Difference between charging an iPhone via USB and wall outlet. [My experience]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Prof., Oct 24, 2011.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I'll keep this short and to the point.

Basically, when I charge my iPhone with the outlet adaptor that came with the iPhone, it charges surprisingly fast. The downside: it also drains surprisingly fast.

The solution I found: When I charge it via USB with my MacBook, it charges surprisingly slower than it does when plugged into a wall outlet, however the battery lasts longer.

Opinion: I think charging it via USB gives the iPhone a fuller charge and gives a more accurate reading of the battery percentage.

If one person gets better battery life because of this post, I did good. Or maybe this is just my imagination. All I know is this.
    Via wall outlet: iPhone lasts from 7:15am to about 4-ish pm​
    Via USB: iPHone lasts from 7:15am to about 8:30-ish/9:00-ish​

2. Will69 macrumors regular

I have a hard time accepting this "data".

What are the differences in your day that dictate which charging method you choose ?

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That's interesting. I don't think there's a difference with my phone though.

4. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

There really are no differences monday through saturday. I get up at 7:15, go to school, come home and then work til 9-ish. My days are pretty much identical to one another. Life of a full-time college kid/employee. :D:eek:

5. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I've charged mine via USB on my computer; via wall outlet; via the speaker with dock that's in my bedroom. No differences in any of them.

6. Superbbrr macrumors member

I've noticed that wall charging charges about 2x faster than USB charging. :confused:

7. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

Doesn't the iPhone draw more power from the wall so it will charge faster? I don't think it will affect the time it last though. What I have noticed is sometimes the first ~10% of my battery goes really fast and other times it doesn't. But I always use the wall plug, just easier for me.

8. JGC1986 macrumors regular

JGC1986

Ive noticed when I charge via the wall outlet all night I wake up and it is on 92% and I have to unplug and replug it to get it to 100%. This has happened 4 times in a row...

9. Charles1313 macrumors newbie

Iphone charging

Problem is when one is using a USB attachment. Charge directly to the CPU and no problem....