Differences between generations?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by IHSV, Aug 3, 2012.

1. IHSV, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

IHSV macrumors newbie

About 3 months or so ago I switched to Mac and now am looking to buy a Mac mini to go along with my mbp. My question is about the differences (not just cosmetic) between the present and previous models.

I am not going to really be using it for anything other than basically a media center for my apt. so while it does not need to have ridiculous specs. it needs to be able to play and store a lot of hd content. Also, I have every intention of running it to my TV through HDMi. Do they both have said connection?

And once I decide on the model what should I be looking at price wise? I am not looking to spend nearly what Apple has them retailing for and intend to buy used or refurbished.

Any help is appreciated

2. Poki macrumors 6502a

Poki

About ten seconds in Google would give you all your answers ... Just buy the entry 2011 model, or - if you want a DVD player, any 2010 model.

3. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

The 2010 2.4 base model can run snow leopard, lion and mountain lion. It has a dvd player. It can use up to 8gb ram. It has held value very well due to the ability to run snow leopard lion and mountain lion along with its dvd player. Finding a refurb at apple is very difficult. apple online has it for 469 plus tax. 2 down side items are cpu is slow. it doe not have thunderbolt.

The base 2011 can only run snow leopard with a hack. It runs lion and mountain lion. the sandy bridge cpu is much fasster then the 2010 model.
    It lacks a dvd player. It is 519 as an apple online refurbished model.

The 2011 comes with 2gb ram it needs a ram upgrade to 8gb (the sweet spot) the 2011 can use 16gb ram. If you want to run windows 7 buy a 2011 and put in 8gb or 16gb ram. If you want a dvd player buy the 2010.

4. IHSV thread starter macrumors newbie

Apparently not, why I asked here...

philipma1957

I appreciate it, the 2010 seems like the way to go. My only concern is if theres and HDMI port, however that is a pretty "googleable" question. So I can figure that out.

5. Poki macrumors 6502a

Poki

Yeah, it has. However, it's limited to 1920x1200 pixels. If you need more, maybe a MiniDP-HDMI adapter can deliver 1440p, but I'm not sure if OSX allows it.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. AppleTeam macrumors newbie

I would go for the 2012 Mac Mini have the much better performance and buy the external MacBook Air Superdrive, and just put up with the fact that the DVD player is not integrated.

Witch is not that bad I guess since the Superdrive is IMO a quite fragile peace of kit and if it breaks just buy a new one without the hassle of having to open up the mini etc.. etc.. :)

AppleTeam

8. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Well if an external hard drive+Superdrive than look at the miniStack Max to use with your new Mini.

9. ivnj macrumors 65816

Cool never heard of that. Too bad they haven't announced pricing yet.

10. Candunc macrumors member

Same, I want to buy one and a new Mac mini to game on and stuff, and still have an external HDD to time machine and a CD Drive

11. Rapscallion macrumors regular

If you go to the refurb store now you can grab a 2010 model, but you better hurry it may be gone by the time you read this.

12. blanka macrumors 68000

The 5.2 (radeon) model runs Snow Leopard great too, and the server probably as well. The hack is very minimal. It is no rocket science. The 2011 is twice as fast as the 2010, so you need a very good reason to still buy the 2010 (half the price is an OK reason).

13. philipma1957, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

My original post on this 2010 2.4 Is why it sells so well even though it is an older machine.
    dvd player and it runs quiet and cool. The soft ware is an added bonus

I have 2x 2011 minis and I did a snow leopard hack on one.You are correct that it is not rocket science but it involves having access to other macs with the correct software to make the clones to do the hack. The 2010 just boots right out of the box. On this website so what, but in the real world major seller.

I also have a 2010 why because in its use I have to have a dvd player in the machine. Or I could buy a 27 inch iMac and pay 1400 vs 500.
    I have a 32 inch wall mounted tv and a wall mounted 2010 mac mini, The prime use is dvr/dvd player with lite net use.
    So for 800 (tv + mini) I get all that I need.

The imac is about 1400 plus tax

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC511LL/A

This would do as a replacement with tax it is more like 1500. And it has an inferior screen! whattt! how can that be true. 32 inch 1080p at four feet is better then 27 inch 1440p imac at four feet. Since this setup in my kitchen has had the 27 inch imac at four feet and the 32 inch jvc at four feet I am certain that I am correct. Basically the print is too small on the iMac at 4 feet so you set it to 720p to be able to read it. so even though both pictures look good the jvc is matte and the imac is glossy that is a win for the jvc second the jvc is 32 inch the imac is 27 inch and bigger is better in this case.

Many people want a wall mounted tv + mini combo. Plus they want the dvd player. The 2.4 2010 mac mini is the king of the world in this application.