Difference between Mac/PC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by canes960, Jul 6, 2009.

1. canes960 macrumors 6502

whats the key diff. between a MBP and a normal laptop .
    What im asking why should i pay the extra dollar for a MBP then any other laptop

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

3. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Its all about the OS, Seamless integration between hardware and software, and the all inclusive service of all of the above.

PS u might want to search before u post. there are a lot of threads about this kind of topic.

4. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

umm..... Mac OS X?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

6. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

Scale 1-10 how hard is it 2 change from mac 2 pc

10 hardest

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Varies from person to person. I switched in middle school with no help. I turned the computer and within two weeks had felt that I was fairly proficient, I had no help and didn't bother to visit places like these. Mind you, I was in the sixth grade. It'd be much harder going the other way I imagine. If you are really that concerned sign up for 1-to-1.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why would I want to change from a Mac to a pc. The hardware is the best designed and best looking. The OS is much better then anything that M$ can do. Plus it doesn't have viruses, nor do I have to worry about the OS phoning home to M$ or any issues with activation.

All in all, its a much better designed, running, OS

9. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

I say a 2 , if you know how to use a computer , you will know how to use a mac

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'm almost positive that he was referring to the other way around.

11. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I switched when I needed a laptop for college, for me I'd say it was 2 or 3 on the scale. Not very difficult. Just had to learn some keys but now I love it.
    I was an avid windows user and was very capable with the OS, but I was just not digging it anymore.

12. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

i ment pc 2 mac

13. Jongewehr macrumors 6502

i switched 2 months ago.

an i would say a 2 or 3 the most
    it took me a week or 2 to get used to it.

i had a "idea" of how everything worked. i googled it an looked at youtube videos of how it works. (i recommend)

an i love it, a PC feels old an clunky compaired to a mac.
    things make more sense (for the most part) on a mac.

BUY ONE! you will NOT regret it.:apple::apple::apple::apple:

14. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

It was a bit confusing for the first hour, but once you figure out the basics (launching applications via spotlight, navigating for files in finder, realizing that the command key replaces control in commonly used keystrokes, etc), you won't have many (if any) problems.
    Judging by your poor grammar, I'm guessing you only use a computer for MySpace, Facebook, YouTube, online games, and/or email, so you won't have to adjust to many other differences.

15. cababah macrumors 68000

3 for me. Going from something complicated to something simpler and more user-friendly makes it a good transition.

I think of Windows/Mac as cars. Windows is like the race car you keep working on all the time but it has so many options to make it fast..you just got to work on it all the time because it breaks down.

Mac is one of those cars that may not be as high-end as the race car but you can just turn on the key and drive it and enjoy other things besides constantly having to worry about the car needing maintanence.

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

As others have said, it is all about OS X
    In addition, there is the style and form factor

Other things are related to OS X
    - The "no virus" factor
    - The software integration (iLife, iWork, etc.)
    - The look and feel of all Mac software in the UI

Some will argue that the specs of the hardware are less for more $$
    Nobody will seriously dispute it, although the gap is not as wide as some would say
    Some will also point to Blu-ray and other issues

For me... the tradeoffs are all worth the Mac user experience

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Your mileage may vary.

18. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Perhaps, but the interface is far more consistent than that found in Windows

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

19. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

I used to be deathly opposed to Macs for one reason: Mac Fanboys.

Anyway, I got my first Mac just over a week ago, and have only one thing to say:

I can't believe I didn't make the switch earlier.

It only took about 2-3 days to figure everything out (as a first-time Mac user) to the point where I feel comfortable doing anything on my Mac that I've done in Windows. Seriously though, EVERYTHING is so much easier, it's absolutely ridiculous.

Most program installations simply involve a drag and drop, no registry or weird setups.

[​IMG]

Yesterday, it took my Mac LESS time to locate and install my printer WIRELESSLY, then proceed to print something than it did for my PC laptop to finish loading my desktop.

OSX 'magically' found my printer and within seconds it was ready to use. You know what I had to do in Windows? Go through several tedious steps which involved me downloading and installing drivers, an HP utility which somehow installed itself and starts automatically on startup, and a completely unnecessary reboot. You know what happened under OSX? IT JUST WORKED.

[​IMG]

It really doesn't take that long to get used to it. The functions in OSX are a lot more accessible compared to windows, which tends to hide things. I have a barebone version of XP in parallels and windows 7 in boot camp JUST in case, but to this point I've never had to actually use either since I was able to find OSX versions of all my programs.

I know I haven't been using OSX for very long, but as a lifetime Windows user I can honestly say I've started appreciating OSX more and more. It's like they made an OS for humans. Make the right choice and buy a Mac. You won't regret it.

20. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

I would say 1, but I'm a computer science major...

21. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

BINGO

22. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I think that Windows is more consistent. I'll give you some examples.

1. iPhoto and iTunes have flattened scroll bars while the main OS does not.

2. GarageBand has the traffic light buttons by default, Logic has gray by default.

3. Leopard has leftover elements of Tiger in Keynote, iChat, X11, and others I'm sure.

4. Some apps, like Quicksilver, have a deviating font in the menubar and titlebar.

In Windows, everything has the (IMO) nice Aero look with consistent scroll bars and buttons and fonts.

These aren't inconsistencies, but problems with OS X:

1. When you delete a row or more of folders, you have to scroll up for the scroll bar to shorten.

2. I figured this one out, but clicking the close button on some apps quits it and on some it just closes the window.

3. Like I said before, the leftover UI elements.

4. Stacks don't work to great. SL will fix that. And I feel that it shouldn't be called a stack because that was the name for a HyperCard file.

5. Some complain of crappy mouse acceleration, but I don't notice anything.

23. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

The hardest thing to get used to is the dock, and minimizing/closing windows on the left side of the window. Also, not over thinking when installing software and other stuff.

24. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

• Mac OSX
    • Build quality
    • Apple put the laptop together and write the OS
    • No viruses
    • Ease of use
    • Style
    • Most devices work with the mac straight away
    • Time machine
    • You don't get dumb bundled trials and crappy software, you get quality like iLife
    • And Snow Leopard will make it all even better, not to mention that ridiculously low upgrade price

25. Kobra macrumors regular

Kobra

I made the switch three weeks ago, been a windows user since Windows 3.1 :) On your scale, I'd say it was/is a "2" for me.

My first hurdle was to get over the basic fact that a window in OS X represents a document and not a application - closing the window doesn't terminate the application. The OS X way of handling applications and documents is more logical once you get your head around it.

My second hurdle is that in the Finder ( equivalent of the windows explorer) OS X doesn't differentiate folders from files, everything is sorted alphabetically despite the type. This is a bit stupid if you ask me, I've read in some forums that some long time MAC users name their folder with a underscore at the beginning to get them sorted to the top of the list.

My third hurdle is to reprogram my brain to use the command button ("apple key") instead of the control when typing keyboard short cuts (like cmd C, cmd X and cmd V). This is not a biggie, but sometimes annoying. But I guess that's what you get after 15-or-so years on a Windows PC ;)

My forth hurdle is to get used to the way the different OS's renders text on screen (TrueType Fonts). Mac OS X has a "softer" rendering than the razor sharp Windows rendering. Not a problem, just something to get used to...

It's so refreshing and stress free to have a computer and OS that's been maximized for each other: No dodginess because of ill written and badly implemented code, no crashes because of bad drivers and dll's - this is something the guys over at MS can only dream of, as long as Windows is on a "open" hardware platform the users will suffer...

All in all though, I LOVE my new MacBook Pro and OS X! Like someone else said, Windows didn't do it for me anymore and I grew sick and tired of it. I've got a kick out of learning everything from the ground up once more. I'm eagerly awaiting the new and forthcoming Snow Leopard, I'm in for the long run! :p