Did you RESTORE from a previous iPad or set up as NEW?

DctrJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
I restored my new iPad from the backup copy of my iPad 1. Everything seems to be working, however, I've read a few comments where this can cause issues.

What did you do, restore or set up as new, and why?

AlPlPlLE

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
I restored my new iPad from the backup copy of my iPad 1. Everything seems to be working, however, I've read a few comments where this can cause issues.

If it was a backup on iCloud, your fine. If it was a backup on your computer, you have chances that the software may have been corrupt and with restoring from that back up its corrupt files come to the new one.

So what software was on iPad 1 and what kind of restore did you do? iCloud or computer? The iPad may seem fine now, but I'm if you see some random or frequent crashes occurring every now and then. Those issues may lay dormant for some time and start making themselves apparent on whims and to where they happen all the time.

If you want my in my opinion, if the iPad is fine right now, I wouldn't worry about it. But if you experience freezes, hangs, crashes, reboots, apps won't open, features in apps disappear (+ in calendars, volume bar in YouTube or iPod) then you need to DFU and reinstall 5.1 and start fresh to keep those bad files away.

Here this has helped you in some way, PM me if you have any questions or just post here I guess haha :apple:

*Note* Those of you reading my post and have experienced the issues I mentioned, here's some more info.

1. If you're store from a computer backup the files can be corrupt so a fresh install and setup as new iPad is needed.

2. If you have an iCloud backup of your device that is from iCloud, then simply, DFU, reinstall software, and restore from iCloud

Remember I mentioned earlier that

**In other words, computer backups can contain corrupt files and iCloud backups differ as they can NOT contain the corrupt files. So when in doubt, use iCloud! haha

Ok I'm done. :p loll

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I set up as new...Okay it takes a little longer, putting stuff back in folders etc. but there was a lot of stuff I didn't want on my newbie, so took the chance to have a clear out of iTunes, Aperture Photostream....The lot.

acron1

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2008
Eventhough I had an original iPad that I sold shortly aferter I got it I set up the new iPad as a new one... All my old purchases were there in the App Store so no issue for me...

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

I set up as new because this is my first iPad. Then synced my apps from the iPhone to the iPad.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
I also set up as new because my previous iPads were Jailbroken and didn't want any hidden files transfering to my new iPad if any.

DctrJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
I restored from a backup on my computer. Sure saved me a lot of time. If I notice any problems I'll do a clean install when I have some extended free time.

Gatecitybee

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2011
Greensboro, NC
I did a restore from iCloud. It was pretty painless. I got some kind of notice that all my apps weren't available for downloading but whatever app it didn't grab must not have been too important because I haven't missed it.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
I also restored from the Cloud. The only problem I had was that it took so long. It took almost an hour and a half for the download to complete. But other than that it worked fine.

jpow112

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2007
restored from computer - no problems.

If I set up as a new iPad I'd need to somehow save my application data, and restore it, which would be a pain. No problems so far.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
I setup as new. Haven't connected the iPad 3 to the computer yet. All my contact and calendar events are stored in gmail or iCloud so the downloaded just fine. Only downloaded the apps I use the most instead of having a bunch I never use.

Virgo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I restored from a backup of my iPad 2 from last summer... no issues so far. (But I did have to re-do all my folders for some reason)

HeySamantha

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2012
This is a REALLY dumb question and I am judging myself lol but this is my first iPad. I've only had the iPhone4 and iPhone4S...

When I get my iPad this week, can I restore from backup and get my apps from my iphone, on my iPad?:confused:. Will my pictures from my camera roll also show up on my ipad?

kingalien

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2010
Earth
Did restore as I needed to retain settings that were done by my work IT. Synced outgoing iPad first and then restored to new and all is fine.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I restored my iPad (3rd Generation) from my iPad 2. My iPad 2 was restored from my iPad 1. I've never had a problem with the restore from backup option.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
^
This is one of those scenarios where I know you're right but I set up as new anyway.
Just seems more "pure" to me.
Dumb, I know, but doesn't really take that much longer, does it?

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
^
This is one of those scenarios where I know you're right but I set up as new anyway.
Just seems more "pure" to me.
Dumb, I know, but doesn't really take that much longer, does it?
You know if I had access to the file system and could manually move my app data like on a Mac. I would probably set it up as new.

When I get a new Mac I always pick and choose what to move over to the new machine. But the lack of a file system has always made that impossible on iOS.

Jasmynp

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
East Coast, USA
This is a REALLY dumb question and I am judging myself lol but this is my first iPad. I've only had the iPhone4 and iPhone4S...

When I get my iPad this week, can I restore from backup and get my apps from my iphone, on my iPad?:confused:. Will my pictures from my camera roll also show up on my ipad?

Not a dumb question. You'll have that option, but I'm not sure why happens if you choose it. Try it on. If it comes out weird, do a reset and set up new. You can also go to th app store and look at all the apps you've purchased for your iPhone. You can download them to your iPad that way too. Many of then won't be optimized for the iPad, but they'll work.