did your iPhone4 already lose it's "smoothness" ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by essential, Aug 2, 2010.

1. essential macrumors regular

When I first upgraded to the iPhone 4 from the 3G, I was not only amazing with how much faster it was, but how smooth it was. Opening apps, switching screens, going landscape, etc.

Less than a month in, it's already lost that. Most noticeably I seem to have a stutter when I open folders, and going landscape. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen? I've done hard resets, going to do a restore soon if I can't figure anything out.

2. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

3. malevolant macrumors 6502

Try shutting it off normally and let it sit for a while while off.

4. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Try double tapping the home button and quitting all those apps?

5. essential thread starter macrumors regular

i am always doing this, hoping to notice a difference. i'm just going to restore and hope it doesn't come back.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

7. nyisles84 macrumors regular

I thought that maybe I had noticed a slight slowness to it after a while. But i think it's just being used to the speed now. I went and used my friends 3gs the other night for something and couldn't believe the difference. But if it's actually stuttering I'd say do a restore.

8. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

No.
    My iP4 is a smooth operator...hehe *grabs crouch*

9. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Not in the general OS, but I do think there's some new problems been introduced with Safari on 4.01, because I'm having some weird two or three second freezes.

Phazer

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yes. As the other posters mentioned. Close all the apps from your Recently Used App list. Two Geniuses also recommended a nightly power cycle.

11. spades1412 macrumors 6502

For me, the newness factor has started to wear off. Yeah, it doesn't feel as fast as it did the day I started using it. I'm pretty sure that's just me adjusting to the speed of the phone. My wife took my 3GS when I got the 4 and there still seems to be a night and day difference in speeds between the two. I never power the phone off or "close" out applications. Closing them completely is really not needed as they are not doing anything just sitting there in the app switcher bar. I've never understood why people continue to suggest this. For me it has made zero difference in speed or battery performance leaving them there. I currently have 49 apps in the app switcher bar.

12. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

I'd recommend steaming it in a rice cooker for about 15 minutes WITH the bumper on to regain it's original "smoothness". :apple:

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I came here to drink milk and kick ass...and I've just finished my milk. HAHAHA

14. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

It's because not all apps are created equal and play nice with the multi tasking. The other day when I checked my battery usage, it was the same as my standby, so I went to the app switcher and started closing out tehe programs one by one until I found one that was still running and eating up my battery.

15. spades1412 macrumors 6502

Which app? How was it still running?

16. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

It was sonic the hedhog 2 before the latest update. Now it seems to be working fine, but there probably still programs out there that would do the same.

17. orange42 macrumors 6502a

Yes to everything. It's not slow, but I definitely feel like it lost a step since I first got it. There is a slight delay when switching to landscape which wasn't there at first and when opening folders there is also a little delay/unsmooth transition to opening it. I don't want to restore it because I don't want 4.0.1 though...

18. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

You know, just like a computer a smartphone can benefit from a little house keeping.

Delete all those useless texts and emails.

Tidy up the app switch bar.

Reboot every now and again.

19. orange42 macrumors 6502a

I suppose it doesn't help that I have a few texts conversations from April 09 when I got my 3G saved still. And I text A LOT. But I want to save them and I have no where to because my PhoneView doesn't work?

But I always delete the apps from the multitasking bar aside from like Phone, Messages, and the usuals that are always open.

edit - And now that you can search texts that also makes me want to keep them.

20. JadedBen macrumors regular

Nope, still as 'snappy' as it was from new.

lol, such a funny show

"That man sitting there kissed me on my bike rack!"

"Good morning, that's a nice tnetennba"

21. Mortalink macrumors newbie

iPhone/Mac G5, suffering from recent software upgrade-

I'm VERY disappointed... since the recent software upgrade I have fallen out of love with my iPhone 3G while my old & faithful G5 now acts like it's Dick Cheney trying to run a marathon. I've read that others are sharing in this dilemma. I'm trying hard not to hate Apple (after converting from MS five years ago) for what I feel is an attempt to force "everyone else" (older equipment) to purchase the newest of products. Does anyone have an idea of how to fix this issue? Is there a way to revert 'back' to the previous software install without losing everything new by utilizing Time Machine? - Thx