Did you stay on iOS 8 beta 5 or restore?

GoldenChild

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Hey guys, I want to know if you decided to stay on Beta 5 or restore back to iOS 7.1.2...

Personally, I'm happy with beta 5 and it seems a hell of a lot more stable than beta 4 was (obviously).

I'm just hoping my 5S doesn't overheat or have terrible battery.

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
Beta 5 seems much more stable than 4 was. I'm still having some weird keyboard bugs though, but otherwise, it's performing just fine :eek:

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
iOS 8 has been ready since beta 4, IMO. The only issues I'm having are on the app level.

This statement reflects my personal usage habits and your mileage may vary (sad that this has to be said but I'd rather not start an argument).

GoldenChild

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Beta 5 seems much more stable than 4 was. I'm still having some weird keyboard bugs though, but otherwise, it's performing just fine :eek:
The keyboard bugs in beta 4 were terrible, it made me restore back to 7.1.2, i've had no issues this beta 5 with keyboard (thank God). I'm just hoping the battery doesn't die sooner than I want it to, I am a heavy user... but still. Overheating is also a no-no, which I haven't experienced yet. :rolleyes:

----------

iOS 8 has been ready since beta 4, IMO. The only issues I'm having are on the app level.

This statement reflects my personal usage habits and your mileage may vary (sad that this has to be said but I'd rather not start an argument).
Ehh... the keyboard issues in beta 4 were pretty bad that I actually restored until this new beta 5 released. Plus, beta 4 also overheated on me.

Dan70

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2014
England
The keyboard bugs in beta 4 were terrible, it made me restore back to 7.1.2, i've had no issues this beta 5 with keyboard (thank God). I'm just hoping the battery doesn't die sooner than I want it to, I am a heavy user... but still. Overheating is also a no-no, which I haven't experienced yet. :rolleyes:

----------

Ehh... the keyboard issues in beta 4 were pretty bad that I actually restored until this new beta 5 released. Plus, beta 4 also overheated on me.
Me too. Beta 4 was fine for me except for keyboards and other minor things. Although having updated to beta 5, the bugs seem to have gone and everything seems a bit more refined.

Hopefully beta 6 adds in some nice improvements before the GM lands because I think beta 5 has gone well and might have been the last fix update. Hopefully we get a feature update on 6 next week.

YarnoTruly

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2014
Hey guys, I want to know if you decided to stay on Beta 5 or restore back to iOS 7.1.2...

Personally, I'm happy with beta 5 and it seems a hell of a lot more stable than beta 4 was (obviously).

I'm just hoping my 5S doesn't overheat or have terrible battery.
Beta 5 seems a lot more optimized than 4... Typically, as in past iOS release betas, you won't much improvement with the battery until Apple has optimized the code. Phone app is working MUCH better in 5 than 4, which is what sent me back to 7.1.2

doublex14

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2014
PA
Battery life is absolutely horrible on B5 and it was on B4 as well. Goes down 2-3% every 2 minutes. And I'm not even using the damn phone.

YarnoTruly

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2014
I disabled ALL background app refreshes, but yeah it's horrible & will be until GM or update 1, If..... history repeats itself.....

doublex14

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2014
PA
I disabled ALL background app refreshes, but yeah it's horrible & will be until GM or update 1, If..... history repeats itself.....
I'm gonna let the phone die and charge to 100%. If battery isn't "fixed" after that I'm going back to iOS 7

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
I'm surprised B5 works so well. Heck, I was pleased with B4. I was fully expecting it to be uselessly buggy, but it's stable enough to use it on my primary iPhone as well in addition to development testing devices.

Here's to hoping Xcode 6 B5 is as improved...

GoldenChild

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
I'm surprised B5 works so well. Heck, I was pleased with B4. I was fully expecting it to be uselessly buggy, but it's stable enough to use it on my primary iPhone as well in addition to development testing devices.

Here's to hoping Xcode 6 B5 is as improved...
Same. I haven't had any horrific experiences with beta 5 yet but if I do, I plan on restoring back to 7.1.2

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
So far I'm content with beta 5 but I was happy with beta 4 for a few days until my iPhone would get REALLY a hot even with little to no use. So far beta 5 is good, but I won't have a concrete answer on that until probably 4-5 days.

slynger

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2010
Just curious if you guys did the OTA update to beta 5 or did you get the ipsw file and do a clean install. I'm never sure which is the better way to go?

ajay96

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2013
Just curious if you guys did the OTA update to beta 5 or did you get the ipsw file and do a clean install. I'm never sure which is the better way to go?

Clean install with getting the ipsw is the best way.

slynger

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2010
Clean install with getting the ipsw is the best way.
That's what I thought. Is there a way to do that without losing everything. Whenever I do the clean install, all my apps reset and I have to start all over?

ajay96

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2013
That's what I thought. Is there a way to do that without losing everything. Whenever I do the clean install, all my apps reset and I have to start all over?

Yeah when you do a clean install it's fresh, nothing's on it. I don't believe there's a way to do it with keeping your stuff. It is worth it in my opinion, it will likely run much smoother as a clean install.

solodogg

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando
so far only an SMS bug that is pretty irritating. Trying to decide now whether to stay or go back to 7.1.2...it's getting very close! Handoff working much better, can now accept calls on my MBP Retina, no more keyboard issues...