Did you guys get apple care?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Laughingman13, May 30, 2010.

1. Laughingman13 macrumors member

Was it worth the investment seeing as they only cover you for three years?

2. MikhailT macrumors 601

Three years is the standard and with Apple it's a special kind of gold standard because their AppleCare is usually superb with excellent customer service. So yes, get it. You can wait till the end of the year, but I wouldn't recommend it because I have known some people forgetting to do it.

3. Laughingman13 thread starter macrumors member

I have the student discount/rebate because I am an upcoming college student.

I can still use my student benefits to get applecare at anytime during the year right?

4. Ateace3 macrumors member

i actually bought mine through ebay back in feb. it was a brand new 15 inch anti glare and it came with 3 year apple care. 2 months after i bought it the hard drive failed (or was failing). Luckily, apple care covered the 250 dollar repair. I definitely think its worth it.

5. MortalDays macrumors regular

Yes. That's what i am doing too... :)

6. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Applecare is a good invest, just go for it. And if you're short of cash, you have 1 long year to get it...

7. Mirabella macrumors regular

Let's see ... covered by Applecare, after the first year of warranty, with my last MacBook Pro:

• screen replacement
    • hard drive replacement
    • logic board replacement
    • 2 power cable replacements
    • 2 battery replacements

Yup, I think it was worth the investment. :)

8. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

get it. plain and simple. it will pay for itself if you use it even once in 3 years for an actual repair.

9. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I've been saved by AppleCare several times saving me thousands of dollars in repairs...I wouldn't buy an Apple laptop without it....

10. Jarcrew macrumors 6502

Jarcrew

Got it free with education purchase for my new MacBook Pro, but I'd have bought it anyway. Bought it for my last MacBook and had the fan replaced, gratis, three years after I purchased it, as well as a new topcase and Christ knows what else. The service is fantastic.

11. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

Its definitely worth it. Apple has replaced my MBP screen twice in two weeks because i had apple care. The Apple Store geniuses told me that without apple care, the only way to replace the screen for free was if it suffered a mechanical failure.

In the end it cost me $183 and paid for two Screen Replacements costing well over $1,200 for parts and labor.

12. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

AppleCare just covered the replacement of a logic board on my iMac. I only have a few months left on the warranty. I just ordered AppleCare for my MBP. I would get it.

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...its cheap on an expensive computer and well worth the piece of mind it gives you... I had an extended warranty on my last Dell that was also well worth the cost of the warranty... everything is made so cheaply these days it will fail sooner or later...

14. Deeya macrumors member

I usually don't purchase it because up until this computer, I never checked into finding it for a cheaper price.

It's ~$130 on eBay, well worth it at that price.

15. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

definitely worth the purchase. you wouldn't want something you couldn't prevent from happening to actually happen and you get stuck witha $600 expense.

16. JosephBergdoll macrumors 6502

I didn't get it because it doesn't cover accidental damage.

17. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

this is true. but i think its best to get apple care so you primarily just need to be extra careful when handling ur mbp. and as for the rest of it, if ur mbp goes crazy without you doing anything, then its a free fix! (capt. obvious i know :rolleyes:) but yeah! lol

18. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Precisely!

I _always_ buy it.

19. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

Get it! Apple Care is always disappointing. I get AppleCare on all my Apple product.

20. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

nein

i work on all my hardware myself anyway, it interests me and saves me money so its all good...plus i trust myself over some low wage lackey :D

they sell it for a reason, it makes them money

21. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Owned:

1 Black Macbook
    1 2007 MBP 15"
    1 2008 iMac
    1 2008 Mac Pro
    1 13" mid 2009 MBP
    1 15" mid 2009 MBP

Never purchased Apple care for any of them and have never needed it on any of them to this day. Since 1993 when I bought my very first desktop, I have never had a computer fail on me, ever! I even started out on Packard Bell computers and moved up to HPs. It wasn't till 2007 when I owned my first Mac.

22. fungus macrumors regular

fungus

Agreed! AppleCare hasn't ever not failed to disappoint me as well ;)

23. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Get it when you buy your MBP because you can't get the student pricing on Applecare after. You only get the discounted price on Applecare when you buy it with your computer.

24. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Not correct. In the US anyway. You may purchase the student discounted Applecare at any point during your warranty.