Difference between S0 and S3 for workouts?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dcpmark, Sep 25, 2017.

1. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

I have both now, and I’m thinking about keeping a sports band on my S0 and just using it for workouts while using my S3 with a nice band the rest of the day rather than change bands back and forth every day. I have a home gym so the workout info from the S0 will make it to my iPhone.

Is there any advantage to using the S3 for workouts over the S0?

2. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I think it largely depends on what type of workouts. In your basement, no. Movement outdoors, yes.

3. dcpmark thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking, but wanted to make sure. No GPS needed for me....I have a home gym with treadmill, elliptical, and functional trainer so I never have to go anywhere else.

4. ftaok, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017

ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

5. dcpmark thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is the kind of info I was looking for....thanks. I wasn’t sure what was improved with iOS4, and therefore available to the S0, or solely due to new hardware in the S3.

6. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

Yeah the S3 will definitely have the better heart rate metrics. Just a guess on my end but the altimeter in the S3 may assist in some way too with tracking movement.

7. hface119 macrumors member

But would the heart rate metrics be THAT much more improved? I would look at that like a cost/benefit of using an older watch for workouts and a new watch for everything else. Most people don't have that option haha, but if you do - might as well use the old for workouts and keep the new one looking nice. I highly doubt you would see any real difference in your scenario.

8. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

9. dcpmark thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok....so according to this, I wouldn’t really lose anything with my plan to use my S0 as a dedicated workout watch while my S3 would take resting HR the rest of the day.....nice!!

10. PTLove macrumors 6502

For indoor use I cant imagine it matters too much. The biggest thing the S3 has over the S0 is the GPS tracking and the altimeter, neither of which apply for indoors.