Didnt know Verizon 3g was this slow...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by akj27, Oct 14, 2011.

1. akj27 macrumors member

Ran speed test with wifi on, and got 9/9.40 Mbps

Ran it again with wifi turned of and got .50/.21 Mbps

What a joke...

Now I'm not comparing it to wifi, but .50/.21 is a joke, considering its almost 3am and I doubt many people are using their network at this time.

I have 4 bars in case anyone is wondering

2. JD76 macrumors member

3. akj27 thread starter macrumors member

4. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

AT&T rules

5. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

My wifi is just a tad bit faster than Verizon's 3G. I can't get it past .85/.85 Mbps. Very sad because that's cable.. Not dialup. Unfortunately it's the only service provider in this area so I have to deal with it until fios makes its way here. I'm in the Pittsburgh area. But yea their 3G sucks.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I just got 1.54 down, .14 up. Kinda surprising at two bars and since my voice service will drop all the time.

But when I go to lunch in suburban Atlanta and lose my service completely, all those "AT&T is faster" claims don't do squat for me. Heck, my roommate (lazily) called me from inside the house and said I hung up after one ring. No, I never got the call. Happens to me a lot.

7. DerekTS macrumors regular

Should have went with AT&T. Atleast we can talk on the phone and use data at the same time lol.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Verizon 3G is a joke.

Just did a test, 3Mbps down and 1.1Mbps up on AT&T.

9. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I have a Verizon iPhone and an AT&T iPad and the Verizon coverage is far superior just about everywhere I go. There are some places where AT&T is faster, but much more often than not, even though it's slower, Verizon ends up better.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Verizon and Sprint US CDMA 3G is slow in general.
    If you're lucky and with excellent coverage you will hit 1-2Mbps down but most places 0.5 or so.
    AT&T 3G is way faster and with HSDPA in some locations you will get amazing speeds.

11. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Good thing I have a MiFi for my iPhone and tablet.

This is what a 4G LTE iPhone would get. :[

Attached Files:

12. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Yeah, that's the tradeoff. Better, more reliable coverage and better voice quality for lower data speeds and no simultaneous voice + data, or vice-versa. I personally went to Verizon from AT&T with the 4S because AT&T's service was just so wretched, I couldn't take it anymore. But I never had a complaint about the data speeds (when I got a 3G connection, that is). Hopefully someday we'll get it all, but right now that's the deal. Sprint is the wildcard here. Do they offer data speeds faster than Verizon? Do they offer simultaneous voice + data? How good is the coverage, voice quality, and frequency of dropped calls. I thought about Sprint, but just wasn't willing to trust them on a 2-year contract without more information.

13. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

you can't talk and use data at the sametime if you don't have good coverage.

14. Brazzy, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011

Brazzy macrumors regular

the fastest i've gotten on att with my 4s is 6.12mbps down, 1.14mps up.

where are these 14.2 speeds that tim was talking about?

att may have ****** coverage, but i can deal with it for $30 unlimited data.

15. akj27 thread starter macrumors member

I'd still rather have Verizon than ATT. I used ATT briefly for about a month a year ago and their service was terrible, switched right back to Verizon.

16. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Where I live, AT&T is faster...when it works. Verizon, even if it's slower, has far fewer dead spots.

17. JD76 macrumors member

:eek::p

18. ieko macrumors member

Unless you want to switch to an LTE phone you're just going to have to live with it.

I get on average 10-20 up/down on LTE... It's sort of crazy...

19. Young Spade macrumors 68020

You know you can try all of them and just cancel within 30 days right? Get one for each carrier, use them all daily, and see what works out he's for you and take the others back.

Costly but it's the quickest and, IMO, best way to do it.

20. MachAF macrumors newbie

LOL. you can do that for about 5 seconds, then the call will drop. :D

21. applegirl81 macrumors member

People need to understand that any carriers coverage is going to differ from state to state or even town to town. I live in Kansas City and I have both Sprint and Verizon and they speed test EXACTLY the same. Both are about 1 down and .65-,80 up. That's just the way it is, but at least you can still talk anywhere you want!! Remember that when you hear all the at&t people bragging about their speeds!;)

22. UMJD2002 macrumors member

Just broke my AT&T contract yesterday to switch to Verizon. Yeah, the speed is slower on tests. However, I can't tell a difference when surfing the net. Plus, my service is lots better in Atlanta.

23. jerrahh macrumors regular

[​IMG]
    long island ny few mins ago and some from last night

24. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Fios won't make it around anywhere. Verizon has finished it's Fios roll out, no more new locations. Sad.. But true.

25. xjosh macrumors regular