Difference between 4GB and 8GB in a MBP with SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrsir2009, Nov 20, 2009.

1. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Difference between 4GB and 8GB in a MBP with SSD? And what things would you have to do for it to make a difference?:rolleyes:

Cheers!

2. Pak^Man macrumors regular

Intriguing question..... this could definitely upset the applecart as to which refurb I look at!

3. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Good question. I'm curious about this as well.

4. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I won't be doing anything really that heavy, like video editing etc... But I want to know what 8GB will make a difference on. Will it make everything faster, or only heavy things?

Cheers!:D

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Not having a computer with 4gb of RAM, nor a computer with as SSD, take this with a grain of salt, but wouldn't the difference between the two be exactly the same as with a spinning drive, but less noticeable because the SSD has a faster read time*? Additionally, if you aren't going to make constant use of 4gb of RAM (unless you're really taxing your mac, you probably won't), that would leave you with 4gb or RAM that is not even being used.

*but a slower random write time, so don't use an SSD for writing large files, but I'm assuming that if you're looking to spend $$$ on an SSD you know the drawbacks.

6. aaronwilliams macrumors newbie

According to http://gizmodo.com/5160578/the-17+inch-macbook-pro-review review the speed differences are really noticeable. So I'm guessing internet browsing, video game playing, etc. They recommend buying a third parties SSD because it cheaper then Apple's version. And unless your really using some applications that are going to tax the computer pretty heavily it better be worth the $500 to $750 upgrade. Ohhh that's a lot of money for speed.

7. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Well I only have 4GB of RAM...but a SSD is DEFINATELY worth it. I'll buy 8GB when it gets cheaper, I don't really need that much RAM as I'm not editing any photos that are over 4GB (or even close to 4GB really).

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, the difference is in what you do with them. If you are the average user, 4GB will be more than enough for now. Power user, get 8GB if possible.

9. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to stick with the 4GB RAM and SSD:D

10. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I progressed from a single SSD to a RAID0 config, and then last week finally put 8 gigs of RAM into my machine. General performance on the machine didn't change at all with the extra memory. However, my Parallels XP VM is a bit more peppy. Previously when XP was running (1.5gb assigned to the VM) the machine would sometimes go into swap fairly heavily. This was compounded when I had the 9600 chip disabled and the integrated video was using shared memory. The machine would get slightly laggy when it was in this state.

Now with the 8 gigs, the machine never goes into swap. Just FYI, I'm using the GSkill 8 gig kit from New Egg and it works flawlessly.

John

11. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

If anyone is thinking of a VM, i'd recommend 8GB - I've got VMware, and also Parallels - running Windows 7 or other VMs sucks up a lot of memory. Normally with a few apps open, that 4GB can go fast. Paging can be a pain.
    SSD will give a big boost from regular MBP to SSD optibay MBP though for starters, and hopefully 8GBwill decrease in price.

12. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

I think some are missing the point. If an SSD is serving up virtual memory to the system, then it may be nearly as fast as physical RAM. The main difference between 4GB and 8GB in a MBP with an SSD might be the $450 the extra memory costs.

I would be concerned about possibly saturating the PCI bus with disk IO. Having a bunch of RAM on a separate and faster bus probably wouldn't hurt either, but the benefit is going to depend on how much memory is demanded by the applications you run.

13. johnnj macrumors 6502a

It's not even close.

According to Xbench, the maximum read on my SSD RAID0 volume is 332.7MB/Sec. The lowest memory r/w stat is 3067.48MB/Sec.

John

14. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i have 8 g's in my 13" with ssd

if i tear out a 4 gb stick, my virtual machines pass out :p

if your going to use that ram capacity, it will make the laptop faster.

8gb of ram is a must for me, i bought the kit for 487 canadian, worth every penny :D