Did you jailbreak your iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by osx11, Mar 24, 2012.

?

Is your iPad jailbroken?

1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. No

167 vote(s)
    83.1%
  1. osx11 macrumors 6502a

2. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

As soon as its released for the new iPad I will definitely jailbreak it!

3. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

Ditto. Why not? I miss SBSettings and FaceTime over LTE should work.

4. manticore999 macrumors member

I've had an Ipad since v1. Never jailbroke Ny of them. Never understood the reaso why I would want to.

5. arterio macrumors member

Totally going to. I miss SBSettings, Lockinfo, and Multifl0w. Those are the only reason I jailbreak on my iPhone.

6. GoodToGo macrumors newbie

I jailbroke my iphone and vowed never to do it again. Don't get me wrong, the dev community is awesome but the fact that apple can lock up your device scared the crap outta me. No jailbreak this time for me!

7. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

Your iPad is not being used to its full potential then.

Just sayin'......

8. arterio macrumors member

Lock up your device? Where'd you hear this nonsense from? There is nothing illegal about jailbreaking. It won't "brick" your device, and if it doesn't work or you don't like it you can just restore using iTunes. I've had an iPhone 3G and now an iPhone 4 and both have been jailbroken. Never once have I had a problem a simple restore wouldn't fix, and I certainly have never had my device "locked" by Apple.

9. Holoshed macrumors regular

Yeah someone told you wrong. I mean apple can refuse to help you if you bring your phone in jailbroken but you can simply reload the iOS software and they never know. Jailbreaking is upheld as legal and if apple started locking devices there would be a big back lash. This has just never happened. The only lock is either by carrier or the one you "slide your finger" to fix ;)

10. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Jailbreaking feels like tainting to me, so I won't be doing it. I used to do it in the original iPhone days when I was on T-Mobile, but stopped when the 3G came out. Even then I'd do a manual jailbreak so that Cydia/Installer (whatever it was at the time) wouldn't be installed.

11. Advil macrumors 6502a

12. WalledMacGarden macrumors regular

iPhone yes, iPad never had a reason until now....color controls! just found out you can get full control of color settings.

If/When Apple adds advanced color controls I will revert back, but now I can't wait to jailbreak and get my color set just perfect.:D

13. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I've had all of the iPhones and each of the iPads. I've held on to a couple of the iPhones (original and 3G) for nostalgia sake...and I've still got an iPad 1 and a pair of iPad 2s...I just picked up the latest iPad on release day

I've never opted to jailbreak...but I'm very curious

I think I'll JB my iPad 1 to give it a try...what is the best way to learn the process? Are there sites or software to stay away from? Is there a single option that bests all others? When googled, there are slightly over 25 million hits:)

I suppose the 'hacking' section of this form is a good place to start, eh?

Again, just curious and this thread got me thinking about it again. Mu wife is more than happy with her ipad2---I've passed my iPad 2 down to my son--so the original iPad (which I still really love the design--and I'll never get rid of) is ready for the experiment I suppose

Any suggestions on a good place to start via links?

Thanks...I'm not against searching but again....the amount of information on this subject is- not overwhelming

Jer

14. arterio macrumors member

redmondpie has some great tutorials including links to software and firmware files.

15. GoodToGo macrumors newbie

I was talking about the iPhone 1st gen. Back then, jailbreaking was illegal. Apple could lock up your device if you tried to update to a new software version. Maybe that is not the case now but clearly it is something not preferred by Apple and so I would be a bit wary of it.

16. arterio macrumors member

It's not preferred by Apple because they have no control over the apps at that point. So if Cydia charges $4 for an app Apple never sees any of that. There are so many myths and lies about how jailbreaking is bad. It'll slow down your device, make it unstable and crash all the time, and make you vulnerable to malware and security risks. This is all a load of crap, spread by Apple probably. Jailbreaking never was illegal either. Apple claimed it would void the warranty but that was dismissed in court a few years back now. Around the time the 3G came out.

They say they prefer customers not do it simply for the fact that they want to control the user experience. Apple approved hardware and software. Just like on the Mac. And I get this, I really do. It gives all your users a guaranteed experience. The problem is, that experience is lacking in a lot of ways. Notification Center in iOS5... that was initially developed as a jailbreak tweak over a year earlier. Apple even hired the developer to build it into their new iOS. The ability to create a wifi hotspot on your device, another jailbreak tweak called MyWi. Except this time they just ripped it off. Though not a jailbreak tweak, the volume button used as a camera shutter, originally built into Camera+. They were told to remove that function from their app by Apple lawyers because it violated their new iOS5 EULA. Although the developers of Camera+ came up with the idea behind it, Apple takes the credit for it.

There is an article out there talking about the myths and rumors around Jailbreaking. They found that the apps and tweaks in the Cydia store were more stable and secure than the app store apps. Violated your privacy less, and we're overall of equal or greater quality than the apps in the AppStore.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, all I'm saying is don't believe everything you hear or read. Look into it yourself. There are a lot of advantages to Jailbreaking. It's not as scary or dangerous as its made out to be, and with the jailbreak tools released recently it's easier than ever to do it.

17. mcsenerd macrumors regular

Yeah, you should add an option that states, "I will as soon as one's available!"

You can count me in that camp...anxiously awaiting its arrival...

18. dgstan macrumors 6502a

19. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I will, even if I don't need to... just for fun. I can't leave any of my devices unhacked in some way. I voided the MBP's warranty with an Optibay the day after I got it, the iPhone is now JB'ed, the Kindle Fire is rooted with market, the only thing that's not hacked is the Kindle... I don't think you can really do anything with it...

20. manticore999 macrumors member

What in the world could I possibly be missing? I like to use my computers. Not spen hours needlessly tweaking them!

21. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

A huge range of emulators and tweaks, at one point there was a fully functional flash player port, real full backgrounding, even a working console it's really just what the dev community comes up with because anything is possible.

22. kaielement macrumors 65816

Apple can tell if you have jailbroken your iPhone or iPad, and it does void your warranty. That being said it's still not illegal to do it and no Apple can and will never lock up your phone or pad just saying. If you have the know how to jailbreak then I am sure you would have the know how to fix if anything goes wrong.

23. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

My main reason to Jailbreak is iFile. It's the missing link to iOS.

----------

IMO the Best Jail Break was Jailbreakme.com. I hope its like that for the new Jailbreak.

24. SweetDove macrumors regular

My current iPad 1gen is jail broken and has been since I got my hands on it, and my new ipad 3 gen will be too once I'm able. I enjoy the ability to do as I like with my devices, and it's nice to have that option if I want (plus try before you buy is always nice too, even if no one will admit it). Honestly, it's really really stupidly easy to do. I use I clarified.com for tutorials since its pretty step by step. If you have a spare ithing then it'd be worth it to give it a shot!

-Dove