Die MacBook Die! The unbreakable beast!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rcanpolat, Mar 11, 2013.

1. rcanpolat macrumors member

rcanpolat

Say hello to my Crackbook! The bloody thing wont die!!! Well done Apple!

I paid around 1000 euro for this beast. I got a free printer with it which went straight to the bin a week later after it chewed up several pages.

She is a 2008 model (bought 2 weeks before the first aluminium macbook came out. I contacted apple after i got it and they told me if i had of bought it 1 week before they would take it back and replace it for a new model.. bastards. Several weeks on and the shell started to crack. I contacted Apple and i was informed that they would fix it free of charge however i would need to ship it myself at my own expense to the USA (Im Irish) I never shipped...

If Steve was still around and i met him i'd kick him in the nuts... (no offense to his family and friends)

List of problems:

• Scraping Sound From HDD
    • Fan Consistently Running at High Speed yet...
    • Machine runs hotter then a frying pan
    • Screen Flickers & Displays Odd Colors (once per day)
    • Screen Randomly Turns Off (every hour)
    • Webcam Green Light Turns On After Every Boot (force restart to solve)
    • Machine makes unfamiliar loud beep on cold startup (force restart to solve)
    • Machine was formatted 2 days ago and its horrifically slow again
    • CD Drive refuses to read/write
    • Battery Ready To Explode
    • Backplate On Battery Pealing Off
    • Mousepad Button Sticks (requires several knocks with my fist to fix)
    • Space Key Sticks (also requires several knocks to fix)
    • Charger cable has split in several areas
    • Charger cable split at the dc converter and was repaired.
    • Charger cable is now twice as long as standard charger (its a mashup of 2 apple chargers)
    • DVI Port Dead
    • Multiple Shell Cracks, Chips and Peelings and missing parts. Screws have literally fallen out of the machine!

Added to that i've cleaned out the guts (removed cat hair and several pieces of tobacco)

She is my baby...I call her Jessica

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Someone should call 311 for abuse of Apple products.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

4. rcanpolat thread starter macrumors member

rcanpolat

you reckon if i bath it she will improve? lol

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

She might dissolve :)

6. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

My god (typical exclamation coming from an atheist)!

I really have a hard time believing that this (referring to pictures) is all the result of "normal wear and tear". I've sen a lot of mishandled hardware in my times, but this takes the cake.

I think females in your vicinity should be warned... ;)

RGDS,

7. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

Way to put a whole new meaning on "Wear and tear". :eek:

8. rcanpolat thread starter macrumors member

rcanpolat

Mate i know i have no way to prove my statement but i swear to your non existant god that my machine was by no way abused by me. Its been in use since 2008 probably around 3-4 hour per day. When travelling it goes into a padded section of my bag. Besides that the above is the result.

Now i dont know but i have my suspicions... did my Macbook roll off the Derp line in Foxconn? Its almost as if the plastic is "rotting" away. Only yesterday another thin strip fell off the bezel around the screen! Soon, its going to be an aluminium shell just like the pro's... except ill probably get electrocuted every time i boot her up and snag my fingers on sharp edges.

Im just waiting for the day Apple knocks my door, apologizes and hands me a machine thats not going to crumble to dust before i do. Fat chance of that :mad:

9. du0wow macrumors newbie

Goodness, you make my 2006 MacBook looking like a spanking new machine...

10. SanJacinto macrumors regular

SanJacinto

This is not normal wear and tear. The bottom case is maybe a very rare case.
    But the display?
    How did it cracked?

I call mine Hoshi ;)

11. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

How in the world did that happen???:confused:

12. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If it were mine I'd drill small holes in the plastic to mend the cracks with thick green string stitches for a Frankenputer. :)

13. rcanpolat thread starter macrumors member

rcanpolat

i tried fixing the cracks. when you look down on the keyboard the crack on the bottom right corner on the surface was repaired. it was glued with an epoxy and polished down but it split again.

the crack on the bezel happened because on the bottom left behind the bezel the plastic started to push up off the frame around the screen which popped the bezel forward when i was closing the machine. it caught on the lip of the shell where the keyboard is and split the bezel. Along the top it just keeps peeling off, no idea why. a lot of the other cracks on the machine in my opinion happened because there was a gap between the shell and the internal frame of the machine and who ever or what ever put my machine together screwed the screws too tight into the machine causing weak spots. you can see this in one of my pics where a part of the shell collapsed in because the screw was too tight.

the plastic shell is literally rotting and rotting far too quick for plastic.

14. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Exposure to UV light will break down some plastics. I'd show it to Apple.

Maybe Bondo might work, it'll look awful though.

15. rcanpolat thread starter macrumors member

rcanpolat

If anyone has Tim Cook's email by all means send him a link :)

No Apple Stores in Ireland. Only "auth resellers" who do repairs themselves as far as i know. Apple Ireland is located in Cork but its not open to the public nor does it have an email address or anything like that. I think its full of developers and all that lark.

And even if i did contact them they wouldn't do anything for me. Its well past its guarantee. All they would offer is maybe a redressing with a new shell if they had the parts and at that it would cost several hundred which is

1: Not worth the money for an old machine
    2: No way in hell can i afford that. Im unemployed at the moment.
    3: They're not going to fix the hardware too without it racking up into the several hundreds of euro

i just learn to live with it. im just not looking forward to the day that she completely dies on me because ill have nothing then. its bad enough the shell is failing but the internals are dying too!

16. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

UV light won't be a problem in Ireland ;)

17. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Good news this Sunday is St Patricks day! Won't fix the MacBook but you'll it probably won't bother you for awhile. :)

18. rcanpolat thread starter macrumors member

rcanpolat

ill just slip into a drunken coma for a week. then reawaken to my mac nightmare lol

19. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Sounds like a plan. A green fog.

20. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

21. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I'm pretty sure there's a way you can just get a new case for the macbook. That way it'll atleast look halfway descent lol. But seriously I've never heard of a macbook breaking down THAT bad.

22. rcanpolat thread starter macrumors member

rcanpolat

its pretty costly mate, especially since its a 2008 model so i doubt they still make shells, just what is left in stock or salvaged parts. added to that the price of the hardware fixes and the labour and its going to come close to the price of a macbook pro.

maybe apple (or foxconn) skimped on the plastics ingredients because it was coming to the end of production for my model when i got it. :(

23. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

If you're into fixing computers and everything then you can do it your self for free. Also, you would have to get used parts for the case from eBay or another site like that. There are sites that can show you how to replace the top and bottom case for free. It would probably just be time consuming.

24. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Exactly. Ebay is your friend. Buy the case and replace it yourself. Here is a list of potential items for sale that might help you. FYI you are looking for the A1181 case.

iFixit has great guides about replacement instructions with photos. Upper and Lower Case instructions.

25. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

You could check for a shell on Adverts.ie - Much better than ebay IMHO.