Did you change Lions trackpad scroll direction?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by OSMac, Jul 30, 2011.

1. OSMac macrumors 65816

Lion by default brings iPad like trackpad scrolling directions.

Interesting how on the iPad it seems natural to scroll using its method but on laptops it seems reversed.

Did you revert back to the previous OSX directions ?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No, I like it the way it is, especially on trackpads.

It's a more direct interaction with the content, rather than moving a viewer about you're moving the page around. It feels more natural, in real life if I want to push a page up I push the page up, same now on my laptop.

Yes, I tried it and couldn't get through one day before changing it back.

4. cityathrt macrumors regular

Nah, I decided to keep it on natural. I own an iPod touch, so was familiar with the scrolling, and it really is more intuitive this way once I got used to it.

My wireless mouse however, took a bit longer to get used to. It's natural scrolling even with that, which was definitely not what I was used to at all.

5. harrisondavies macrumors 6502

harrisondavies

I reversed it in snow leopard with a program as i new it was coming and now it is natural.

6. ormie macrumors regular

ormie

I changed it right away but I've decided to give it another try to see if I can get used to it. What I did change was Safari - didn't like the Resume feature as I prefer to go to my chosen home page.

Cheers, Macjim.

7. tootall macrumors regular

I used natural scrolling for a while and got used to it quickly, until I had to work on excel. On large spread sheets, I ended up going always the wrong way (especially horizontally). So I went back to regular scrolling but then switching Apps or navigating between widows in Safari did not make any sense anymore.

I am back to natural scrolling, hoping that it will sink in in excel...

8. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I kinda like natural scrolling on my laptop.

I was determined to give it a week before I switched it back. And after a couple of days it started to feel normal.

9. Bukey macrumors newbie

It was weird for a few hours... Then it felt perfectly natural.

I still use Windows a lot for work, and for a day or two when I'd switch between Windows and Lion, it would take a few minutes to switch between scrolling directions (much like the location of @ and " on UK keyboards between Macs and PCs). Now, however I can switch effortlessly without thinking about it.

For those that find it a bit awkward I'd suggest sticking with it - it's only because you're used to the other way at the moment. It does feel more natural now I'm used to scrolling the way Lion does.

It reminds me of the experiments with glasses that flip what you see upside down....

10. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Heck no. I like the new scrolling. Took all of a day to get used to it. Now anything else feels awkward.

11. blkonblk17 macrumors 6502

What ^ said... x2

12. mfr1340 macrumors regular

13. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

14. Tootles macrumors member

Yes I did. I had been adapting to the new way but, reverted after learning that I could do so. The 2-finger method of getting the contextual menu is already too much for me so, I figured I might as well minimize the number of new methods, to keep my frustration down. If Apple brings back the one-finger method of getting the contextual menu, I'll give natural scrolling another go.

15. akm3 macrumors 68020

Nope, fighting the future ultimately is more of a pain than not. I adjusted immediately though and I won't say I PREFER it, but it certainly don't dislike it.

16. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Changing back to the old style scrolling was one of the first things I did after installing Lon

17. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I changed the setting back. I can see the logic of the change, but I also have years of muscle memory to get over. It didn't seem worth it to me.

18. kain125 macrumors member

Im enjoying the natural scrolling very much. i don't think I'm going to change it to the regular way

19. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

Natural scrolling feels a little weird on the MBA (even though it seems like 2nd nature on the iPad). Probably because I've been using opposite mouse motions for years).

Nevertheless, I'm trying to leave it turned on for the time being, see if I get used to it.

20. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

I like it a lot on my air. Don't like it using the magic mouse though.

21. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I used BetterTouchTool to reverse scrolling on Snow Leopard once Lion went GM so I gave myself sometime to get used to it. What I found was that if the scrollbars were visible I had a hard time getting my brain rewired. It took me about 3 days to get used to it and even then I had to move the scrollbars off the screen.

Once in Lion I changed the scroll bars to only show when scrolling and it makes perfect sense. Now OS X and my iPhone both scroll the same way. Definitely more consistent.

22. eckthroi macrumors regular

I have just bought my first mac so I am grateful that I don't have to switch from anything I am familiar with. The trackpad is completely new to me and so the "natural" scrolling is easy to learn. I must say though- this computer and OS rocks!

23. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Off Topic: Just out of curiosity, why did you decide to buy a Mac?

24. Littleman macrumors regular

Littleman

Went straight back to SL scrolling but gave it more thought and decided to give it a go as it obviously the way it's going to be in the future. Just go with it. Not convinced yet tbh. but it is getting more instinctive every day. Will use the scrolling changer software in my SL MacBook..... The left / right scrolling though, now that I might struggle with.

25. old-wiz macrumors G3

Changing it back was about the first thing I did.