Die Apple repair people, just die.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Chandler Adaway, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Okay, so that sounds harsh, but I'm just REALLY aggrivated right now.
    NOTE: I don't really want them to die, you can get off that subject.
    I don't think I'm wrong for being upset at the moment, but feel free to say if you think I am.

So, last Wednesday, I brought in my just over a month old Macbook (Alu) to get some cosmetic damage worked on. Basically, my dad fell and he caught his palm on the top left corner of it which caused a dent and it wasn't able to close.

So, first off, I asked some people on here, and they said about 300-500 to fix. Just to throw a fact out there, they couldn't replace JUST the top case, they have to replace it all because of the way Apple deals with those type of things. So it ended up being just short of $800.
    Which I guess is fine. I just wanted it to be done with. So they say it's going to be done on Friday of that week. They "forget" to order the part so it's going to be done on Monday.

Call in today, and they say AFTER THEY INSTALLED THE NEW CASE, the airport wasn't working at all and when they shut down the computer, instead of shutting down, sometimes it would just restart. They called me on tuesday, the day after I brought in the computer, and told me that they did a thorough check to see if anything else was wrong besides the cosmetic damage. They said everything was in perfect condition. And I KNOW nothing was wrong, because even I could get it to connect to their wifi when I was in the store, so I know for a fact that they messed that up. And the shutting down issue wasn't a problem before either.

So they send it to Apple. Whatever, just get it fixed and I'm happy. THEN, they have the guts to tell me that, "if Apple sees that the airport and shuttung down issue was caused by accidental damage, then they are going to send you a bill that you have to pay."

I'm sorry, but this made me want to explode. I was real polite with the guy on the phone, and just said, I under stand, but you do realize that even you had no issues with that before you took my computer apart right? And then he just said the same thing as quoted above.

I just think that's insane. Anyways, I just got home, and needed to vent.
    Feel free to share your opinions.. Someone agreeing with me that this is messed up would be nice to hear.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Wishing death on people is always a good measure of maturity.

3. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

4. Chandler Adaway thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Please. These guys when I walked in were basically verbally, sexually abusing this poor woman behind her back right in front of me. I honestly don't care about maturity when it comes to these folks.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Some how I dont believe people doing that would have a job....

6. Chandler Adaway thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Well, when you are doing that with the Manager, losing your job over it is unlikely.
    These guys were pigs. Worst Apple tech I've ever delt with.

7. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

Ditto

Just have Daddy pay the bill and chill, bro:D

8. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

A couple months ago at my local apple store a bunch of employees were making fun of the new guy behind his back and I felt bad and the guys there were terrible :/

ChrisN

9. fourtyoneantz macrumors member

Sorry to hear about your experience. That sucks. That's always the kind of luck I end up with too. Haha. But shouldn't your dad throw you some cash towards this anyway?

10. Chandler Adaway thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Yeah. He's been very helpful and apologetic in this situation. He's a really good guy.

11. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

honestly, that line about billing for accidental damage is a standard script that they have to say for obvious reasons.

They said the same thing to me for my previous repairs when i had my imac and macbook pro.

think of it this way, if someone had dumped coffee on their macbook and sent it in, and when they discovered the accidental damage, the customer would say, "no one told me that i might get charged"

I mean, I wouldn't want the money i paid to apple to go towards some douche who has accidental damage and tries to pass it off as apple's problem.

that's why i get upset at people who get their macbooks/iphones repaired/replaced due to accidental damage under applecare. Do i have sympathy? yes, but not at the expense of my money

people just need to accept personal responsibility instead of trying to skirt around the system (not directed at the OP, but just in society in general)

12. Chandler Adaway thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Yeah. I know what you mean.
    In my case however, they actually did mess something up.
    $800 was shelled out to fix the accidental damage. Then all this other crap happened on top of it.

Ah well.

13. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I have to admit the "just die" is a little much. How about calling the Apple care people. I heard others do this and it seems to get far.

14. mordorclaw macrumors newbie

Sorry to hear about your Applecare Nightmare. I have actually started buying all of my apple products at Best Buy and getting their 3 year replacement warranty with Accidental Damage coverage ($350). I talked to a manager and he pretty much said if the item (an Aluminum Macbook Pro in this case) is at least recognizable as a laptop, that they will replace the item with whatever the equivalent product is in release at the time. So...in two years once they have released the new version of the laptop...If i were to drop my laptop in a pool......they will replace it with the new version. Pretty good deal really. Seems expensive when you initially buy your item...but saves you from having to shell out $800 dollars when your dad accidentally falls on your laptop. Good luck getting the laptop back in one piece...hopefully they don't send you some refurbished clunker. It happens. I love apples products but their customer service sucks ass.

15. Turmoil macrumors regular

I don't get it.

You're dad dropped your computer and you call for an an Apple repair person to die for doing his job?

Sorry, sounds confused to me.

Of course they are going to say "if Apple sees that the airport and shuttung down issue was caused by accidental damage, then they are going to send you a bill that you have to pay."

How can you be surprised by that?

I'm sorry that your disappointed, but your expectations don't seem to have any relation to real life in the adult world.

Even in jest, calling for the death of people is just wrong and says much more about you than about them.

Good luck.

16. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

All I can say is, read before you sign. The paper you sign from the genius bar clearly states this.

17. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

If Apple charges him after the repair for the airport card and the restarting issue he should get his money back. He clearly states that after paying for the original repair due to the accidental damage, the Apple repair people damaged the airport card and caused the restart issue while replacing the case which they told him occurred after the case replacement and that telling him that he will have to pay for what they did is why he is mad to begin with. He clearly had no problem paying for the case replacement.

18. srmd22 macrumors newbie

holy cow, can you even read?

The guy told you that the wifi was working perfectly when he dropped of the laptop, and that it was damaged during the repair!

Also, he is obviously just venting, and clearly states he does not really want anyone to die.

Maybe you are the one that is not mature enough to understand the subtleties of frustration, exaggeration and humor-- which you could use a bit of. Why add fuel to the fire for this poor guy's frustration? Do you like getting cookie-cutter speeches from crappy customer service workers any more then anyone else? Have a heart man, and a bit of sympathy.

19. hsleiman macrumors regular

I wouldn't worry about that paper you signed too much, like someone said earlier, its just a standard repair authorization form and everyone has to sign it before apple works on your comp.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The OP starts a thread titled "Die Apple repair people, just die" and you go off on this guy for maturity?
    :rolleyes:

21. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I've never dealt with a nicer bunch of people then Apple support. Unfortunately, they're like monkeys. They're fun, but not all that useful for doing anything productive.

Just be grateful that you're getting your cosmetic damage repaired, if you did what I did and let it go, then a year later something breaks, well, that's $1200 to fix it.. $600 for the cosmetics, $300 for the fan, and $300 for a problem I've had since the day I bought the computer. Needless to say I screamed bloody hell and won't ever be buying Applecare again. Actually I might not even buy a new mac again, I was so put off.

good luck though, best of luck dealing with them!

22. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

Do you guys think these applecare/genius bar guys/techies are that well-trained at apple?

..I do not from a couple previous experiences, and do have sympathy for you Chandler(just try not to start your thread with stuff like 'kill' or 'die'...haha)

Good luck,
    CrackBookPro :cool:

23. fourtyoneantz macrumors member

i think it's pretty lame that people are seriously giving the OP a "talking to" about how it's inappropriate to wish death upon others. are we in elementary school?

instead of lecturing him on kindergarten rules why don't we just skip the bs and give him a legit answer.

i, for one, agree with you that you should not be expected to pay unless anyone from apple calls you before to let you know what they found, what has to be fixed, and how much it will cost. i disagree that they should just fix it and send a bill. i also think it's kinda bs that they just happened to "find" other problems while they were in there. especially since they were issues you hadn't had until after they opened up your MB.

24. Turmoil macrumors regular

Have you ever had a job? The man was doing his job. Wishing death on someone doing his job is WRONG. Yeah, I have sympathy. Not for some spoiled brat wishing death on working people tho.

25. Turmoil macrumors regular

The legit answer is the Apple crew are doing the job they are paid to do, IF they find that there was accidental damage the OP is responsible for it. FACT.

The legit answer is that with his attitude, he is going to find poor customer service everywhere he goes.