iPad Did you buy AppleCare on new iPads?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ronanzj, Nov 26, 2013.

1. ronanzj macrumors newbie

I am wondering how many people here have AppleCare on his iPad Air or iPad rMini? it costs $99 from apple, and $93 from squaretrade( even I try to use 30% coupon).

I have applecare on my new 5s because I use the phone everyday, so I am not sure if iPad also needs extra one year warranty?

2. SaddleSC macrumors member

I am considering adding it to my Air...the compelling part to me is not the warranty extension, but the Accident Coverage. You are allowed two incidents during the two-year warranty period to pay $49 to replace/repair a broken device (including accidents that are entirely your fault).

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Did you buy AppleCare on new iPads?

I did. With each one costing almost a grand, it was cheap insurance. Plus, I'm a klutz. I'm sure to use at least one replacement in the next two years. Pretty safe bet.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, I did , too. I always buy Applecare for new Apple computers, so, to me, it makes sense to buy it as well for an iPad.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I did not. I didn't buy it for the iPad 3, the iPhone 4s, the iPhone 5s or the iPad Mini w/Retina display.

The 1-year warranty is usually good enough for me to cover any manufacturer defects. I'm always careful with my stuff and I have no fear of any catastrophe befalling them.

I did buy the Apple Care for my Mac's though and it has paid off well too.

But each person needs to determine their risk to cost ratio and decide for themselves if the added warranty is worth it or not.

6. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

I use my American Express to purchase my iPads which provides 90 days accident and theft protection and adds an additional one year to the manufacture's warranty. I figure I am way ahead of the game by never purchasing AppleCare for any of my IOS Devices over the years. I have only needed the extended warranty on one iPhone that acted up after the first year and American Express was a joy to work with.

7. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Not me. Have owned multiple Apple products and never needed it. When I think of the money I have saved . . . . .

8. Darthpnoy88 macrumors newbie

Never did and I've personally owned IPod Touch 2G, 4G, Original IPad, IPad Mini.

9. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I did and I kinda sorta regret it.
    I assumed it added 2-years of warranty like on the Macbooks but it only adds 1-year.
    Should have done my homework better.

10. superstarmc macrumors regular

No. Chances are I'll sell my iPad on eBay 11 months from now in order to get the next generation.

11. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

No I figured my iPad 1 made it this far without any damage and I traveled with it fairly extensively that I would be alright using my new Air at home.

I also don't have any kids playing around on it and if that were the case I would think Apple Care would be worthwhile.

12. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Not anymore!

Now that they raised the amount they charge for a cracked screen, I don't think it's worth it anymore for iPhone or iPads.

$99 + $79 = $178. You can probably get it fixed for less on your own. Or sell it for parts and pay the difference to get a new one. Other less serious problems could be even easier and cheaper to fix (like buttons being stuck). Flat fee repairs are also pretty reasonable even with Apple.

I am taking LifeHacker's advice that if you put away the money you were going to spend on an insurance plan/extended warranty into an envelope you would accumulate enough money to easily replace or fix the occasion item that breaks, and maybe even have money left over.

I think about what I have spent over the last few years up to this point. About $500 in AppleCares (3 iPhones, 2 iPads).

Only had to use the warranty twice and both times it was for an issue that would have been covered no matter what (defect, not physical damage... and it was within the 1 year anyway).

If I had the $600 in cash right now ($500 I spent + $100 I would have spent on the Air's AppleCare if I had continued my warranty purchases), and I broke my new iPad Air, I would have enough to replace it in cash money and have some change left over.

This is also better because AppleCare won't cover lost/stolen but your slush fund can replace your item under any circumstance (or at the least take the sting out of buying it again).

I would only buy AppleCare on something mega expensive, like my 15 Retina Pro. Given that it's just $350 and most of it is integrated (meaning repairs of the mobo, screen defects, etc. could run over $1,000+ easily and its difficult to find cheap 3rd party service) and it lasts 3 years, I still think that's a half decent value.

13. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I have never bought Apple Care on anything since buying my first iPhone/Mac in 2007. I don't plan on ever buying it, never needed it.

The main purpose of them selling it is for extra profit. The know most people will never need it and if they do, it's still cheaper to fix/replace then the money they got for Apple Care to begin with.

14. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

iPad screens cost $49.00 to repair not $79.00.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/ipad.html

Depending on the time frame you can get your money back.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5688

15. PCtoMAC1 macrumors regular

PCtoMAC1

I did. I purchased it for my iPhone 5 (they have since replaced it twice for poor battery issues), my MacBook Pro (my first Mac and I knew I would have a lot of questions) and now the iPad Mini.

To me there just seem to be way too many technical glitches with Apple products lately. My retina iPad mini has already crashed about a half dozen times.

16. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Yes. I purchase AppleCare or AppleCare + on all my devices. New iPhone 5S and the new iPad Air both have AppleCare + and the iPad Mini has it as well; when I buy the new iPad Mini with retina screen, part of the purchase will indeed include AppleCare +. The iMac that I purchased last spring also has AppleCare. My other computers did as well, but now they're all past the coverage period. I have used AppleCare, most notably on my first-generation Mac Pro, which required $1800 worth of work / replacement parts on it, all of which was covered -- never regretted having AppleCare because of that!

iPhones and iPads are more vulnerable than, say, my iMac, since the smaller devices go go out-and-about with me and are used in various places around home, etc. I want each of them to be protected "just in case." Peace of mind is worth something, too.....

17. terrywfoster macrumors regular

No, I didn't. I never buy extra warranties on electric devices.

18. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I have but I'm rethinking it for future purchases. I don't need accidental damage protection but the extra warranty has been useful. I've had an iPad 2 and iPhone 5 fail around 2-6 months after warranty expired (manufacturing defect). The iPad didn't have AC so had to pay $249+tax to replace it. The iPhone did have AC+ so I saved $169+tax for OOW replacement for that ($269 OOW - $100 AC+ = $169).

However, it's totally escaped my mind that all the credit cards I have also offer extended warranty on purchases so I've been thinking of just using that in the future instead of buying AppleCare. Granted, the credit card doesn't cover accidental damage so I'd just have to be more careful with my stuff.

19. Oui macrumors 6502

Purchased AppleCare on iPad Air and rMini through EPP for $87
    If you have access to an EPP thats the way to go.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I haven't purchased applecare on any of iPads or iPhones. I may change my mind but for now I'm content in not purchasing it.

21. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Technically you are correct but I have already had 2 items covered for accidental damage AFTER the 1st year by Amex. I simply told them it stopped working and the out of warranty repair fee is $149. I had a credit within 1 week no questions asked. If this had happened between month 3 and 12 it probably would not have worked because I still had a warranty with Apple but after Apple warranty ran out I was covered. I call that "the 9 month donut hole." Amex is still the best.

22. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

I did. Good peace of mind. I can't afford to replace them should they break...plus I have little kids, so again...back to peace of mind.

I also sell my devices to upgrade and a month or two of AppleCare+ is a huge selling point. I sold my iPhone 4S 32gb for $300...paying for my 5S upgrade. The 5 went to my wife.

Since Apple did AppleCare+, I've had it on all my devices. Never had to use it as my fault damage. I HAVE had a screen go bad after a year and gotten the phone replaced with it. However, the peace of mind has been great.

23. ZipZap macrumors 601

Use Amex which doubled the standard warranty.
    Added Squaretrade for accidental damage

24. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

I've never bought apple care and never will. It would be a waste of money. I'm careful with my ****, and I can afford an OOW replacement if I ever do need one, which will be never.

25. jplusc macrumors 6502a

I went with squaretrade. With 2 young children and not wanting to put my ipad in a bulky case, I'm banking it'll be broke atleast once.