Didn't realise what I was missing with Apple pay

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by The Game 161, Dec 17, 2015.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

used it with my phone the other day and decided to try it in a pub today to pay for drinks and lunch with my watch and wow so quick and simple. Can't believe I was so nervous about using it before today. Now I know why it is the future.

2. Older bird macrumors regular

Older bird

I was the same way. I love walking up to the drink machine at work and using it to buy a Coke. People are like "Wait, what?" Then I get to explain to them how there phone can do it too. Amazing how many people I meet that have no clue about the capabilities of their iPhone.

3. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

My girlfriend is the same, she has the 6s but Barely knows a thing about 3D Touch for example.

Using it on my watch I think gets more wow than the phone I would Imagine.

Bet be even better in a pub at night, could be a good pulling line

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

It does not always work. It seems that when it does not you are just in front of me at the checkout line!

5. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

It always works for me. I use it several times a week. It's kind of fun when the clerk hasn't seen it before and her register tells her I've paid despite the fact she hasn't seen me swipe a card or hold up a phone.

Just wish more stores accepted Apple Pay. (I'm looking at you, Stop & Shop and CVS.)

6. Qqueenie macrumors regular

Qqueenie

I don't have apple pay on my phone (it's a 5s), so getting to use it with my apple watch has been fantastic!! I'm hoping that future versions of the apple watch copy Samsung Pay so that we can use it at machines that aren't configured for touchless operation.

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

You and me both. CVS is holding out for no reason, and they've purchased RiteAid (who accepts AP), so they may as well bite the bullet.

I love being able to pay with my watch or phone. My husband has a Samsung, and is dying to use Samsung Pay, but none of his credit card accounts support it.

8. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

Um, CVS didn't buy RiteAid, Walgreens did. Walgreens supports ApplePay already.

9. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Oh right....so we still lose. Darn you, CVS!

10. cosmogs macrumors newbie

cosmogs

Come on Apple pay, we need you in Norway too! :cool:

11. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

I love Apple Pay and will choose stores that offer it over stores that don't. It makes the transaction itself fun.
    It is not no reason... CVS hitched its cart to MCX (Merchant Customer Exchange) that Walmart is spearheading. That platform sucks from a consumer point of view, so let's hope that it fails and other MCX supporters drop it in favor of Apple Pay. I will not shop at CVS, since I have a local Walgreens available to me.

12. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Wish more stores had the Apple Pay logo so you know who takes it

In uk only boots, post office and now weather spoons have that sign up.

13. Catul macrumors newbie

Here's the best part (I am enjoying the Discover card Apple Pay promotion which gives you 10% off, doubled to 20% if you took advantage of their offer earlier this year). I was paying a hefty car service bill (both our cars, brakes, new tires, etc.) at a local mom-and-pop shop. Handed him my credit card and then noticed he had a Verisign card reader that was displaying the Contactless Payments logo. I told him to stop with the credit card and used my iPhone instead (wanted to make sure it worked instead of using the Watch) - he had no idea, said he'd just got that reader and it was all brand new to him. I said let's just see if it goes through, the phone beeped and I felt the vibration as the charge went through. He was surprised, I said thanks for saving me several hundred dollars :)

14. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

makes me wonder if a place it says contactless payment does that mean apple pay will work with all of these?

15. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Not always, like the example of CVS (the watch gives a tap to register an attempt at a transaction, yet the CVS pad says "contactless payments not accepted").

Some card readers have no logo whatsoever to give any hint of contactless payment ability, but they work.

I think it's still a mess, and it's not Apple's fault, either. Take a look at every credit card reader from a UI engineer's perspective (being an "armchair engineer" is good enough). You'll see some stupid, lazy decisions made when designing the interface, like onscreen buttons that don't display a "press" state (tap it and it should change color so you can be sure it's "tapped"), or -- my most hated one -- putting the Cancel button at the right end of the signature line.

Since card reader manufacturers are terrible at designing their own machines, I'm not surprised that every other piece of the electronic payment chain has significant problems.

16. redman042 macrumors 68020

I always enjoy using Apple Pay on my watch, though it's still only doable for about 10-20% of my store purchases. Either a retailer hasn't rolled it out, or they've put in the terminals but not enabled it yet, or it's there and enabled but not working reliably (presumably because the retailer hasn't configured it correctly, since my transactions are 100% reliable at places like Whole Foods).

Then we have low-cost retailers like Walmart and Target who are apparently going to do their own pay apps with QR codes which I refuse to use. I shouldn't be surprised but I'm annoyed. I'll make sure to use my American Express whenever I can at those retailers, which costs them the most, just as a personal 'thank you' from me.

17. BarracksSi, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015

BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Used Apple Pay again, this time at BJ's (discount warehouse store) a little while ago. I didn't see any signs or logos specifically for Apple Pay, just the generic wireless payments logo at the card terminal. Worked fine.

[adding on]
    We went to Michael's, a crafts store, and they had no contactless payment at all. I can't predict where Apple Pay might be available, so I still need to carry my wallet pretty much whenever I want to shop.

18. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Here's what's really cool. I was at Staples getting some pens and shipping materials for Christmas. When I was checking out, I first used StoCard on my watch to pull up my Staples Reward Card.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stocard-rewards-cards-wallet/id444578884?mt=8

The 20-something checkout girl says "Wow, awesome" and scans the barcode on my watch with her scanner. Then I hit the side button on the watch twice, bringing up Apple Pay. I hold my wrist near the card terminal, and bingo, the amount goes through my debit card. I punch in my code. She hands me my receipt and I walk out. The whole process took about 10 seconds.

19. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

All the co-op stores around where I live have got the signs up as well. But there really does need to be more visibility with it still being relatively new to the UK.

20. BSben macrumors 6502a

Yes it works at all contactless terminals. Unfortunately there are hardly any that support transactions over £30 pounds, even Waitrose have the £30 Limit back in until further testing next year

21. Accord3 macrumors member

and Costa, Maccy D's, M&S, John Lewis, Waitrose....... the Apple Pay symbol is shown on the machine also.

22. jasie02, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015

jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Last time I pull out iPhone to use AP was May.
    Ever since I got AW, all AP are using AW, or it is back to plastic/cash.
    It is just easier NOT have to pull out iPhone and wear it on my hand so I could free both hands for the goodies just purchased, since AW already wear on my wrist, and make me look cooler. :cool:

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I suggest you test it anyway to see if Apple Pay will work. I've encountered too many clueless retailers/employees to trust their words.

See also http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/major-retailers-that-support-nfc-payments.1806254/ for a list of official and unofficial retailers that take Apple Pay.

24. Aniseedvan macrumors 6502a

When did this come into force? Admittedly husband did the last big shop and I only spent £22 in there today but I spent £220 in there a few weeks back..

25. a1psx macrumors newbie

UK only: If the merchant truly supports ApplePay (ie, M&S) then any amount should be fine on the watch/phone. If it's regular contactless payment then it's either £20 or £30 depending on if they have updated their firmware since the limit was increased.