Dieting

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by EV0LUTION, Jan 4, 2009.

1. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

Well I'm ashamed to admit it but I have become part of that overweight statistic. I'm unhealthy and need to start a diet plan. I have never dieted nor really cared about what I put in my mouth so I though I would start asking around as to what works for whom.

I'm of an Irish background, male, 6 feet tall, and 210 LBS (27.8 BMI). Has anyone been in a similar situation and lost the weight?

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Diets fail. It's all about lifestyle change. If you diet, once you reach your goal you are more likely to cheat a little, and a little more, until you are back to where you used to be plus a few pounds.

Change your lifestyle, exercise more (if you don't already), do some internet research on choosing the right foods, education is the most important issue. And don't give yourself the excuse of not having time; make the time.

Hope that's helpful. Good luck! It's a tough road but rewarding.

3. leishan macrumors 6502

I agree with the above poster--it must be a lifestyle change. "Diet" seems to be more of a temporary fix where you change your eating habit for a short period of time, then go right back to your old ways.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I've got to back up the two posters above and stress two things: calories and nutrition.

Eat foods that are low in calories but high in nutritional value (be sure to leave a few calories for the occasional snack, because if you don't, you'll fall off the horse).

At 210lbs and a male (I assume you're not too old right?), you should be able to start losing weight by consuming a maximum of 2100 calories/day.
    After you lose some weight, reduce this intake steadily (so as to not 'shock' your body into thinking that it's starving).

5. runningman macrumors regular

The first thing I see in people is beverages. Alcohol, soda, juice extremely high in calories. If you drink 2 12 oz cokes a day you have already consumed roughly 1/6 of your total daily calories in simple sugars that are either burned quickly giving you a bottoming out feeling or simply converted to fat.
    Well balanced diet, plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, limited portions, exercising 3 - 4 times/week 30 - 40 minutes at a time, get enough sleep and you should do well. If you are a snacker find some free foods that you can snack on. Also if you are still hungry after eating dinner lunch and want seconds two things to do 1) take a walk 2) wait a half hour as it will take about that period of time for your stomach to tell your brain it's full.
    Best of luck and congratulations you've done the first and hardest step of seeing it as a problem and wanting to do something about it.

6. adk macrumors 68000

adk

The simplest step is to cut out sugar filled drinks and high calorie condiments.

Soda, juices, and milk (yes, milk) all have tons of calories. If you must have soda, drink diet. Diet coke takes some getting used to but after a month or so you'll love it.

Switch to nonfat dressings. If you dip other foods in dressings like ranch and honey mustard, just stop doing it. Instead of mayo on your sandwiches, use mustard.

Taking these small steps helped me to lose 10 pounds.

7. Arcadie macrumors regular

ok well this is almost embarrassing to admit but.. I did use this pill called zylene. Its a weigh tloss pill. And before you say anything i know, i think almost all these pills are complete BS, But it did make me feel full after i barley ate anything. If you want to lose weight you still have to eat right and exercise on them but it does help basically eliminate late night cravings which kills any diet.

8. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

OP two words, WORK OUT, 6 ft and 210 isnt that bad bro, im 5'10 and that weight and I am dropping it like crazy just by running and lifting weights!! and I dont change what I eat just increased my fruit and veggie intake as well as my protein intake, which I like!

9. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Not sure I agree with you on eating mostly foods low in calories (per unit volume). Some high-calorie foods (nuts, seeds) are very good for you. The trick is to eat a variety of foods irrespective of calorie density, but eat smaller portions so your overall calorie intake is within your optimal target range. Also, my experience is that eating calorie rich foods (not desserts) help dampen your appetite, while eating low calorie foods don't. Feeling satisfied is an important strategy in weight control.

10. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I dont usually recommend programs - but you might want to try Weight Watchers. I lost 45 lbs on it and kept it off for over 5 years. Everyone in my family at one point was using their program - my one sister lost over 120 lbs and has not regained it. The program is basic and helps you change your lifestyle while teaching you about your own bodies needs.

11. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

I agree with the rest of your post, but this is simply bad information. Milk has some calories, and yes, some saturated fat, but almost any good diet/exercise program/lifestyle change incorporates adding at least skim milk.

12. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

- Try to find some healthy foods that you love, it will be easier to lose weight and keep it off if you're still eating food that you love. Experiment with new flavours, don't eat in a rush and enjoy your food.

- Usually I eat more when I'm watching tv. So I got a a little step machine and now I step when watching tv instead of eating, so I'm eating less and doing exercise at the same time.

- Another important thing is finding a type of exercise that you like, so that way you'll have fun while exercising and it won't be so hard. For me that is dancing and now I do 6 dance classes a week.

13. EV0LUTION thread starter macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

Well I did some research and figure I should be eating around 1400 callories a day and have been doing this for about a week now and have already lost 7 lbs. So its working :D

I also feel a lot more energetic

14. rubbie macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    You probably know that the most efficient way is to combine both healthy nutrition and exercises. I use the Qwave Diet system, there is a nutrition log and exercise log, where you can calculate the calories consumed and calories burned. You can try it on qwave.com
    Good luck

15. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

I strongly recommend Weight Watchers. I started in January and I'm down 25 pounds. They say it isn't a diet, its a lifestyle change and they're right. I'm eating foods I would have never touched before. Weight Watchers is great.

16. Alan S macrumors member

... and since this is a Mac forum, if you have an iPhone or an iPodTouch I would recommend downloading the application called "Lose It!" from the iTunes App store.

Keeping a daily record of what you eat and when you exercise improves the chance of success, and this is an effective application in that regard. I've found that by using it, I've learned which foods are lower in calories and make you full and which ones don't. That knowledge will help in changing your eating habits permanently.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Thanks for beating me to it, Andrew! I always tell people this, but few ever listen. Changing your body is hard work for EVERYONE. It's simply discipline and hard work.

Also very helpful is to talk to someone who's in the military. Those guys know what they're doing and will give you great advice.

18. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I was, and remain, pretty overweight. After I graduated last year, I decided to make a lot of little changes to my eating and lifestyle, which has been working great. After a lot of research, I tried to figure out how I could cut out a lot of my bad eating, but not go crazy - I am a big food fan!

What I eventually realized was that small, obvious changes really do work wonders. I started running 3-5 times a week, only for about 30 minutes (2 miles), but the changes were obvious! I also did some minor things with my eating habits - I all but cut out soda, red meat, fried foods, any sort of white carb, sweets, etc. The key here is I still allow myself to have these things very occasionally (I allow myself to eat just about anything in social situations that involve eating with other people - this is a good compromise that keeps you satisfied with the unhealthy stuff).

I have lost about 50 pounds in the 6 or 7 months I have been doing this, and I think I am still losing today. Eventually, once my body totally adjusts to these smaller changes I made, I plan on increasing the severity of changes gradually, until my eating habits will hopefully be better permanently.

19. fotografica macrumors 68040

+1 on that..It's a lifestyle change.Diet is something temporary. There are no big secrets. No quick fixes..It's a journey,not a destination..Eat right and exercise. And I'm also tired of the "but I have no time to exercise or go to the gym" line..I got tired of hearing this from my friends and relatives when they asked me how I lost all my weight. I finally told them,"Add up all the time you spend each week in front of the computer (non work related) and the television"..Then tell me how you don't have time for the gym :rolleyes: It's far too easy to make an excuse not to workout than it is too workout. If it was easy,everybody would be thin and in shape. It comes down to one simple question.How bad does one want it?

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I hate that "no time" excuse too. My parents are retired and still use it!

21. fotografica macrumors 68040

I'm also glad that all the "New Year's Resolutionists" have departed. I dread the gym in January. It's crowded,you have to wait for the machines,the people are rude and they aren't serious. They sit on the machines,talk and gab but don't even use them etc..By Valentine's Day,it starts getting back to normal once people realize what it takes..It's too bad they don't stick with it..

22. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

This is why I prefer street/cross country jogging over a gym - its too public. There are way too many weird, inconsiderate people in this world, I would much rather exercise alone.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Go first thing in the morning. That's the best time. Nobody's around and you get it out of the way. That way you don't have to think about it after work.

24. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I have been a member of a number of gyms, and certainly agree that this is great advice.

Personally, though, I find it difficult to follow. I have enough trouble waking up when I have to for work, nevermind earlier. And while I do dread running after work, it's the best way to keep me motivated - if I started running in the AM I would deff stop pretty quickly.

25. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I've been doing Weight Watchers for three weeks now, and I've already lost 9.5 pounds. It's not so much a diet, but more of a lifestyle change. You learn what you can substitute for those chips, or to eat more filling foods. It's worth the cost IMO. And yes, there is a weight watchers for men.

My doctor actually said that out of all of the weight loss plans, Weight Watchers is the best one, because they're the only weight loss company that publishes their findings and their methods and makes them available to medical professionals. In fact, he said that Weight Watchers is the only thing that he recommends when it comes to weight loss.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/men/

Don