP since I almost always just put it to sleep and toss it in my bag when I'm done with it, but I did not notice any significant change with 10.6.3 and I've recycled the machine twice now since the update.

Also, what is this phantom 16" MBP in your sig?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Probably a hackintosh

6. The ArchAngel macrumors regular

So that's fine and dandy, but then why not refer to it as such instead of a MacBook Pro?

7. ermir4444 thread starter macrumors regular

ermir4444

Its just my prediction (more like a wishfull thinking) for the next generation MBP. I forgot i should add there an ati 5830

8. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

sorry to burst your bubble, but 16" is highly unlikely.

9. The ArchAngel macrumors regular

Yeah I can't see a completely new form factor when the unibody isn't that old of a design in the first place.

10. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Problem reports should be limited to people using real Macs, not Crapintoshes.

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

So I guessed you missed this bit then:

OP, try verify and repair your HD under disk util. My mini has the same bootup time as with 10.6.2

12. vant macrumors 65816

10.6.3 on MBP13 and I'm getting slower boots as well.

13. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

yup...sloooow boot but i am going to keep this as exchange has become more reliable...

14. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

yeah, same here. 13" mbp with an intel SSD. booting used to only take half a gear spin but now it's taking 5-6 of them. not a big deal at all since i probably only reboot once a month and the difference is only about 10 seconds, but it was something I noticed.

15. fesmitty77 macrumors newbie

Same Issues, massively long start times

I went from about a 45 second startup t almost 8 minutes.... I ran Onyx and verified permissions, etc. I even went through TechTool Pro checks,and all looks normal. Anyone have a clue as to why it's taking so long?

MB 2.16GHz

16. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

So much for "under the hood " tuning ...

Snow Leopard was supposed to be Leopard but better
    yet the latest Leopard release is much more stable than the half year old Snow Leopard with weird problems
    not to mention slower reboots

how can an OS that is supposed to be faster , make your computer slower is really amazing

17. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

My boot time doubled from 45 secs after 10.6.3, and everything was much slower in general. A clean install sorted it all out though.

18. fesmitty77 macrumors newbie

So Jolly, did you revert to 10.6.0 or did you reinstall and patch to 10.6.3? I would really love to not reinstall the OS, I've done enough of that in the recent weeks...

19. Dead Panda macrumors member

Why do people have to reboot their computers all the time? I leave all of my computers on 24/7.

It always confuses me when people complain about boot up time.

20. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I did a complete reinstall and updated with the 10.6.3 combo.

21. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

10-12 sec longer booting for me, as well. But I don’t mind that as everything else is as fast as it was before.

Not near as fast as Tiger was and still is on all of my PPC macs, tho. SL got still issues as much as I love it.

22. mackintard macrumors newbie

yes way slower

I guess theres no point in complaining since it wont be fixed. But doubling someones boot up time for no reason seems pretty obnoxious.

23. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

For those with slighty longer boot times, verify your startup disk in System Prefs. I've had updates deselect the boot drive causing startups to be slower as the system scans drives and waits for a possible network startup.

All I've have to do in the past is reselect the startup disk and everything is back to normal.

-Kevin

24. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Did OSX 10.6.3 slow down your bootup time?"

Yes, it did. Considerably.

Actually, when compared to the OS I had installed before it (10.4.11), Snow Leopard "boots slower", but shuts down MUCH more quickly.

Repairing permissions, cleaning logs, etc., makes no difference at all.

It STILL loads up slower. Much longer period with "the gray screen". Finder loads quickly enough, however.

This is on a 2007 white Intel iMac, the last of that production run...

25. jon08 macrumors 65816

It also slowed down my bootup time by 5-10 secs on the average. It used to be around 45 secs, not it's only sometimes that it will boot up within 45 secs - most of the time it's more like 55.

Also, ever since installing SL I never really experienced the "immediate shut down" speed they boasted about. It was only after the clean install that upon shutting my MBP down/restarting it it would take two or three seconds before it restarted, but later on whenever I pressed "Restart" or "Shut Down", it would at least take like 10-15 secs before it shut down. So where's the speed you claimed, Apple?

Well yeah, if I restart my MBP, then after a couple of mins try it again, that's when it will actually power off within like 5 secs, but if you worked on it for a while, it will always take more than 10secs to shut down. Heh.