Did you guys purchase Apple Care for the Iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dammit Cubs, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I know its a no-brainer and with my 100 dollar credit, I want to use it wisely. I dunno if I should buy it now or wait until when my warranty is almost up.

I dropped my iphone today, luckily it landed on my foot before hitting the cement. Luckily, I only have some corner scratches. I hate scratches on the metal.

2. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I think the general consensus is to wait as long as possible to extend your total coverage and get the most time for the money.

3. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

70 bux for 1 extra year? wtf is apple thinking?

4. thestaton macrumors 6502

this is pure speculation from some smuck at an AT&T store. when I bought mine I was quizzing him about insurance. he was telling me that AT&T is actively working with apple and who ever else that is involved so that they can offer the same warranty coverage for the iPhone that they offer for all there phones.

so that if you lose it, gets stolen, or you drop it in the pool it's 50 dollars for a new one.

I've got my fingers crossed this is true :)

5. hockeymonkey83 macrumors member

hockeymonkey83

i would rather pay apple seventy bucks for the total of 2 year warranty, have you ever tried to get a new phone with the phone companies insurance, its a pain, plus $70 is better than $3.99 a month for 24 months plus $50 when it breaks

6. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

I agree, many people don't count that $3.99 a month really adds up and the $50 deductible is ridiculous after paying so much a month.

I am going to add the extra year eventually when I have the time.

7. VaMac macrumors member

just to make sure, i have a year one the IPhone before I need to get the Apple Care. Right?

8. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

No, and I'm not going to because it doesn't cover accidental damage.

9. snook911 macrumors 6502a

Ya but the thing is the apple care is only going to extend your manufactures
    warrenty. I need something that covers accidental damage. Sooner or later (hopefully later) something is going to happen to break the phone.:( I really hope At&t comes out with that insurance.:D

10. alljunks macrumors regular

can anyone confirm if apple care covers battery replacement??

11. jlanuez macrumors 6502

Yes

Yes, for 2 years.

12. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I'm not going to get it until the last week or so before the 1 year that comes with the phone is about to expire.

As someone else mentioned, it doesn't cover accidental damage... and the only thing I can see myself doing is dropping it and cracking the screen.

13. Angelo921 macrumors 6502

Why would I pay $70 a year when I can pay State Farm $33 a year and have coverage including damage, theft or loss with no deductible, hec they even cover my sales tax (total of $543).

14. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

Att will never and has never covered accidental damages, I have paid more than once for broken phones because they don't nor does T-Mobile, Verizon, (I don't know about Sprint/Nextel)

Att also stopped insuring smart phones early this year so when I had my blackberry I was not covered under insurance even though I was still paying, apparently they "forgot" to take it off without telling me. So if a blackberry isnt covered than a really-smart phone like the iPhone will most definitely not be covered by anything that has to do with Att.

15. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

^What he said!!!

Seriously, people need to realize that APP is the biggest waste of money at least for the iPhone.

My state farm plan is $30/yr for $500 in coverage, $0 deductable, covers accidental damage, lost, stolen, anything!

All this for $2.50 per month! Thats half as cheap as any ATT plan for other phones and WAY cheaper than APP and covers more!

16. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Well that doesn't make any sense as the coverage is from the date of purchase of the iPhone, not the purchase of the AppleCare.

17. alljunks macrumors regular

its alot easier if you have apple care and return and exchange with apple store...

18. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

Except for the fact you will be paying more than 2 years worth from state farm for 1 year of service with no accidential coverage. The APP only extends the warrenty for 1 additional year (2 years from DOP)....what about after 2 years? Accidential coverage is the kicker for me. If I drop my phone in a lake after a few too many brewskies while boating, im fine with state farm. With APP im screwed.

And with any service from apple, they have to send it out for servicing unless you are within the 14 day period where they will exchange it. So the time servicing, is not going to take any less time than to make a call to state farm and file a claim.

You file a claim, go buy a new phone yourself, and they mail you a check...whats hard about that?

19. overcast macrumors 6502a

Homeowners is definitely where it's at, Applecare is just not worth it. Especially considering you are just rebuying the first years worth. I rolled my iPhone into my home theater insurance. Someone steals it or I throw it out the window, I get a check for a new phone and case closed.

20. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I think his point is why buy it when in the first year you are covered and if you accidently break it in that first year, you wasted the extra apple care coverage because they don't cover accidental damage.

However I think you would be able to transfer it to a new phone, but not 100% sure.

21. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

Wasted apple care coverage?

Everyone has apple care on their mac, iPhone, anything apple for the first year, including all phone support.

All the applecare does is extend this service for XX years....no more/no less features. It doesnt matter when you buy it, if you bought the APP 1 day after you bought the phone, that doesnt mean you only have 1 year and 1 day coverage...you still have 2 years.

You just have to buy the APP anytime before your 1 year is up.

22. mistercoffee2 macrumors member

AT&T does cover accidental damage.

Had my V3 replaced a few weeks ago for the $50. Got water in the display during a rain storm. Now I got the iPhone and a new V3 paper weight.

23. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

I'm not even going to consider it until the end of the 1st year.

24. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I went w/ square trade for a 3 year warranty w/ accidental damage. At the time it was $150 w/ $50 deductible. Now with the price drop it may closer to $100 for the 3 years.

25. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

Apple Care is not an insurance policy, and third party insurance is not a warranty.

Some things you should know...

State Farm, like some other insurance companies, is notorious for flatly denying claims. They coach their claims representatives on how to reject claims and they show that statistically 40 percent of denied claims are not appealed by the insured. They bank on this. They tried to bank on this when they denied my insurance claims for a spinal injury I suffered from a two-story deck that collapsed. Their coverage, they stated, would cap off at $2000 despite the homeowner possessing $300,000 of liability insurance. Suffice it to say I got a lawyer and fought with them for six months eventually settling out of court. State Farm tried to claim my injury was the result of a pre-existing condition... this is one of many tactics that State Farm is notorious for using to do what they do best: Deny claims.

The propensity for Apple to deny a claim on Apple Care is much less likely than a third party for several reasons. Apple has brand integrity to worry about... It's their product and if they don't uphold their end of the deal they can suffer from negative PR. If State Farm denies a claim, neither Apple nor State Farm will be impacted much by it... depending on the magnitude and circumstances of the claim.

Inherent in Apple Care is also a service level agreement that requires them to involve knowledgeable resources on their end. A third party insurer might not be necessarily required to send you to the most qualified vendor or expert to repair whatever it is that you're repairing, unless you have paid for special coverages.

Granted, in the case of a qualified scenario for replacement you'll save more money through a third party insurer... but that depends on what they consider a qualified scenario for replacement. Apple sometimes will decide right away that if it looks like a repair is going to be lengthy and expensive, they'll just cut to the chase and replace the item. But a third party insurer again has no brand integrity at stake with regard to the operational capacity of the product... they can pay for a half-ass repair and consider the claim settled.

Furthermore, Apple Care provides types and levels of technical support that a third-party insurer has no responsibility toward. If your problem is not of a replacement nature, and is more a technical issue that might be software related and requires involved technical support, an insurance company isn't going to be much help to you.

It's in Apple's best interest not to screw its customers, and that is more and more evident in this day and age of blogging... word travels very fast on the internet when Apple doesn't do something right.

If you go with a reputable third party insurer you can get decent protection very inexpensively... but State Farm is one that I would be very wary of.

Basically, insurance and Apple Care are two different things. One insures the product against loss, the other provides extended service coverage.... Apple Care is basically an extended warranty. It's up to you to decide whether or not the extended warranty is worth it... On complicated technological products it often is, because the cost of repairs otherwise can be high.

Sometimes extended service coverage is a ripoff... but if even one repair on an iPhone costs you upward of $70, the likelihood is that it will be a good investment. Judging from the glitches we've seen arising in just the past three months it's very likely that Apple Care will pay off on the iPhone.