Did you get this impression in line too?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kadin, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

2. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Not sure how others feel , but my line in best buy, people were buying for themselves. Honestly, I do not ink that people did not see much of the demand for it while in the line. It's day 2 at showed how much you can get for one, and today's crowds may be buying for resale. But as more of them pile up on craigslist, cheaper they will get until they match retail prices...

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

A lot of people in my line were only buying one then decided to buy two to sell one, but at last minute when they saw how limited the stock actually especially in the 64GB Black ATT they only bought one. I got the last 64GB ATT so thank god! :D

4. nostaws macrumors 6502

nostaws

In my Best Buy line in Phoenix, Az, everyone that I spoke to (about five people in front, and five people behind) were buying them for themselves/personal use. There was only one sketchy guy that looked like he might sell it on ebay.

As a side note. Best Buy had 40 units, but said they expected UPS to arrive that afternoon with another shipment, but I was long gone with mine to see how that ended up.

5. Rodvette macrumors regular

One of the guys in line with me was buying one for himself and one to turn around and sell

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

unless you already have clients overseas looking to buy ... IMO too risky to count on CL or Ebay for turning a worthwhile profit.

In a month these things will be available everywhere. :cool:

7. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Here's the impression I got in line:

EVERYONE there was using their iPhone or iPad while waiting, and it put a major strain on the ATT system. It was slow going browsing the Web while in line.

Other than that, no complaints. I really don't care why people bought their iPads. That's their business, not mine.

8. tsekh macrumors member

True. I was in line in Chicago Michigan Ave store and I have full bar AT&T reception, but the Internet speed was extremely slow and stopped working a few times.

9. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

I was #3 in a line of ~180 at a Best Buy.
    Really only spoke to the first 15 people in line and 11 out of 15 had an original iPad and were upgrading. No talk of reselling, just upgrading and passing the original over to another family member. The BB was 1 per customer.

10. richard371 macrumors 68000

At the store in SF there where about 50 older chinese folks in the front of the line that I know are doing this. It was pretty obvious to everyone lol.

11. malaclypse macrumors member

I was far back in line at the Walnut Creek, CA, Apple store, and saw many, many people walking away with several iPads, some with as many as 6. it seemed like they recruited friends or just random people to stand in line with them to get around the 2-iPad limit. it made me mad (and a few others; I saw one woman complain to the manager) because they ran out of ALL AT&T models before I could purchase one. I waited in line 3 hours (had to work til 3pm) just to buy a Wifi model that I'm probably going to return in 2 weeks!

12. ffonsok macrumors member

All you clowns who bought one in stores just to return it when your online order comes in, drink bleach and die.

13. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

that's a lot of hate there.

better maybe to just say DIAF?

14. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

I'm gonna take a few friends with me and buy a ******** of ipad3s and sell them for a profit when they come out. easy money son!

15. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

So, pretty much the usual deal every time more than 10 iPhone users are in the same general area? ;)

16. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Funny.

Truth is, the network did a pretty good job considering the fact that there were easily 3 - 400 people using the network from the same location at the same time.

17. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Same thing happened in Irvine, CA. The first dozen or so walking back out past the long line had anywhere from 2-8 in their bags. A$$hats.

18. pmcdn macrumors regular

One shouldn't question those buying to re-sell for much higher prices on Craigslist. One should question those WILLING to pay those absurd prices on Craigslist when they can just wait a bit and get one for face value.

19. pmcdn macrumors regular

One shouldn't question those buying iPads to sell for way higher prices on Craigs/Ebay. One should question those WILLING to pay those absurd prices when they can just wait a bit and buy an new one for face value.

20. slopokdave macrumors member

Sprint 4g was especially speedy. ;)

21. SFOT macrumors newbie

I was in the SF line and after reading the article it all makes sense to me now. I was a bit surprised by the demographics of the front of the line. I was back a 100 people or so and the line was much more diverse as I would expect a line in SF to be. Most people were buying for themselves or a friend. A guy I was standing in line with said he thought many of the people in the front were buying to resell at a higher price. Guess he was right. That puts a bad taste in my mouth only because the line was huge and by the time I got in the store (about 6pm) the 16's were sold out and the 32's were going fast. I know a lot of people who waited a long time went home empty handed.

22. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

This

23. Pared macrumors 65816

I would love to go to Sprint but they don't have an iPhone.

If I did, there would then be 2 people on 4G! :D

24. slopokdave macrumors member

Haha very nice. Well I have an evo and ipad2. The combo is nice so far.