Difference between 2011 MBP 13" and 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by newbiemacuser, Mar 24, 2011.

1. newbiemacuser macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm looking to buy a new macbook pro and this would be my first mac for a very long time and I have sadly been on PC for the last 10 years. I was wondering for the 2011 MBP what the difference between the 13" model and the 15" model is? I know the 15" has the quad-core and the 13" only has the dual-core. Does that make a huge difference in speed? And then in the 15" model the graphics are a little better, but what I'm going to use for it will be word,excel,powerpoints, an occasional video game, and maybe making some videos in imovie. I just think the 15" is too big and not really a good laptop to take on the road..maybe Im wrong, but I would love some feedback from people on what they think of the new 13 and 15 inch models in 2011. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

2. imeth macrumors regular

get the 13".. very nice size and very portable.. I am going to get the base model $1119

3. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

This may help you:
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Which_Apple_notebook_should_I_buy?

FWIW, I travel a lot (trains/subway) between various cities and I always prefer my 15" over the 13". I think the screen resolution of the 15" model more than makes up for it's size compared to the 13"...you can fit so much more on screen (if that matters to you) and it's even better with the HR models.

4. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

A friend of mine bought the new 13" a couple of weeks ago and it is a nice machine. Bigger screen is always nice IMHO, but the 13 is nice to carry and it's $600 cheaper than the base 15.

5. sbbluewater macrumors member

I opted for the 15" base model. After using Windows machines for 15 years the MBP 15" is, from my perspective, very light and very, very portable. The perfect machine for me and my old eyes. Others will find the 13" to be perfect
    for them. It just depends on how much screen real estate you need and if you need the extra graphics capability of the dedicated GPU.

6. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

I'm leaning toward the 15 for my eyes sake too. I've looked at the hi res anti-glare but I don't think I can tolerate it.

7. M Powered macrumors regular

I originally bought the 13" but switched to the 15" a few days later.

While I love the compactness of the 13" working on everyday tasks on the 15" is just more comfortable and easier, 13" IMO is a tad small. If you want compactness I would opt for an iPad as a companion for the 15" MBP.

8. josh2007 macrumors member

The cinema display and the 13" give me the best of both worlds. The 13 feels tiny compared to the 15, and much lighter. I can stare at it all day and not get fatigued, but prefer the big 27" for Logic and preparing tax returns.

9. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

Apples to Oranges...

Can you get any more vague?

You are comparing 2 different machines suited for different needs. They don't even belong in the same category. That's why you're getting 50/50 votes.

You need to prioritize what *you* need. Not what everyone else says you need.

If weight is an issue then a MBP13 combined with an external display will do the job. If power is what you need but travel is not an issue then get the 15".

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Go to the store and see which size suites you better. You're needs would be completely suited by even the white MacBook, so just go to the store and see which you like better since they will all be fine.