Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Im not going to go back and forth, changing his words to mine is not mocking.

Mocking would be if I made fun of him or her for what he thought. I never undermined his thoughts I just replaced them with my own.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled thread..:)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mock

Definition of MOCK

transitive verb
: to treat with contempt or ridicule : deride
: to disappoint the hopes of
: defy, challenge
a : to imitate (as a mannerism) closely : mimic
b : to mimic in sport or derision

yupp no mocking here. *move along folks

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I see it a bit differently. Apple has a history of pretty great products, they've set the bar high. So when they fail to deliver, like they did with the iPhone 5, people are unimpressed, as well they should be.

I have been buying Apple products since 1991. I know what they are capable of, that's why I find the iPhone 5 dull and lackluster. I know better, it's as simple as that.

i see whatchya mean but what do you propose would have been grounds for better on the iphone 5? honestly curious as to what you and others find desirable and up to par.

IMO iOS is one of the biggest reasons i feel like the iphone is lack lusting

Good points. I do think iOS could be much more than it is if they would just incorporate a few of androids ideas. I wonder if its all this copyright crap that is holding companies back or they are just unsure of what new technologies will become available in the next few years so they are holding back certain things to make sure they have something "new" to release with each iteration.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mock

Definition of MOCK

transitive verb
: to treat with contempt or ridicule : deride
: to disappoint the hopes of
: defy, challenge
a : to imitate (as a mannerism) closely : mimic
b : to mimic in sport or derision

yupp no mocking here. *move along folks

Ok OK I said I wasnt going to go back and forth but sure one more reply I guess.

I would say I edited his comments to more closely represent what I view as the true nature of the topic.

ed·it (dt)
tr.v. ed·it·ed, ed·it·ing, ed·its
a. To prepare (written material) for publication or presentation, as by correcting, revising, or adapting.
b. To prepare an edition of for publication: edit a collection of short stories.
c. To modify or adapt so as to make suitable or acceptable: edited her remarks for presentation to a younger audience.
2. To supervise the publication of (a newspaper or magazine, for example).
3. To assemble the components of (a film or soundtrack, for example), as by cutting and splicing.
4. To eliminate; delete: edited the best scene out.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Frankly I love that gif. Thank you sir you made my day. Secondly, I'm not certain if you are being sarcastic or if you really are saying there is no mocking in his post? I'd even argue there is a bit of definition 3 in his post.

glad you dig it too.
i was with you on this one.
most definitely mocking.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Ok OK I said I wasnt going to go back and forth but sure one more reply I guess.

I would say I edited his comments to more closely represent what I view as the true nature of the topic.

ed·it (dt)
a. To prepare (written material) for publication or presentation, as by correcting, revising, or adapting.
b. To prepare an edition of for publication: edit a collection of short stories.
c. To modify or adapt so as to make suitable or acceptable: edited her remarks for presentation to a younger audience.
3. To assemble the components of (a film or soundtrack, for example), as by cutting and splicing.

This is all moot. If the OP doesn't feel that you mocked him it doesn't really matter. In my opinion you did mock him but it really doesn't matter.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX

ed·it (dt)

hehe semantic battles.

yeah you were definitely editing his his remarks to make it more presentable :rolleyes:

vandy is right

This is all moot. If the OP doesn't feel that you mocked him it doesn't really matter. In my opinion you did mock him but it really doesn't matter.

i bid you adieu

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Of course he's offended, he got served a hot plate of facts and logics.

Got served a hot plate of logics? I guess you missed the part where I said they were my opinions? Like I said I have had 3 android phones and they have always disappointed in performance and use. My iPhone 5 has never lagged on me and I have never had one app shut down on me while using it. The best thing about my iPhone that I never had with my SIII was how perfectly it works with every other device I own such as my Mac and appletv. Now those are facts and not an opinion.

One of my favorite iOS features that android does not have is a shared reminders list, makes grocery shopping much easier between my wife and I. So that is why I like my iPhone over my SIII since its better in performance/memory management and it syncs so perfectly with all my devices. Everyone has different reasons for for having their favorite device.

Also why do i have defend my opinion of why I prefer the iPhone over the SIII?

Last edited:

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Get the Galaxy S III then. I'm pretty sure iPhone users don't want a phone that's too big in both weight and screen size - because then it'll just feel too bulky. I think the iPhone 5's screen size is more than good enough with respect to what I'd expect out of a mobile phone... hell, I was even content with the iPhone 4S' screen.

If you want screen real estate, get an iPad mini or an iPad.

I disagree, if Apple made a 4.5" or 5" iPhone users would go absolutely CRAZY for it. You know its true!

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I disagree, if Apple made a 4.5" or 5" iPhone users would go absolutely CRAZY for it. You know its true!

Not really, I love the 4in screen and will not go bigger unless they stop making the iPhone with 4". Yes some will prefer it but everyone has their own niche and with iPhone 5 selling better then the SIII that shows that big screens are not for everyone.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Got served a hot plate of logics? I guess you missed the part where I said they were my opinions? Like I said I have had 3 android phones and they have always disappointed in performance and use. My iPhone 5 has never lagged on me and I have never had one app shut down on me while using it. The best thing about my iPhone that I never had with my SIII was how perfectly it works with every other device I own such as my Mac and appletv. Now those are facts and not an opinion.

One of my favorite iOS features that android does not have is a shared reminders list, makes grocery shopping much easier between my wife and I. So that is why I like my iPhone over my SIII since its better in performance/memory management and it syncs so perfectly with all my devices. Everyone has different reasons for for having their favorite device.

Also why do i have defend my opinion of why I prefer the iPhone over the SIII?

You wrote:

The iPhone 5 has plenty of the wow factor. First of all it is the fastest phone currently on the market. On geekbench it scores 1665 where the SIII only score around 1400. If that isn't wow then I don't know what is. If by wow factors you actually mean gimmicks then no it doesn't have any of those because the SIIi has plenty of gimmicks to go around.

You used Geekbench to prove (not give your opinion) that iPhone 5 is fastest. Then someone posted other geekbench numbers proving otherwise. You don't have to defend your preference to iPhone 5 but defend what you post here. The rest of your post is irrelevant, it was posted after.

Steevie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
Im sure he did. He knew he didnt have much time and im sure he spent as much time leaving a roadmap for his colleauges. just by looking at the 5 you can see his philosophy in action...thinner, faster, lighter

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

I wouldn't. I think even the 4-inch is a little too big now that I've been using it for a bit. If they made a 3.5-inch iPhone with LTE I would go for that in a heartbeat.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
iPhone 5 and Steve Jobs

No way that Steve touched the iPhone 5. The WOW factor is completely missing. All there is, is the Ho Hum factor.:(

----------

The iPhone 5 screen is only useful for making phone calls. I guess that is all Apple want you to use it for. Never mind the internet searching, the pages, numbers, keynote apps that are useless. Never mind the videos and pictures. Just use it as a phone because that is all you can really, actively work with.:(

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
They already have their marketing plan worked out. They research the next iPhone, when they figure out what they want to do they find ways to make the current technology smaller (iPhone main upgrades) or faster (iPhone S upgrades). Then when it's pretty much ready for mass production they start working on the next iPhone.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
So, I'm sure you've heard of the rumors that before Steve Jobs died, one of the last things he did was to work on the iPhone 5 and make that one of the items Apple would release. Does anyone think this is true? I find it hard to believe Jobs did anything on the iPhone 5 because it's so lacking in any wow factor in the face of so much competition from Samsung. If I was in Steve Jobs' shoes working on the final project of my life, I wouldn't have been so conservative. What is most likely is that Jobs did not do anything at all with the iPhone 5, iPad Mini, etc....

who cares?

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
No way that Steve touched the iPhone 5. The WOW factor is completely missing. All there is, is the Ho Hum factor.:(

----------

The iPhone 5 screen is only useful for making phone calls. I guess that is all Apple want you to use it for. Never mind the internet searching, the pages, numbers, keynote apps that are useless. Never mind the videos and pictures. Just use it as a phone because that is all you can really, actively work with.:(

What?! :confused: The extra screen space is only good for making calls? Is it because the screen shuts off during a call, that's why it's only good for phone calls? I am completely baffled by why you think the larger screen isn't good for videos or internet browsing. The longer screen really helps with sites like this.

I personally haven't used iWork on my phone but I don't think those are meant for phone screens at all in my opinion. Please explain yourself here.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
The fact that the iphone had buttery smooth scrolling upon initial release. 5 years ago. Something Android is only just getting now. Apparently, depending who you believe.

Android is still not there. Go to any Best Buy and play with android tablets, and they feel nasty. Then go to the iPad section and it's a night and day difference.

Same for phones.

iOS provides the far smoother experience by far.

And we've been hearing the UI lag in android has been solved since Gingerbread...not quite. Maybe after a 10 core CPU drops in a couple of years.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Android is still not there. Go to any Best Buy and play with android tablets, and they feel nasty. Then go to the iPad section and it's a night and day difference.

Same for phones.

And we've been hearing the UI lag in android has been solved since Gingerbread...not quite. Maybe after a 10 core CPU drops in a couple of years.

Actually, while I would have agreed with you while Gingerbread was the latest my experience with Jelly Bean w/ Project Butter has been quite smooth. On par with iOS, finally. And 1.6GHz Quad core is enough for now Lol.

techkidd4400

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2007
I think the OP is probably correct, but not b/c I think the iPhone 5 lacks a wow factor. Jobs made his wow factor contributions while he was living, he didn't need to make any while dying from a horrendous illness. Let the man rest.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
The first things I thought when I picked up the iPhone 5 for the first time?

Wow, it's thin.
Wow, it's light, but doesn't feel cheap.
Wow, LTE is fast.
Wow, the UI is smooth.
Wow, the extra screen real estate is handy.
Wow, it looks cool.

If you call those "wow factors" then you have to redefine your definition of "wow."

Thin? Ok my phone is thin to...?

Light? I could carry my phone pretty easily.

LTE? Yea so what? iPhone 5 isn't the only phone to offer it. iPhone played catch up with this really.

Smooth UI? Have you tried Jelly Bean?

Screen real estate? Been there done that...yawn...boy am I getting sleepy!

Looks cool? Oh let's buy this phone it looks cool :cool: Great it has the looks, but that's a subjective thing.

Sorry but those are hardly compelling to buy an iPhone over anything else.

As for the competition from Samsung...

Wow, it feels cheap and plasticky.
Wow, the screen looks iridescent green and feels mushy.
Wow, scrolling is choppy. Zooming too.
Wow, the jumble of icons and buttons on the home page are so unintuitive and inconsistent.

That's 6 wows to 4, for those of you keeping score.

While I don't have a Samsung, I have a Sumsung made phone and yea the quality is subpar.

When comparing to the Nexus you are dead wrong on the rest. Sorry but it's true. Screen is great (and larger than the iPhone 5). Jelly Bean is smooth as a baby's behind. I like to able to layout my screen the way I like it, not the way some company tells you to.

Oh and I have a great Map app that actually works. :D

Same for phones.

Try Jelly Bean...you might learn something ;)

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
Why must every thread turn in to Pokemon battle.

Seriously, OP asked serious question and the best you guys can do is argue lag and screen sizes?

kdarling

macrumors P6
It was in the Jobs' biography that it was stated that Ive's studio held mockups of four years' worth of planned (or at least possible) products.

Of course, that doesn't mean the current leadership is going to follow all (or any) of those ideas.

The main legacy that Jobs left, and which Cook seems to keep going, was Apple's method of an odd/even upgrade progression: new case one year, slight improvements the next year, with one big bang feature that required upgrading to the new model.

Personally I hope that one of the new products in the pipeline is an Apple smartwatch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.