Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPod touch Differences between the 8GB and 32GB iPod Touch 5th Gen

SlickBlackJesus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Anybody know if there are any differences between the 8, 32 and 64 GB, 5th Gen iPod Touch's? I know in previous generations the screen and processor were different.

SlickBlackJesus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
so its just an upgraded version of the original 4th gen? What are the upgrades? Does it have the A5 chip?

SlickBlackJesus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
I though there was a new generation every year. Does that mean we wait another year for the 5th G?

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Typically there is a new generation every year. By current guesses, the new 5G iPod Touches will be released in September/October of 2012.

SlickBlackJesus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
So what is the name of this iPod? 4 1/2 Gen? Im assuming we need to buy a new protective case since its shaped differently.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
They are exactly the same. They are not shaped differently. They are still called the iPod Touch 4G.

Sparkko

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
In a box
So what is the name of this iPod? 4 1/2 Gen? Im assuming we need to buy a new protective case since its shaped differently.

Its not shaped differently. It is the EXACT same iPod touch design from last year. Nothing has changed regarding the hardware and design of the device.
The only difference is it comes in white now, and is shipped with iOS5.:(

Sparkko

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
In a box
gay. didnt the iphone 4 get an upgrade to 4S. why does the ipod touch get left in the dust :(

Tell me about it...
The iPod Touch is becoming irrelevant.

The iPhone and iPad are Apple's new top priority because they are selling the best.
I have a feeling the Touch may be EOL soon...

Sparkko

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
In a box
Agreed

Apple claimed it was #1 game device , yet nothing is improved or added. Pathetic.

Yep...
The stupid thing is they are releasing new advanced games only available for the iPhone and iPad, but not their "gaming platform" the iPod Touch.
What the heck were they thinking when they didn't put their A5 processor in the Touch??????

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
What the heck were they thinking when they didn't put their A5 processor in the Touch??????

They did it purposefully to create a difference between iPhone and iPod Touch. From now on, iPod Touch will always have a gen. old hardware:(

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Tell me about it...
The iPod Touch is becoming irrelevant.

The iPhone and iPad are Apple's new top priority because they are selling the best.
I have a feeling the Touch may be EOL soon...

I think the iPod Touch is such a nice little device. It's perfect for music player and calendar. Now if it just had a 3G data connection...

pob42

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2011
Sheffield, UK
Just to clarify, these are not new iPod Touch devices. I bought a white one on Wednesday for my son and the receipt says:

iPod￿Touch￿32G￿(4TH￿GEN)￿White
Part￿Number:￿MD058BT/A

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
A downer for sure the lack of an A5, but I bought one, the 8GB model. It can hold me over and allow me to depend on iOS 5 until December when I can upgrade to a iPhone 4GS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.