Digital SLR for girlfriend.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mulo, May 11, 2011.

1. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

So it's my girlfriends birthday in a weeks time and i'm looking to get her a Digital SLR camera, but I don't know anything about it, so I figured i'd ask you guys! :)

she's by no means a professional, more like an amateur but she likes taking pictures, which in this case is what's important.

so basically any suggestions are welcome, my budget is around $800-1200 - and that has to be with an average/good all-round lens, included or not.

2. wpotere Guest

3. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I have a Nikon D40x. Its one of the lower end models but has a great standard lens that alot of people are surprised by.

4. dalexa macrumors member

get the one wpotere said and a 50/1.8 lens
    (it's cheap and it's great)

after that invest slowly in the best lenses and when you/she thinks it's time get a improve the camera

remember, cameras always change... lenses stay the same so it's always best to spend more money in high quality lenses than in the camera

(oh, i mentioned canon but it's valid for nikon, sony, panasonic, olympus, leica, whatever)

5. Ish macrumors 68010

Ish

I haven't used this camera but I've seen some brilliant pictures on this forum taken with it.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'd pick up a D5000. It was Nikon's step up from their cheapest SLR last year, but since it's now a year old, you can pick it up for $600, rather than the $800+ it was going for.

Spend the rest on glass.

7. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Does she already have a camera with interchangeable lenses? If so, what brand? If not, the best thing to do is to let her handle the Canon and Nikon cameras in her price range and tell you which she prefers-- it's a long-term choice, so it's best to decide up-front by feel if you don't have any additional criteria.

Paul

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Does she actually want a DSLR? I don't meet many female non-pros who want to lug one of those around.

9. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

That's sexist. I know lots of females with DSLRs. In terms of aspiring pros, I believe they now outnumber the men in most areas of the US-- most of them probably start as amateurs with a first DSLR.

Paul

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No, it's not- it's a statement based on observation... just like yours.

Citation needed.

11. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Ok, it's a sexist observation. :p

I don't have a direct citation- it's anecdotal from people i know who attend seminars regularly, however this should help show that it's not an anomaly:

http://www.infotrends.com/public/Content/Press/2009/08.25.2009.html
    http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/PMA-Survey-Shows-More-DSLR-Users-Female-13429.htm
    (Emphasis mine.)

Both of these links would seem to indicate that your observation is skewed when compared to the market.

Paul

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why is it a sexist observation? There are only two, you know.

Granted that is more hard evidence than observation, but I wouldn't exactly call statistics citing who plans to buy a DSLR and a survey that separates the ownership of a DSLR by two percentage points "solid evidence."

13. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Solid evidence to my point that they seem to be in the majority in many areas? Sure, I'll give you that one- that's well within the margin of error and intent doesn't equal purchase for sure- but solid evidence that you're mistaken, I think I'd win that even if they were off by 25%. The thought that the DSLR world is an overwhelmingly male-dominated one is obviously mistaken, and I do think that is an important point.

Paul

14. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

A lot of my girlfriends want a DSLR actually and it is in their list of eventual purchases...so not really off base here.

To OP - how about a micro four thirds camera? It would appeal to the stylish side of her and offer solid IQ.

15. mousemd macrumors member

Back on topic ...

Good for you to think of something that expensive for your gf...
    I like the canon line. The new t3i rebel with kit lens is a neat way to start off with a lot of bang for your buck. If she gets serious she can always upgrade the lens and still do well. Remember it's not always the camera that makes a good picture it's the photographer never the gear. Granted I am saying this on an apple site so I am sure most folks are going to talk about the latest and greatest (me too).

16. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I second that. u43 systems offer a lot of the IQ and lens selection (either straight or adapted) available from a DSLR setup without a lot of the size and weight. I have a Panny GF1 and it's quite a nice camera.

I'm not mentioning size and weight as a gender-related issue. I prefer smaller and lighter cameras, too. When I got my 1DsMk2 I showed it to my wife and she said "was that a mistake?". I responded "yeah, probably".

Oh, and to touch on the previously stated statistical analyses, I have observed that 99% of tourists (of both genders) in NYC carry DSLRs with the lens caps on.

17. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

The Sony NEX systems seem pretty solid.

Also, for the record, I'm a female and I shoot with a 5D Mark II :p

18. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Nooo! That's a big heavy MAN'S camera! :D

In all seriousness, I hope you start posting in the POTD thread!

Paul

19. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Beware of prime lenses - most girls can't grasp the concept of manual zoom :p

I am speaking from experience of a friend who just got a nifty fifty from her bf.

20. mulo thread starter macrumors 68020

mulo

funny, she actually specifically spoke about how she liked the manual zoom

Enlighten me please, I have no clue what that is. I obviously don't know enough about cameras!

no, this will be her starter package

21. adrian.oconnor macrumors 6502

In that case, why would you want to beware of prime lenses? Prime lenses don't zoom.

And it's really silly saying 'most girls' when your sum-total experience is of one friend's girlfriend struggling with the manual zoom. My wife struggled with manual zoom the first time she used our Rebel XT -- it took her all of 2 minutes to figure it out though. I'm sure I struggled with zoom the first time my dad handed me his SLR to play with as a youngster. I don't think girls struggle any more than boys.

As for the original poster -- I agree that the Rebel T2i is currently the best camera for people starting out with a digital SLR -- it's available at a great price since the T3i came long, and it's an incredible camera. The included kit lens is more than good enough to last a few years while she learns the ropes. Also, get Aperture and shoot in RAW (not JPEG) -- the results tend to be much more satisfying.

22. mulo thread starter macrumors 68020

mulo

note taken, thank you!
    I'm also liking the looks of the T2i rebel a lot. it being canon is also a factor for me, the experience i've had with canon has always been positive!

23. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

A prime doesn't zoom, the poster was referring to what's popularly known as "zooming with your feet."

It's a consortium of manufacturers who put out a small-sensored camera- the cameras are smaller than typical DSLRs and not a bad alternative to the top two (Nikon and Canon) because there is more than one manufacturer, so the chance of an orphaned system is lower than with say Pentax. Smaller sensors mean a bit more noise, and there are a few "pancake" lenses which trade some image quality for compact size.

If she doesn't already have any lenses left over from the film days, then I'd recommend going with her to a camera store that's fairly well stocked and letting her try out the entry-level cameras to see which is the most comfortable for her to shoot with, as well as a couple of higher-end ones to get an idea of the ergonomics for the entire brand.

Paul

24. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I would also suggest the T2i. I picked mine up as a refurb a few months ago and love it. The kit lens really is a nice lens. The only real difference between it and the new T3i for a beginner is the articulating screen. For me, the lower price on the T2i is definitely the better value.

But as others have said, different brands have different feels.

25. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

A Nikon 5100/3100 or a Canon Rebel would probably be best. µ4/3 cameras are decent (I use a GF1), especially for video, but the system as a whole isn't quite mature.

As to the "girls and DSLRs" issue - walking around nyc, there are plenty of people of both sexes who carry DSLRs (usually Canon Rebels), although I often see men who choose to lug around D3s and 1Ds, but rarely women.