Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RockMan38

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
My phone basically rode around in a truck today for 12 hours and is now back at the depot. Tracking info showed out for delivery by end of day at 811 this morning. Then magically at 2050 it shows delivery for 11/16 end of day.

Great job UPS!!

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
This unfortunately happens every year a little while after launch days of iPhones. It’ll take some time but either Apple or UPS will be able to get you the phone you ordered, whether it’s the exact one you ordered or a replacement.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
Yes, they did. My iPhone 12 Pro Max is stuck at Destination Scan at the local hub, even though it's showing a delivery day of 11/13. Meanwhile, I received the iPhone 12 mini today via UPS as expected. Don't know why the mini arrived and the Max did not. :mad:

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Luckily I wound up getting my phone, but UPS definitely gave me a bit of a scare today. I had redirected my package to be delivered at a UPS Store near my house because UPS usually doesn’t get to my house until 4 or 5PM. At about 11AM I got an alert that my package was ready for pickup at the UPS store, but when I got there they looked around at the packages that had just been delivered and said that my phone wasn’t there.

They were quite unhelpful and the best they could offer was “Well, the driver might have accidentally left your package on the truck. He’ll probably bring it back later today. Or maybe not.” I left my name and number and asked them to call me if it showed up.

As I drove home I called the UPS 800 number and explained the issue and they said that someone from the local distribution center would call me back within an hour and they should be able to get in touch with the driver. About 45 minutes later I got a call from the distribution center and she kept insisting that the driver had to have scanned my package for it to show up as being at the UPS Store and there was no way that he could have left it on his truck. She said that it was absolutely at the UPS Store.

At that point I felt like I was just stuck in the middle with the UPS store saying that the driver had it and the distribution center saying that the UPS store had it. I asked the person from the distribution center if I could call the UPS store and conference them in so that we could get everyone on the same page and she reluctantly agreed.

I called the UPS store and joined the calls together and as soon as I said my name the guy from the UPS store said “oh, I have a package with your name on it right here. It’s in my hands now.” So I drove back to the UPS store and was finally able to get the phone.

No one at the store could explain how the package suddenly appeared or why they weren’t able to find it when I was there the first time. Nor why they didn’t call me when they did finally find it.

UPS is definitely not my favorite company.

On a side note, issues like this are why I think having release day on a Friday is a bad idea. If release day was a Thursday and a shipment got screwed up then you’d just have to wait until the next day. That would still suck, but it would be better than having to wait through the weekend for another delivery attempt on Monday.

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA
My phone basically rode around in a truck today for 12 hours and is now back at the depot. Tracking info showed out for delivery by end of day at 811 this morning. Then magically at 2050 it shows delivery for 11/16 end of day.

Great job UPS!!
The “delivery vehicle” for my 12 pro max today was a UPS employee in his personal car (Honda Accord). Seeing him pull up to the house completely explained the erratic delivery pattern I had been witnessing for the previous 2 1/2 hours.

I suspect UPS put a bunch of employees (or maybe it was 3rd party delivery contractors) on the road today simply to deal with iPhone deliveries and allowed the normal drivers to handle the other stuff. They had to be slammed.

Once the numbers come out I think we will see that demand for the 12 Pro Max iPhones, despite COVID fears, was/is much greater than anticipated.

chanerz

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2010
My carrier was UPS but didn’t use the brown truck. He came with his personal car. Thought he was from Amazon.

bushman4

macrumors 68040
Mar 22, 2011
Now that UPS and FEDEX are totally overwhelmed by the holidays and iPhone deliveries , picking your iPhone up at an Apple store is probably the best bet except for the pandemic. However I have to say people waiting were socially distanced wearing masks and they were taking temperatures

Reactions: morganBH

Waterman316

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
The “delivery vehicle” for my 12 pro max today was a UPS employee in his personal car (Honda Accord). Seeing him pull up to the house completely explained the erratic delivery pattern I had been witnessing for the previous 2 1/2 hours.

I suspect UPS put a bunch of employees (or maybe it was 3rd party delivery contractors) on the road today simply to deal with iPhone deliveries and allowed the normal drivers to handle the other stuff. They had to be slammed.

Once the numbers come out I think we will see that demand for the 12 Pro Max iPhones, despite COVID fears, was/is much greater than anticipated.

My carrier was UPS but didn’t use the brown truck. He came with his personal car. Thought he was from Amazon.
Ups has been hiring seasonal employees to deal with the holiday demands that are willing to use their personal vehicles to deliver packages. This is more than likely what it was. Ups driver that delivered mine was in a little white car. I have read about people having theirs delivered by Uhaul trucks as well. It saves them money doing this, as they don’t have to purchase or maintain or insure another vehicle that they only plan on using seasonally.

Klatti

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2012
Germany
Same happened to me in Germany. The Max Pro of my brother which we ordered later arrived in the morning, while my Max Pro didn’t come. It said delivery 13. November, packed in truck and now is back in depot for delivery on monday ? it’s hilarious because I’ve accepted the phone of my brother because we live at the same address.

kmaute

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
USA
Ordered two 12 Pro Max for Friday delivery. One came no problem. The other (mine) was never unloaded from the flight container Thursday night and is unavailable until Monday even if it just happens to be sitting at my local center. I get stuff happens (weather, missed flights, etc) but sheer incompetence is something else.

Reactions: Lsmachado

MacCheetah3

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN

Great job UPS!!
FYI: "Out for delivery" only indicates the package was scanned and placed in a delivery vehicle (or ready to be placed in the delivery vehicle?). It doesn't guarantee the vehicle is going out that day, etc, even if it is scheduled. I learned that the frustrating way -- long story, not Apple product delivery related -- after contacting UPS support.

Reactions: Lsmachado

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
Based on my past experience with this local UPS hub, where my orders from Amazon and Best Buy have been lost, I’m worried that my iPhone 12 Pro Max is lost, too. What recourse do I have?

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Based on my past experience with this local UPS hub, where my orders from Amazon and Best Buy have been lost, I’m worried that my iPhone 12 Pro Max is lost, too. What recourse do I have?

I mean eventually it will be sorted out. It’s clear from the tracking information that you didn’t receive the phone and eventually UPS will declare the package lost and Apple will send another phone, so it’s not like you will lost money. But of course you will lose time. It’s likely that UPS and Apple will wait at least a few days and maybe even a week or more before they declare the package lost, so that sucks, but there’s not really a lot you can do.

If that package tracking info doesn’t show any recent scans and/or it’s past the original estimate then you can call the UPS 800 number and they can try to trace the package. That would be the first step to trying to get them that to admit that they lost it.

Going forward store pickup is an option to avoid having to deal with your lossy UPS hub, but that assumes that you have an Apple Store within in driving distance and are willing and able to take a trip there.

You also could consider ordering from a different source. I believe that the orders I have placed through ATT are usually delivered by FedEx. I’m not sure what other carriers or stores like Best Buy use, but you might be able to still get a phone delivered that way and also avoid UPS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.