Did You Pass on the iPhone 4 and keep your 3G/S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlindMellon, Apr 11, 2011.

?

Did You Pass on the iPhone 4 and keep your 3G/S?

1. Kept my 3G/S, waiting for the next iPhone

73 vote(s)
    59.8%
  2. Went iPhone 4 or Android

49 vote(s)
    40.2%
  1. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

i read where a lot of people have kept their 3g/s and didn't get an iphone 4 for various reasons.

care to share?

2. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

As my original iPhone from 2007 was/is still functioning, I decided not to upgrade to any of the subsequent iPhone upgraded models when they became available. My wife and kids upgraded their iPhones. However, I am anxiously awaiting the next version of the said. It's time to finally upgrade whenever the next iPhone is released.

3. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Yup I intend to keep my iPhone4 for a long time as well. :D

4. SharepointGuy macrumors member

SharepointGuy

Initially when the iPhone 4 first came out, i could upgrade at the early upgrade price, but I chose to stick with my 3Gs. Now I am eligable to upgrade to the iPhone 4 at the full discounted price but I am holding off until the iPhone 5 to use my upgrade.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

OP - while iPhone 4 is a sexy phone, and though I have long been eligible for upgrade, I am happy being the "off year" upgrade. I eagerly await the iPhone 5. I figure 2 years is plenty of time for significant advancement in technology to warrant upgrade from my 3GS.

6. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I didn't see that big of a life changer between the 4 and the 3GS. I will be getting the next one, however. I've been playing around with the idea of going Android but recently I decided that I'll just wait for the next iPhone because I know I won't be happy with anything else.

7. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

Upgrade at every major case redesign. Seems to work well

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Key word: intend ;)

9. tlbwriter macrumors regular

This. I didn't need to upgrade, I was still perfectly happy with my 3Gs, and there were issues with the 4 that concerned me.

10. fluffer macrumors member

I got my 3G S on launch day on a 24 month contract. I'm eagerly waiting for 5th gen iPhone to replace it, looking forward to a decent camera, there was just no excuse for no flash. If iPhone 5 is delayed, the Samsung Galaxy S2 is looking very tempting but like Kyotoma, would probably regret it!

On an aside, O2 UK have just started advertising a scheme for smartphone users to early upgrade after 12 months (if they stay with them) to keep up with the latest model and they'll offer money back on current pnone. I think it's obviously pitched at iPhone users, as upto this year, it's been an annual ritual. Lets see on 6th June whether that's gonna keep on!

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Kept my 3GS. I go on an every other year upgrade. My iPhone cycle went like this: iPhone [original] --> iPhone 3GS. Skipped the 3G and the 4 while waiting for the 5.

12. astroot macrumors regular

I intended to get the iPhone 4 on launch to replace my 3GS, but since white didn't come out, I kept waiting, and waiting....

13. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I Waite until December to finally get the 4. Realized I could sell my 3GS for more than the price of the 4 so I actually made money by upgrading (other than extending my contract). I'm very happy with the upgrade. Once you go Retina display there's no turning back.

14. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

After all the problems I had with my 4 after I got it on release day, I'll be waiting to see just how things work out this year.

I'll likely stay with the iPhone, but there are no guarantees in life, not even with Apple.

15. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I skipped the 4.
    And the 3GS.
    And the 3G.

Yep, still running the 2g, and it works just as well as it ever has. I tend not to upgrade until it becomes a fairly significant upgrade, as I'm just not into wasting my money on "small" bumps. (I use that word loosely as it applies to my situation only)

16. Dizzler macrumors regular

Still loving my 3GS

I didn't upgrade because I loved the form factor of the 3GS. I still love it and may not even upgrade to the 5 when it comes out. I will probably keep the 3GS until it dies. I don't need a camera (I already have 2 good ones). Don't need faster/more memory. It has all the apps I need. And it feels better in the hand than the 4. It's a perfect phone for me.

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yup, kept my 3GS even though I had an available discounted upgrade. I was really happy with it at the time and didn't care about upgrading.

18. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I kept my 3GS for two reasons. The first was AT&T messing my upgrade cycle (I was eligible at 4's launch but it took AT&T three weeks to accurately reflect that info) and the second was a lack of a white 4. If there is no white 5, I'll probably still upgrade though bec I doubt the 3GS will do well with iOS 5.

19. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Like many others here, I bought my 3GS day one and wasn't able to purchase the 4 right away. By the time i was eligible, it didn't seem worth it to upgrade at that point, but rather just wait it out a couple of months until we get Ipone 5 :D

20. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

+ 1

21. BlindMellon thread starter macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

i bought my 32gig 3gs 5 weeks before the iphone 4 hit the street. i was one week past my 30 day return, but the rumors at the time accurately showed (with the leak of the test unit) that it was flat, glass and had the same size 3.5" screen, so i went ahead and got the 3gs and except for the retina display, have no regrets bypassing the 4.

in addition, having played with demo units, the flat, narrower iphone4 just does not feel good in the hand to me.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, I passed on the 3G and the 3GS and went straight from a 1 to a 4.

23. wpotere Guest

Dropped my iPhone 3G for a WP7 Phone (not an option in your poll). My wife bumped up to a 4 from a 3G. Frankly I don't really miss it.

24. quadchick10 macrumors member

quadchick10

I purchased my 32 3GS two months before the Iphone 4 came out. I was happy with the 3GS, but after a year, I got bored with it. My upgrade isn't until June 2011 and I didn't want to waste my upgrade for a Iphone 4 so I purchased it at full price and when the Iphone 5 is available, I will sell the 4 and upgrade. I know...I got impatient:) I am very happy with my Iphone 4!

25. alflavor macrumors regular

I didn't get a 4 as I got my 3GS Nov 09 on a 18 month contract in the UK.

So now, in the situation of being able to upgrade the day the 5 arrives!