Did you have to return your Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nick9191, May 30, 2008.

?

Did you have to return your Mac

1. Yes

27 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. No

73 vote(s)
    67.0%
  3. One time I did but then another time/most times I didn't.

9 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. nick9191 macrumors 68040

When you bought a Mac did was it working fine or did you have to return it.

2. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

still works well, although I have to get the lcd replaced because of a faint red line only evident on dark images, that's not the computers fault though, it's mine from keeping it in my bag.

3. Mikey- macrumors regular

Yes, I accidentally deleted some files in my finder that I thought I didn't need and then my Mac wouldn't boot

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I've been a Mac user for over 20 years and have never once had a problem under warranty, let alone needed to return a machine.

I've also been supporting Macs at my various places of work for most of that time and it's been the same story there.

The only Mac that's ever completely died on me was an old PM8200 whose logic board failed - but it was getting on for 5 years old and had been largely retired by that point, so wasn't a biggie.

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I returned my MacBook three times because the palm rests were changing from white to a weird brown colour.

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

well that was silly wasnt it? so they let you return your Mac for doing that? what did they do to it? if you messed up your system a simple reinstall should fix it.

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I have never had to return a mac.

But things have broken (usually outside the warranty period) and I've had to fix them. I've had a power supply go out, a broken keyboard, and a few other niggling things. Probably $500 in repairs or so over more than 20 years. I've never purchased AppleCare and I've saved the cost of it several times over.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I've never returned any of the 13-14 Macs I have owned over the last 15 years nor had anything fail on one during the 1st year. Of course I usually end up upgrading just about every component before the 3 years is up:D. Also I have never purchased an extended warranty only ever had the standard 1 year.

I have had hard drives fail but that has always been long after any warranty period has expired.

The only parts I have replaced due to defect before 3 years are the CD/DVD drives in more recent models. When CD drives ran $300-400 they lasted but when the CD DVD drives were under $70 they just became complete garbage. Since my G4 Powermac and iBook bought in 2001 I have never had DVD drive or Super drive last over 1 1/2 years nor any aftermarket replacements. This also holds true for CD/DVD drives in PC's I have owned and in friends Mac's and PC's.

9. albusseverus macrumors 6502a

albusseverus

I wish I could return my Al iMac 20"

I've got a 20" iMac with the faded screen - colour changes from top to bottom of the screen.

Apple won't exchange it. That's how the screens are - they say.

But myself and a million others who bought a 20" Al iMac would change the screen if Apple would do it.

Has anyone exchanged for a 24"? & what was the changeover?

10. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

My total of Mac's is 7 and none needed to be returned .. :)

11. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Mac Pro...no problems.

MacBook...returned next day because left arrow key was not working. Got a new one on the spot!

-Kevin

12. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Out of the five Macs, one Cinema Display, five iPods, and three AirPort routers I've purchased over the years, I've only had one warranty problem concerning a PowerBook screen. Every other Apple product I've owned has been rock-solid.

13. jacksam101 macrumors member

Did you have to return your Mac - Probably!

I probably should return my refurb 20" iMac as the superdrive has given up and just spits out disks - after one week of ownership
    (Seems to be a known issue with the mashita superdrives judging by these forums)

However - the screen is perfect and has a bigger than ordered HD installed - also have it set up just right for me, so am happy to use an external DVD burner which I already had.

But yes I probably should return it

14. Queso macrumors G4

I've had seven Macs over the years. My first iMac G3 had a faulty screen so went back the first day I had it, and my iMac G5 was replaced by Apple under AppleCare after two years of use, once again due to a faulty screen.

No problems with the others.

15. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

When I got my 15" PowerBook G4, it needed an LCD display replacement due to "white spots". It was an issue with the first batch of these PowerBooks.

16. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

That's the same issue I had with my first PowerBook. I haven't had a problem other than that with any other Apple product.

17. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

My first Mac, the first Intel CD Mac mini, was bad and completely died within 24 hours of delivery. For my own peace of mind, I returned it for a full refund and started over.

Over 12 Macs later, no returns (some repairs, I guess that's to be expected).

18. nick9191 thread starter macrumors 68040

Well this isn't as bad as I expected.

I've bought 2 iPods and a Macbook, all perfect, all still working. However I do intend on opening up my macbook and reapplying the thermal paste, as its hitting 90+ on 100% load.

19. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

I returned my Aluminum 20" iMac three weeks into using it after four dead pixels showed up without an invitation. They swapped it for a new one and it's been perfect.

20. jonswan macrumors regular

IBook G4 - fine

Macbook C2D - replacement battery (after 4 months) + mended ethernet socket (after 18 months)

MBP - fine

iMac Alu 20 inch - fine

MBA - fine

21. timothevs macrumors 6502

timothevs

Yep had to return my MBP back in Jan '07 coz the latch hooks came loose within a day. I am gonna wait till they introduce a magnetic latch for the MBP. Alas it has turned out to be a long long wait indeed.

22. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I bought 3 iMac and 1 MacBook in the past 1.5 years. I had to return one of the iMac's (DOA) and the MacBook (wireless issues). The 2 other iMac have been fine. I have been having issues with the screen on one of the iMacs recently (a dark strip down the centre). So ... out of 4 Mac I have had problems with 3 of them. That said, the replacements iMac I received is working fine and so is the MacBook.

Cheers.

23. DaveF macrumors 6502a

2007 MBP had a logic board problem immediately after purchase. I had to send it out to AppleCare for repair. It was gone about five days.

About six months after purchase, the battery failed and AppleCare shipped me a new one.

Since then, no real problems except my system stopped sleeping after 10.5.2.

All that said, I see no reason I wouldn't buy a Mac again. Computers sometimes have problems and AppleCare has taken care of things easily and quickly.

24. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Both of mine have worked great from the start.