Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple in recent months began providing customers in the U.S. with an extended opportunity to purchase AppleCare+ coverage for their iPhone after a qualifying out-of-warranty repair at an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider, according to internal Apple documentation reviewed by MacRumors.

applecare-apple-care-banner.jpg

The so-called "AppleCare+ Enrollment Exceptions" policy began in late 2021, but it was originally limited to one year after an iPhone's original purchase date. Now, the eligibility window has been extended to two years after purchase for iPhones in the U.S. only. Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers can only inform customers that this policy exists after an iPhone has been serviced, and customers have 10 days to act on it.

Normally, a customer has only 60 days after purchasing an iPhone to add AppleCare+ to the device in the U.S., but this policy gives customers who experienced a costly out-of-pocket repair a chance to reconsider AppleCare+ coverage for future repairs. The repaired iPhone must pass a visual and mechanical inspection in order to qualify.

MacRumors confirmed this policy with multiple sources, but given it is not publicly announced by Apple, we cannot guarantee that it will always be honored.

Article Link: Didn't Get AppleCare+? Getting Your iPhone Repaired May Extend Your Eligibility Up to Two Years

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
Years ago, in Europe Apple care was an extended guarantee. You get normal guarantee for a year and before the one year period ends, you have the opportunity to buy a two years Apple care. So, your product will be covered for a total of 3 years. Now you have to purchase Apple care within 60 days. Like in US, you can't just pay every month to cover for more than two years.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
interesting, so say I have a defect iPhone 11Pro, I'll have Apple do an out of warranty repair for $500, and then I can get AC+ for 2 years for like $79/year (?), seems odd

Nate Weir

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2014
Earlier this year, I had to get a warranty replacement for my Pro Display XDR because it had died and the display kept flickering black. The Apple Support team offered that I purchase three years of Apple Care for $500 because the replacement I was receiving was a new display and a "fix" out of warranty would be $2,500. When I bought the monitor, I didn't think about getting Apple Care since I planned to keep it on my desk. Super grateful they offer this now and are extending the program for up to 2 years on iPhone devices. It's paid off for me.

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I saw this first hand in store a couple weeks ago. A guy had dropped his iphone x on the sidewalk. They said they could repair it for $250 or whatever and then he could buy monthly applecare. I didn't know that was a thing and still didn't know until now that I even heard it correctly.

ripsaw650

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2015
Utah
I've heard that as long as the device is still covered under warranty they can add Apple Care+ with a visual inspection and run a diag on it...? Is this true? If so I'd love to be able to add it to my S7 Hermès and my S8 Hermès.

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
I've heard that as long as the device is still covered under warranty they can add Apple Care+ with a visual inspection and run a diag on it...? Is this true? If so I'd love to be able to add it to my S7 Hermès and my S8 Hermès.
This used to be true, but they stopped doing this 1-2 years ago. Not sure if they have changed the policy again.

Craptastic

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2020
Can I get this for AirPods or only iPhone?
This is only available for iPhones purchased in the USA with a purchase date of less than 2 years.

All other devices that have a purchase date of less than a year are eligible to add Apple Care with an in store inspection.

Beats, AirPods, and Displays are the only products with a 60 day purchase window to add Apple Care.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
I just called Apple a couple days ago because I forgot and missed the window by a week for my new MBA. I was informed that they no longer had that option. :(

MrMaxwell

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2016
DownUnder
The battery replacement under AppleCare+ seems almost like a fraud. My Apple Watch has been conveniently sitting at 80% health for MONTHS and my iPhone also hasn’t dropped from 88% in like forever either. In fact, one Apple Watch update actually had it go up from 81% to 83% again at some point 😵‍💫

Same! My Watch battery has been 81% for the whole year...so no battery replacement because it's above 80% but terrible battery life nonetheless. Hmmmm

• Wow

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
Years ago, in Europe Apple care was an extended guarantee. You get normal guarantee for a year and before the one year period ends, you have the opportunity to buy a two years Apple care. So, your product will be covered for a total of 3 years. Now you have to purchase Apple care within 60 days. Like in US, you can't just pay every month to cover for more than two years.
The transition happened everywhere. AppleCare went from being a 2 year extension of the Warranty to 3 years only, to also being a insurance policy of sorts with AppleCare+ as it covers repairs for accidental damage and damage beyond general wear and tear for a flat deductible. Hence the narrower window to purchase. Though as others have said they will typically allow you to purchase it within a year if the device is inspected.

The battery replacement under AppleCare+ seems almost like a fraud. My Apple Watch has been conveniently sitting at 80% health for MONTHS and my iPhone also hasn’t dropped from 88% in like forever either. In fact, one Apple Watch update actually had it go up from 81% to 83% again at some point 😵‍💫
Battery chemistry is very analog. The first 15-20% of capacity degrading quickly is pretty normal. My 14" M1 Pro I got on launch day dropped to 92% within 3-4 months. And actual capacity can vary depending on your environment and it is being estimated and re-estimated with each charge/discharge cycle. My current reported capacity fluctuates between 88 and 90% at any given time. Also, if you use Optimized Charging, in addition to only charging past 80% when needed, I think the OS reserves a couple of percent of capacity to avoid toping off the battery. So your battery health might be 90% but the system calibrates as if it were 87%.

Bottomline I learned is to not obsess about your battery unless it is disrupting your work or daily routine, or is telling you it needs service.

• Wow

poseidondev

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2015
As long as consumer protections in the US don't broaden to guarantee at least 2 years of operation without issues, like in the EU, Apple Care+ remains a pretty good deal.

Does it suck to have to pay for extended coverage? Definitely. But given the high cost of replacement of most of their devices, it seems like a prudent add-on, especially if your livelihood depends on a good working device.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Apple definitely can choose to not report battery health below 80% in their battery health in the first 2 years so that people would have to have Really bad battery life regardless to get the battery replaced. I had my previous Apple Watch Series 4 battery replaced despite reported 88%? 83%? Battery life. Technician keeps saying the depot would not replace the watch because of the health, ended up doing so anyway as it was noticeably Bad.
Same! My Watch battery has been 81% for the whole year...so no battery replacement because it's above 80% but terrible battery life nonetheless. Hmmmm
Keep requesting it until they allow you to sign work authorisation letter and pay the fee. I did just that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.