Did we forget push notifications on the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dude963841, Jan 4, 2009.

1. dude963841 macrumors member

frankly I don't care if a iPhone nano is realeased, they still need to perfect the iPhone 3G with push, Steve even told us they've been working on it. With a the hype about the new mac mini, that I will most likely buy, and such
    What do u think? Push at macworld?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Patients grasshoppah.
    MacWorld is on Tuesday.

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Possible mention of it...not sure what it'll entail, though.

4. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Yeah, if you don't have PATIENCE you might end up like the PATIENTS in the hospital. ;)

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Haha! It's late, I have school tomorrow, excuse, excuse. Moral of the story: I knew it looked funny.

6. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

Yes...having patience would apply if Apple said "Hey, we are working on Push Notifications, but we're not quite sure when it will be ready. Keep on the watch for it." However, instead they said "Oh, we'll have push by the end of September! No question about it!" If Apple would just be honest about it, then maybe everyone would stop asking why Push is so late. The only reason it's "Late" is because Apple guaranteed a release timeframe for it.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

hmmmm, i dont remember the "no question part"....

8. Aurial macrumors 6502

9. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Push will make little additional money. Nano will make lots and lots of money.

Therefore, Nano wins.

10. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Thread hijack = fail.

Push will come in due time. Hell, it might even be announced at MW. That might be some of the "little big" news.

11. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

Apple is busy porting part of the OS X time machine to iphone.
    Push notifications will come with time. They already choose the new marketing name for push notifications... Sleeping Neurons will be anunced at macworld, and will be ready for october.

12. Pared macrumors 65816

No need to forget it. Some have been using it with hardly any issues since Yahoo already offers it.

Would be nice if Gmail did as well but forwarding my emails to my Yahoo account have been perfectly fine for me up to this day. :)

13. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

14. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Incorrect.

Push notifications are for apps.

Push email is for email.

15. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Why would they even bother doing this? iTunes already makes backups when you sync your iPhone. Granted it only keeps track of the most recent backup, but I fail to see any reason why I would want to restore my iPhone with a backup taken in September...

16. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I'm sure Apple is working on a method of convergence in terms of iTunes backups, MobileMe syncs, and Time Machine restore capabilities. I suspect all of these independent pieces will converge in some way in the not too distant future.

17. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

My guess is that they will release a new iphone aka Nano with the new updated firmware in it. So we will have to wait unitl the Nano is avail in stores for our firmware update. Similar to 2.0 and the 3G iphone.

18. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Anyhow ...

I think Phil will give us a "We're making progress" update and make a tentative launch for Summer '09. Devs will maybe get a new SDK a week after MacWorld with the Push stuff in it, so that apps can be ready for the summer.

My 2 cents on the issue.

19. Pared macrumors 65816

It's the same thing: a server based technology that notifies the end user of a change in their application status. Email is an app, is it not?

If you'd like to argue semantics, have fun with yourself. ;)

20. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Except the end result is different. Push notifications are going to have to carry everything from IMs to task alarms. Bigger than just email notifications.

21. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Well sure when you boil it down to the very simplistic definition it's pretty similar. But if it's the same thing then how come the iPhone can't do it currently? It can do push email just fine, just not push anything else.

22. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

ok but the technology isn't wrapped up like push mail. if you setup n push mail accounts, you have to mainting 3 separate persistent connections to 3 servers.

push notifications will have one persistent connection for various servers because there's one proxy (apple responsability) that is setup to do the polling with the party servers.

23. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Past 2 days it's been working perfectly on my Yahoo! email :eek::eek:

24. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yes, the name and actions are similar, but they're not the same thing (yet).

Push email is currently available.

Push notifications for other apps are not available, and they are what the thread is about.

25. crispoe macrumors member

If we do see push notifications tomorrow, I think we will also see iChat as the demo to show off the notifications. I think it may work like blackberry messenger which is constantly running- doubtful though :(