Did you insure your MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by demonsavatar, Jul 21, 2010.

1. demonsavatar macrumors regular

I checked with my State Farm agent today and they said for $2000 worth of Personal Article Insurance it would be $45 for 1 year with $0 deductible. They pay the full purchase price, no depreciation.

Covers accidental damage and theft. Don't need to have any other type of insurance with State farm either.

Sounds like a deal to me. If I drop that shiny new sucker and hear a big crack, I get a new one with $0 deductible.

Especially useful since Applecare doesn't "officially" have accidental damage protection.

2. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

Insurance

That's exactly what I did, State Farm.

3. DJohm macrumors member

Good to know, I didn't even think of that. Is that $45/month or one time fee? I'll check with my local agent anyways.

4. demonsavatar thread starter macrumors regular

Updated the original post. To clarify its $45 for 1 year.

5. ihonda macrumors 68000

you have to have a policy with them in place before they will offer a personal article policy.

6. demonsavatar thread starter macrumors regular

Eh? When I asked them if the rate would change if I cancel my renter's insurance, they said no.

7. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

If you rent get renters insurance and put the MPB on as a specified article.

8. demonsavatar thread starter macrumors regular

Theres a $500 deductible on a normal policy. Thats why you get personal article insurance. $0 deductible. AND if you make a claim, your home insurance rate won't increase because it is NOT considered a claim on home owners insurance. Every single home owners/renters insurance company will ask if you have made a previous claim before you get another policy.

9. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

I think I paid about $150 AUD for mine to be covered for 2 years, but it is covered for theft, damage, loss and most general stupidity situations.

Only thing it isn't covered for is... Feral animals.

My cats can eat it, pee on it whatever, my friends dogs and cats can do whatever, but if a feral bunny pees on it, I am screwed.

10. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

ive got home insurance and my stuff is covered even when im not at home, for example if it gets stolen at a coffee shop or whatever

11. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

yep, this is the way to go. I got my MBP, my wife's MB, 2 cameras, engagement ring, etc listed under our PA insurance with statefarm.

it's dirt cheap and NO deduct - covers theft, damage, the whole shot. Thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of stuff insured for maybe $200 for the whole year. AND it covers theft and damage OVERSEAS - which is why I bought it.

12. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

Good information, I will have to check into that.

13. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I've never insured one of my Macs, but now it's sounding like a good idea.

14. StvPtrsn macrumors newbie

I have a PA policy also though State Farm and have no other policies with them.

Interesting note, they'll insure a MB and iPhone but won't insure an iPad. Got a letter from corporate saying they were dropping my ipad from the policy due to it not being a covered device type or something like that.

Steve

15. Beudeker macrumors newbie

I have, but with an insurance company. Not only my MBP is insured, all my belongings. The Protection Plan from Apple was not worth the money in my opinion.

16. elleana macrumors regular

Waitaminute. If we can get comprehensive insurance (incuding stupidity, accidents and theft) at $90 for two years, why on earth are we paying so much more for APP?

17. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

because if your screen goes out, or something breaks (that is NOT your fault) on your mac - you get it fixed with Apple Care. However PA won't help you in that situation.

If you get your computer stolen, or you simply drop it - PA will cover it, but not apple care

18. demonsavatar thread starter macrumors regular

Like Mac-key said, manufacturer defects are not covered under a Personal Articles (PA) policy.

With Lenovo I used to buy their extended warranty + accidental damage protection, which I thought was a good deal together. Since apple does not provide any accidental damage, the PA policy is great. Also this covers theft, which accidental damage plans from the manufacturer usually do NOT cover.

From now on I will just get PA policies instead of paying for accidental damage policies from the manufacturer since theft is high on the list of things that go wrong...

19. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

Sounds like a good deal. Going to check it out when I get my MBP

20. demonsavatar thread starter macrumors regular

Lol just read this. I guess you aren't covered against Dingos either.

21. Harmless Abuse macrumors regular

I also have State Farm. I could not own once things unless they offered good insurance because I drop things constantly.

22. elleana macrumors regular

Ouch. Any relation to your screen name? :cool:

23. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

Sadly no, but if a dingo gets near my MBP, I have more to worry about than my insurance.

24. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I am not insured as of now, but my parents plan to insure both my-and my brother's 13" 2010 MBP's. I think they were going to do something with a $500 deductible. I will have them look into this policy that you put in the first post. IMHO, it would be better to pay $45 a year with no deductible.

25. chrisvee macrumors regular

Wow, that sounds like some good coverage! If only it was available in my area.. :(