Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fandroid killer

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2017
I've heard that as long as the device is still covered under warranty they can add Apple Care+ with a visual inspection and run a diag on it...? Is this true? If so I'd love to be able to add it to my S7 Hermès and my S8 Hermès.
They can literally do anything for you even let you return the phone past the return date, it all depends who you land on. I got mugged at gun point in colombia and had a new iPhone stolen. I called Apple to buy the apple care plus, even though you cannot buy it unless you have the iPhone in your hand, they let me buy it anyways. and I claimed the insurance on it. They sent me a replacement and since i was still within 28 days of purchasing it, I returned the replacement phone and got a full refund. I also returned the apple care plus and basically got all my money back 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 lesson learned- u can literally get anything in life, it's all about luck and who you land on in customer support

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Free insurance money, who doesn’t want it? Apple just checked that your phone is in good condition after repairing and offer you a golden opportunity to pay Apple 20% of the purchase price for nothing! (Uh… a promise… okay, an insurance, fine).

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Neepman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
The battery replacement under AppleCare+ seems almost like a fraud. My Apple Watch has been conveniently sitting at 80% health for MONTHS and my iPhone also hasn’t dropped from 88% in like forever either. In fact, one Apple Watch update actually had it go up from 81% to 83% again at some point 😵‍💫
Yep. I bought apple care for my watch like a moron. I should have just taken 80 bucks out of the ATM and lit it on fire

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Yep. I bought apple care for my watch like a moron. I should have just taken 80 bucks out of the ATM and lit it on fire

Mine FINALLY reached 80% after sitting at 81% for over half a year, contacted Apple and they were like it’s X Euro and I am like no?! It’s included with AppleCare+ and they are like oh I am sorry, it has to be below 80% 🙄 I knowing technically says below 80% in the TnC but I know Apple from being way more customer orientated back in the day.

First thing I’ll do once it really reaches 79% is get a replacement and cancel

• Wow

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
The battery replacement under AppleCare+ seems almost like a fraud. My Apple Watch has been conveniently sitting at 80% health for MONTHS and my iPhone also hasn’t dropped from 88% in like forever either. In fact, one Apple Watch update actually had it go up from 81% to 83% again at some point 😵‍💫
Lol same. Some algorithm magic. My wife’s 13 Pro is also sitting on 88% since 6-7 months.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
I never buy it for iPhone, it just seems like a waste. I keep my phone in a case, use a screen protector, and haven't cracked or damaged one since the 3G, plus I can eat the cost of fixing or buying another out of pocket.

For my Macs, though, I always buy it. They are pricy!

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA

Try constantly running your watch down to zero and charging it back to 💯.

Ac1d 8urn

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2020
Wisconsin
I've heard that as long as the device is still covered under warranty they can add Apple Care+ with a visual inspection and run a diag on it...? Is this true? If so I'd love to be able to add it to my S7 Hermès and my S8 Hermès.

This is true, my Applecare was accidentally cancelled on my SE 3 last year but they let me add it back last week in the store after it passed diagnostics. I think it's kind of at the discretion of whoever you deal with and they won't offer it voluntarily, you have to be an informed consumer and bring it up yourself. No idea if you can do it with watches but it's worth a try.

votdfak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Same! My Watch battery has been 81% for the whole year...so no battery replacement because it's above 80% but terrible battery life nonetheless. Hmmmm
Just slam your AW as hard as you can on concrete floor and use your AC+.

votdfak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
apple care for Apple Watch is one product where I think it's bit pointless but hey somebody could trip and fall I guess
I had this conversation with Apple supervisor in Paris. There was a crack on my AW6 SS and he said it's not covered by AC+ because it's cosmetic damage. I replied what if I go around the corner and slam and destroy my watch? He said, it's fine as long as we don't see you do it.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I had this conversation with Apple supervisor in Paris. There was a crack on my AW6 SS and he said it's not covered by AC+ because it's cosmetic damage. I replied what if I go around the corner and slam and destroy my watch? He said, it's fine as long as we don't see you do it.

Yeah I don’t know why it’s not same for the iPhone which is covered I believe

Janschi

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2013
Years ago, in Europe Apple care was an extended guarantee. You get normal guarantee for a year and before the one year period ends, you have the opportunity to buy a two years Apple care. So, your product will be covered for a total of 3 years. Now you have to purchase Apple care within 60 days. Like in US, you can't just pay every month to cover for more than two years.
It used to be called Apple Care Protection Plan and you can still buy it via 3rd party suppliers.
The ACPP never was an insurance, but like you said a warranty in case parts etc fail.

Also in addition to this, you are able to pay monthly in Europe too and for longer than two years.

BipedalOS

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2022
interesting, so say I have a defect iPhone 11Pro, I'll have Apple do an out of warranty repair for $500, and then I can get AC+ for 2 years for like $79/year (?), seems odd
I’d just buy a new model if I’m spending $600

Brandon42

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2019
apple care for Apple Watch is one product where I think it's bit pointless but hey somebody could trip and fall I guess
Why would it be pointless? I had my series 4 replaced for free when it suddenly failed. Then the loose lug on sport band finally fell off. I received a brand new sport band free under the Apple Care coverage.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
As someone who has had to use AppleCare+ - nothing beats the ability to walk into the Apple Store, show then your borked device (either by your doing or their doing) and walk out with a new device in 5 mins. IMO that's worth all the $ I throw at AppleCare+. Can't get this with a Credit Card warranty.

My wife's MBP battery failed 2 years 10 months into our 3 year AppleCare+ and we got a free battery replacement (and top end case).

AppleCare+ has been good to me as has our local Apple Store. Works for me - I get it on all our devices. I understand why some people would prefer not to spend the $.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
As someone who has had to use AppleCare+ - nothing beats the ability to walk into the Apple Store, show then your borked device (either by your doing or their doing) and walk out with a new device in 5 mins. IMO that's worth all the $ I throw at AppleCare+. Can't get this with a Credit Card warranty.

My wife's MBP battery failed 2 years 10 months into our 3 year AppleCare+ and we got a free battery replacement (and top end case).

AppleCare+ has been good to me as has our local Apple Store. Works for me - I get it on all our devices. I understand why some people would prefer not to spend the $.
I get it for all of my devices as well, and also for my kids 9th generation iPads I purchased last year. It feel good going into an Apple Store and know that Apple will either or replace the device free of charge. I rather have the sense of peace by having AppleCare+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.