Did you stay on iOS 8 beta 5 or restore?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by GoldenChild, Aug 4, 2014.

1. GoldenChild macrumors regular

GoldenChild

Hey guys, I want to know if you decided to stay on Beta 5 or restore back to iOS 7.1.2...

Personally, I'm happy with beta 5 and it seems a hell of a lot more stable than beta 4 was (obviously).

I'm just hoping my 5S doesn't overheat or have terrible battery.

2. Alphabetize macrumors 6502

Alphabetize

Beta 5 seems much more stable than 4 was. I'm still having some weird keyboard bugs though, but otherwise, it's performing just fine :eek:

3. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

iOS 8 has been ready since beta 4, IMO. The only issues I'm having are on the app level.

This statement reflects my personal usage habits and your mileage may vary (sad that this has to be said but I'd rather not start an argument).

4. GoldenChild thread starter macrumors regular

GoldenChild

The keyboard bugs in beta 4 were terrible, it made me restore back to 7.1.2, i've had no issues this beta 5 with keyboard (thank God). I'm just hoping the battery doesn't die sooner than I want it to, I am a heavy user... but still. Overheating is also a no-no, which I haven't experienced yet. :rolleyes:

----------

Ehh... the keyboard issues in beta 4 were pretty bad that I actually restored until this new beta 5 released. Plus, beta 4 also overheated on me.

5. Dan70 macrumors regular

Me too. Beta 4 was fine for me except for keyboards and other minor things. Although having updated to beta 5, the bugs seem to have gone and everything seems a bit more refined.

Hopefully beta 6 adds in some nice improvements before the GM lands because I think beta 5 has gone well and might have been the last fix update. Hopefully we get a feature update on 6 next week.

6. YarnoTruly macrumors newbie

Beta 5 seems a lot more optimized than 4... Typically, as in past iOS release betas, you won't much improvement with the battery until Apple has optimized the code. Phone app is working MUCH better in 5 than 4, which is what sent me back to 7.1.2

7. doublex14 macrumors regular

doublex14

Battery life is absolutely horrible on B5 and it was on B4 as well. Goes down 2-3% every 2 minutes. And I'm not even using the damn phone.

8. YarnoTruly macrumors newbie

I disabled ALL background app refreshes, but yeah it's horrible & will be until GM or update 1, If..... history repeats itself.....

9. doublex14 macrumors regular

doublex14

I'm gonna let the phone die and charge to 100%. If battery isn't "fixed" after that I'm going back to iOS 7

10. GoldenChild thread starter macrumors regular

GoldenChild

I will be doing this as well! ;)

11. doublex14 macrumors regular

doublex14

Is yours super horrible as well?!

12. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

I'm surprised B5 works so well. Heck, I was pleased with B4. I was fully expecting it to be uselessly buggy, but it's stable enough to use it on my primary iPhone as well in addition to development testing devices.

Here's to hoping Xcode 6 B5 is as improved...

13. GoldenChild thread starter macrumors regular

GoldenChild

Same. I haven't had any horrific experiences with beta 5 yet but if I do, I plan on restoring back to 7.1.2

14. doublex14 macrumors regular

doublex14

Is your battery life super bad like mine?

15. GoldenChild thread starter macrumors regular

GoldenChild

Mines actually fine as it was on 7.1.2, I also have reduced motion on.

16. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Battery is better on Beta 5 [ over Beta 4 ] for me, as of now :)

17. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

So far I'm content with beta 5 but I was happy with beta 4 for a few days until my iPhone would get REALLY a hot even with little to no use. So far beta 5 is good, but I won't have a concrete answer on that until probably 4-5 days.

18. ajay96 macrumors 6502

Still on iOS 8 Beta 5, undecided what to do yet.

19. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

20. slynger macrumors regular

slynger

Just curious if you guys did the OTA update to beta 5 or did you get the ipsw file and do a clean install. I'm never sure which is the better way to go?

21. ajay96 macrumors 6502

Clean install with getting the ipsw is the best way.

22. slynger macrumors regular

slynger

That's what I thought. Is there a way to do that without losing everything. Whenever I do the clean install, all my apps reset and I have to start all over?

23. ajay96 macrumors 6502

Yeah when you do a clean install it's fresh, nothing's on it. I don't believe there's a way to do it with keeping your stuff. It is worth it in my opinion, it will likely run much smoother as a clean install.

24. solodogg macrumors 6502

so far only an SMS bug that is pretty irritating. Trying to decide now whether to stay or go back to 7.1.2...it's getting very close! Handoff working much better, can now accept calls on my MBP Retina, no more keyboard issues...

25. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

stayed. iOS 8 is ready for release now. I'm not seeing any annoying bugs,accept for safari being slow on a5 devices, but thats to be expected.