Did OSX 10.6.3 slow down your bootup time?

ermir4444

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Toronto On
It slowed down mine with almost 15 sec. My MBP used to boot up in 30 sec no the best i could do after trying several times is 45 sec. Do you guys have the same problem?

The ArchAngel

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
It slowed down mine with almost 15 sec. My MBP used to boot up in 30 sec no the best i could do after trying several times is 45 sec. Do you guys have the same problem?
So, I don't really care too much about boot times on my MBP since I almost always just put it to sleep and toss it in my bag when I'm done with it, but I did not notice any significant change with 10.6.3 and I've recycled the machine twice now since the update.

Also, what is this phantom 16" MBP in your sig?

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Problem reports should be limited to people using real Macs, not Crapintoshes.
So I guessed you missed this bit then:

Its just my prediction (more like a wishfull thinking) for the next generation MBP. I forgot i should add there an ati 5830
OP, try verify and repair your HD under disk util. My mini has the same bootup time as with 10.6.2

MBHockey

macrumors 68040
Oct 4, 2003
New York
yeah, same here. 13" mbp with an intel SSD. booting used to only take half a gear spin but now it's taking 5-6 of them. not a big deal at all since i probably only reboot once a month and the difference is only about 10 seconds, but it was something I noticed.

fesmitty77

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008
Same Issues, massively long start times

I went from about a 45 second startup t almost 8 minutes.... I ran Onyx and verified permissions, etc. I even went through TechTool Pro checks,and all looks normal. Anyone have a clue as to why it's taking so long?

MB 2.16GHz

MacBH928

macrumors 68040
May 17, 2008
So much for "under the hood " tuning ...

Snow Leopard was supposed to be Leopard but better
yet the latest Leopard release is much more stable than the half year old Snow Leopard with weird problems
not to mention slower reboots

how can an OS that is supposed to be faster , make your computer slower is really amazing

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
My boot time doubled from 45 secs after 10.6.3, and everything was much slower in general. A clean install sorted it all out though.

fesmitty77

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008
So Jolly, did you revert to 10.6.0 or did you reinstall and patch to 10.6.3? I would really love to not reinstall the OS, I've done enough of that in the recent weeks...

Dead Panda

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2010
Why do people have to reboot their computers all the time? I leave all of my computers on 24/7.

It always confuses me when people complain about boot up time.

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
So Jolly, did you revert to 10.6.0 or did you reinstall and patch to 10.6.3? I would really love to not reinstall the OS, I've done enough of that in the recent weeks...
I did a complete reinstall and updated with the 10.6.3 combo.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
10-12 sec longer booting for me, as well. But I don’t mind that as everything else is as fast as it was before.

Not near as fast as Tiger was and still is on all of my PPC macs, tho. SL got still issues as much as I love it.

mackintard

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
yes way slower

I guess theres no point in complaining since it wont be fixed. But doubling someones boot up time for no reason seems pretty obnoxious.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
For those with slighty longer boot times, verify your startup disk in System Prefs. I've had updates deselect the boot drive causing startups to be slower as the system scans drives and waits for a possible network startup.

All I've have to do in the past is reselect the startup disk and everything is back to normal.

-Kevin

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
"Did OSX 10.6.3 slow down your bootup time?"

Yes, it did. Considerably.

Actually, when compared to the OS I had installed before it (10.4.11), Snow Leopard "boots slower", but shuts down MUCH more quickly.

Repairing permissions, cleaning logs, etc., makes no difference at all.

It STILL loads up slower. Much longer period with "the gray screen". Finder loads quickly enough, however.

This is on a 2007 white Intel iMac, the last of that production run...

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
It also slowed down my bootup time by 5-10 secs on the average. It used to be around 45 secs, not it's only sometimes that it will boot up within 45 secs - most of the time it's more like 55.

Also, ever since installing SL I never really experienced the "immediate shut down" speed they boasted about. It was only after the clean install that upon shutting my MBP down/restarting it it would take two or three seconds before it restarted, but later on whenever I pressed "Restart" or "Shut Down", it would at least take like 10-15 secs before it shut down. So where's the speed you claimed, Apple?

Well yeah, if I restart my MBP, then after a couple of mins try it again, that's when it will actually power off within like 5 secs, but if you worked on it for a while, it will always take more than 10secs to shut down. Heh.